• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traffic jams at both CIQs (Woodlands Causeway and Tuas 2nd Link)

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Not bad being a Malaysian (at least in JB)

You forgot to factor in the road tax, insurance and petrol.

For a normal JB vehicle, one year they use about 4000 litre of petrol. For RON 95 they save RM 4000 per year and RM 40,000 over 10 years

For insurance, a normal JB car I have is just S$300 compared to S$2000 for Singapore per year. Over 10 years, you know the difference

For Road tax, my Malaysia 1.4 litre car cost just S$50 per year compared to my Singapore car at S$700 per year. Over 10 years, you know the difference

S$20 VEP is a thing of the past and is being misused by Work pass holders etc who are enjoying the best of both worlds. $20 VEP applies when a COE is $10K and below. Now it is irrelevant.

On top of that, VEP is waived from 12 noon during June and December holidays. So if they come in a 3 hours later than usual to earn a living, that is another savings of (4 weeks + 8 weeks) x $100 = $1,200 per annum.

Malaysian drive cheap cars in Singapore with dark tinted windows. Use cheap petrol and pay cheap road taxes. Actually not bad being a Malaysian (at least in Johor Bahru) don't you think. Kids no need to do NS. Hmmmm, wonder if Malaysia wants me. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Two barrier arms at Singapore Tuas immigration lanes

But be prepared for about 1 hour's wait Singapore side.

Be prepared for more in the future ..

Johor reclamation work has stopped.

Why should they? Lots of tua liap people involved. Area reclaimed less than 50 acres (49 acres) so no need environmental impact assessment. Very crafty move. Kudos.

Does this mean the Singapore government will now solve the traffic jams issues? :smile:

Hahahaha. TKK (wait long long)

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Seems contractors are putting up more second barriers at immigration lanes.

Better make sure your car stocked with drinks and food.

Oh yes, empty bottle too for bladder clearing.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

So many sour grapes here...

I'm already thankful Malaysia doesnt charge me $20 SGD for driving into Malaysia.

Be careful what you wish for.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you bother to do your sum. It cost only tiny fraction of their salary to work in Singapore. Usually when a Malaysian car enters into Singapore. They will take in 4 passengers in a car.

$20 Per Entry x 5 Days x 52 Weeks = $5200 on tolls per year. But please do remember, as Malaysians are rather enterprising. They will pack as many people inside a car when they enter Singapore. So effectively, it cost $5200/4 = $1300 Per person a year.

If you take into account $1300 / 52 weeks = $25 per week per person.

So i think this is a very tiny tiny portion of income per person must give up if they want to work in Singapore. Overall , they are still the biggest winners. They earn good salary in Singkie Dollar and spend in RM.

Yes I have seen before 3 or 4 people alighting from a JB car at Shenton way in the morning. So the driver do car pooling to recover their $20 daily charge.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm already thankful Malaysia doesnt charge me $20 SGD for driving into Malaysia.

It is only right that Spore charge Msia car drivers who are driving into Spore daily to earn a living as they use the road and take up space.

Afterall that is the logic of COE and these Msia car drivers are no tourists but wage earners like Singaporean wage earners, who have to pay exorbitant COE to go to work in comfort.

Furthermore, daily payment is already a big privilege and discount for these Msia drivers. They can pay as they use and stop paying anytime compared to paying tens of thousands upfront.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is only right that Spore charge Msia car drivers who are driving into Spore daily to earn a living as they use the road and take up space.

Afterall that is the logic of COE and these Msia car drivers are no tourists but wage earners like Singaporean wage earners, who have to pay exorbitant COE to go to work in comfort.

Furthermore, daily payment is already a big privilege and discount for these Msia drivers. They can pay as they use and stop paying anytime compared to paying tens of thousands upfront.

The tolls have not been raised for a number of years. The authorities might make the adjustments together with the increase in daily fee for Malaysian cars. This is how Singapore government works because the officers submitting the paper for the increase will be questioned what about the rest.

Once Singapore adjusts, Malaysia might follow. Then everyone suffers.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many mal cars driving toward MBS and RWS direction. :biggrin: Let it be..let it be..

