• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Smoke Break" is an entitlement??

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I simply don't understand why smokers think it's their god given right to just go off on "smoke breaks" at work. We've all seen it, 10 extra mins after lunch, bring a cup of coffee/can of drink out in the middle of work, after/before meetings...etc...

So is this right?? While everyone is at work, being an addict entitles them to go off whenever they feel like it, so that they can drink, smoke and chat with their smoking buddy?? Sometime disrupting or delaying other people's work. Must we be considerate to these kind of people and don't be so calculative?? Should smokers be thankful for other people's consideration and treat it as a privilege instead of an entitlement??

This is just the work aspect, there are plenty of another things to talk if we want to open up this can of worms. :o

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
well i guess a common reason is if the person doesnt smoke, he cannot concentrate on his work so he needs his smoke. and since smoking is banned in offices etc, he got no choice but to go outside and smoke.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
smokers usually after food will light up a stick.
even when pang sai.

if they go smoke for 10min, the company will collapse?
or they go smoke, u will be given the task to do their job for the 10min?
no rite?

give n take la.

furthermore, take a min break to wind down also gd ma.

then toilet break how ah?

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
smokers usually after food will light up a stick.
even when pang sai.

no rite?

give n take la.

furthermore, take a min break to wind down also gd ma.

When someone wants to "keng", any reason also can lah. Smokers like to smoke when working... that's whe we think best, but not an option for most lah :wink: Lucky my room is smoking zone :biggrin:

redname

Alfrescian
Loyal
entitlement means somehing tht everyone shld be able to enjoy. in tis case, the break shld be seen as a privilege.

i believe the management shld make known to everyone their stand of having privileges, whether they support or not and let the smokers know its a privilege so that they won't abuse it.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
no rite?

What I'm trying to address here is is their attitude. They think it's their god given right. So next time if you ask someone to do something or go for a meeting, he say wait 10 mins I need to smoke first, like it's their entitlement, so we must be considerate??

So if I'm a non-smoker, but I feel like taking a break so I just take the lift down, buy a drink and walk around for 10 mins a few times everyday, what would my boss think of me??

Certain things we have to do, certain things it's our own free choice. If you choose to do something then jolly well do it in your own free time?? Don't behave like we OWE it to you??

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..Don't behave like we OWE it to you??
did ur co-staff show tat? if they do, then itz their wrong.

but, if anything have to carry out first, juz tell them dun go for their ciggy break lor.
afterall u all r colleagues, say it out lor.

Pica_NA

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm.. in my ex-company, smoke break is a chance for us to build rapport and also to exchange news... somehow, i managed to speed things/process for my project and also to avoid many hidden traps ... all thanks to the information I got during smoking break.. :biggrin:

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't smoke, but tea breaks are great times to reconnect with colleagues over an informal cuppa. Sometimes, I conduct team meetings at a coffeeshop, just to get everyone out of the office. Works well.

Toilet breaks are great too. Deny me that, and I'd piss on the carpet. Lose-lose situation!

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm.. in my ex-company, smoke break is a chance for us to build rapport and also to exchange news... somehow, i managed to speed things/process for my project and also to avoid many hidden traps ... all thanks to the information I got during smoking break.. :biggrin:

correct. a lot of office politics can be divulged during lunchbreak, tea breaks etc. great for bonding as well

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, clearly it's no god given right for ciggie break. Just 1 of my few vices (aka one of life's simple pleasures left :o).
..somehow, i managed to speed things/process for my project and also to avoid many hidden traps ... all thanks to the information I got during smoking break..
Yo, some work intel and bit info planting on colleagues too
pia said:
..that's whe we think best, but not an option for most lah Lucky my room is smoking zone
Lucky you, smokeout?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm a smoker myself. When eating with non-smokers, I time my finishing the meal 5-10 minutes before non-smokers, so that I can go off and smoke.

In the case mentioned about working hours, I agree with the non-smoker's point of view. Taking extra 5-10 minutes extra to smoke amounts to cheating on working hours. Should finish the meal quicker if one wants to smoke.

toolanliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is not an entitlement but i don't think you work the full eight or nine hours right? especially office workers, most surf and msn a lot which is an even bigger waste of time.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think the smoker can be replaced easily with someone who doesn't smoke, just fire him.

If he contributes to the bottomline of the company, then you lan lan.

I take 5-6 smoke breaks a day, but I don't go out for lunch.