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually not being that bad being a Malaysian it is because the stupid Singapore government make that to be all these while. This government discriminate against their own sons of the soil by forcing them to serve 2 years of army and behind our back import a large volume of FT claiming Singapore has got shortage of manpower. ( when all our manpower are wasted protecting the foreigners )

This is never a rant. My point is still the same all these years: If you treat your neighbour son better than your own, don't expect your own son to buy you a coffin when you die. And you will soon realise that your neighbour sons are not gota buy you a coffin either because at the end of your life, you realise you got no relationship with them

On top of that, VEP is waived from 12 noon during June and December holidays. So if they come in a 3 hours later than usual to earn a living, that is another savings of (4 weeks + 8 weeks) x $100 = $1,200 per annum.

Malaysian drive cheap cars in Singapore with dark tinted windows. Use cheap petrol and pay cheap road taxes. Actually not bad being a Malaysian (at least in Johor Bahru) don't you think. Kids no need to do NS. Hmmmm, wonder if Malaysia wants me. :rolleyes::biggrin:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually not being that bad being a Malaysian it is because the stupid Singapore government make that to be all these while. This government discriminate against their own sons of the soil by forcing them to serve 2 years of army and behind our back import a large volume of FT claiming Singapore has got shortage of manpower. ( when all our manpower are wasted protecting the foreigners )

This is never a rant. My point is still the same all these years: If you treat your neighbour son better than your own, don't expect your own son to buy you a coffin when you die. And you will soon realise that your neighbour sons are not gota buy you a coffin either because at the end of your life, you realise you got no relationship with them

The thing is that the pple running the show dun really care about long term..they are just like the management of a company...basically employees who make hay while the sun shine . who care about the future of the company when they can make fat bonuses for themselves first ?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

The tolls have not been raised for a number of years. The authorities might make the adjustments together with the increase in daily fee for Malaysian cars. This is how Singapore government works because the officers submitting the paper for the increase will be questioned what about the rest.

Once Singapore adjusts, Malaysia might follow. Then everyone suffers.

I thought Spore in the past wanted to lower the tolls for second link to increase traffic there. When Msia finally agreed, the reduction was matched. Whereas the daily VEP was unilaterally put in by Spore a long time ago to discourage all Msians working in Spore to drive across, taking up space. Msia has many years to put in similar charges but did not do so for obvious reasons.

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA raises permit fees for foreign vehicles entering Singapore

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/foreign-r...to-pay-more-to-enter-singapore-032558889.html

From the start of August, it will cost 75 per cent more to drive into Singapore with a car registered overseas.

Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) is raising the vehicle entry permit fees for foreign-registered cars from $20 to $35 per day.

For goods vehicles, the fee will be hiked fourfold to $40 per month.

Both revised fees will kick in from 1 August, said LTA in a statement, but buses, taxis and motorcycles will not be affected by the hike.

Also, all vehicles still do not have to pay fees to enter Singapore on weekends, public holidays and between 5pm and 2am on other days, with these hours extended to between 12 noon and 2am during the June and December school holidays in Singapore.

Further, while owners of foreign-registered goods vehicles can still purchase permits at the existing $10 monthly fee this month, any permit that holds validity beyond July will be charged at $40 per calendar month.

“The cost difference (between owning and using a foreign-registered vehicle as opposed to a Singapore-registered one) has widened in recent years, giving rise to the need to revise the (fees),” the agency said.

What do you think Malaysia side will do?

:cool:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not being boastful or anything like that, if they charge $20 per entry for foreign cars, Johor is going to become like a ghost town. $5/car is going to bankrupt the Johor economy

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets see if the toll charges will be increase soon. Maybe some big shot in LTA move to JB to stay with his mistress and buay song the peasants who kept squeezing with him in the customs so will start policies to reduce the jam. I wont be surprised if the toll hikes is 50%. It will be when the Spore govt think that too many Sing currency outflowing is happening ( which is true )

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not being boastful or anything like that, if they charge $20 per entry for foreign cars, Johor is going to become like a ghost town. $5/car is going to bankrupt the Johor economy

Singapore has just given JB a good reason to raise the tolls. Let's see if it materialises.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jam at woodlands checkpoint going into jb now, cannot even get past the gantry....wonder what happened...

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have been observing the checkpoint volume of cars and it does seem obvious that the jams are starting to come back after the first 2-3 weeks of peace

Jam at woodlands checkpoint going into jb now, cannot even get past the gantry....wonder what happened...