• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me, my family ejected ourselves from the MOE rat race. It’s an academic hot house here…education factory churning out rote learning kids and those that can spot questions to game the system.
But not many Sinkie parents can afford to be like you or to even have the time to home-school their kids because both parents are working full-time. You are just one of those lucky few who had resorted and escaped from the "pressure cooking" system in Singapore. Also, I can bet with you that once your daughters will go overseas for their higher education, it's 90% chance that they will make their host country, their home country eventually. lol. So you either emigrate to be with them or you 2 old folks will be alone by yourselves here.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is Oz citizen and at this stage does not want to come back but I would encourage her to, as there are better jobs and higher pay here as an FT, at least she has a choice.

There is this joke where last time the parent will tell the kid to study overseas then come back and work. Nowadays it is to tell the kids to study overseas and later bring the parents over! LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya... good choice.

I think it's because people blindly follow the system, or think they have little choice.

(Actually, I've always thought many Singaporeans are already under the Stockholm Syndrome voting for the PAP government every time!)

From my observation, by time a young graduate starts working, it matters little whether he or she comes from a top school in SG or got average grades previously and had to go overseas to get a degree. The salaries of both groups of graduates are the same! Ironically, the overseas grads sometimes appeal to the employer even more!

Perhaps the bigger irony is that the iGCSE is actually far easier than our own Singapore-Cambridge GCE exams! So foreigners taking the iGCSE have an easier time scoring As while our own kids vomit blood to get that same grade.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
But not many Sinkie parents can afford to be like you or to even have the time to home-school their kids because both parents are working full-time. You are just one of those lucky few who had resorted and escaped from the "pressure cooking" system in Singapore. Also, I can bet with you that once your daughters will go overseas for their higher education, it's 90% chance that they will make their host country, their home country eventually. lol. So you either emigrate to be with them or you 2 old folks will be alone by yourselves here.

Eh…you forget I am peasant class! I am not lucky or can afford it. It was a decision to survive on one income. If we were both working, we probably would stay in more atas area…maybe even be Potter’s neighbour at Senibong Cove..LOL! And I think I will most likely lose the bet…because if sent overseas it really is more attractive to remain there and settle there. Oh, if she does that still OK lah….I still have some kids left behind..LOL!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, I don't trust those UK universities in Iskandar. They are just there to make money. Nothing beats the real ones in the actual countries of origin.
I think it's not very fair to judge them in this manner currently. Yes, they won't be as good as their countries of origin, but definitely to upkeep their prestige namesake, they can't afford to be that disappointing either. After all, at the end of the day, the students' objective is to get that piece of paper.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is this joke where last time the parent will tell the kid to study overseas then come back and work. Nowadays it is to tell the kids to study overseas and later bring the parents over! LOL!

That is also part of my plans, to go between OZ, Singapore and Malaysia come retirement.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's not very fair to judge them in this manner currently. Yes, they won't be as good as their countries of origin, but definitely to upkeep their prestige namesake, they can't afford to be that disappointing either. After all, at the end of the day, the students' objective is to get that piece of paper.

The really prestigious unis won't come in the first place.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually, it is really that bad!

Nowadays, many university standards are not like in the past. Lecturers give tips, tell students what to study, etc. No choice. Students already pay the uni course fees. Your job as a professor also depends on whether the uni got the $$$. If too many students fail, next time no more enrollment, your own job at stake.

Universities now know that education is a business thing. A money-income generator.

The better universities won't anyhow just set up their branches outside their own countries.

Unless a student has little pride and just wants that piece of paper, then can consider all these Iskandar unis.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, it is really that bad!

Nowadays, many university standards are not like in the past. Lecturers give tips, tell students what to study, etc. No choice. Students already pay the uni course fees. Your job as a professor also depends on whether the uni got the $$$. If too many students fail, next time no more enrollment, your own job at stake.

Universities now know that education is a business thing. A money-income generator.

The better universities won't anyhow just set up their branches outside their own countries.

Unless a student has little pride and just wants that piece of paper, then can consider all these Iskandar unis.

I know which route to take that is best for my kids, my boy is aiming to study at a local U in Singapore, he is going for interview this very afternoon, to see if he can get in to do aerospace engineering, my girl is already shipped out to Oz. I know there is no shortcut getting a proper degree be it Iskandar, twinning programs, private uni or online / correspondence courses, in the past, only 5% were grads and they earned good money, today it is like 30 to 40% are grads but still only the top 5% grads earn good money, this cannot change, if you get a lousy degree and are not in the top 5% of grads, you would end up under employed and even driving a taxi as competition heats up.

So in the end parents should relax and let nature take its course. Those not academically inclined, push them to be street smart or sign or in HT or SAF.

No need so anxious.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know which route to take that is best for my kids, my boy is aiming to study at a local U in Singapore, he is going for interview this very afternoon, to see if he can get in to do aerospace engineering, my girl is already shipped out to Oz. I know there is no shortcut getting a proper degree be it Iskandar, twinning programs, private uni or online / correspondence courses, in the past, only 5% were grads and they earned good money, today it is like 30 to 40% are grads but still only the top 5% grads earn good money, this cannot change, if you get a lousy degree and are not in the top 5% of grads, you would end up under employed and even driving a taxi as competition heats up.

So in the end parents should relax and let nature take its course. Those not academically inclined, push them to be street smart or sign or in HT or SAF.

No need so anxious.

Attitude will get you further in life than a piece of paper, no matter where its from. Overseas education (i mean actually living abroad for more than 1 year) is preferred as this graduate is perceived to be more exposed to different things.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attitude will get you further in life than a piece of paper, no matter where its from. Overseas education (i mean actually living abroad for more than 1 year) is preferred as this graduate is perceived to be more exposed to different things.

To do a 3 undergrad degree, you need about S$150,000 to S$200,000 minimum either in Ozland or in UK. So it is a question of affordability first before prestige. And it come only from savings and fixed term loans (only if you have collateral to borrow). Scholarships excluded.
Even if you do it locally, you only save the living expenses. Tuition fees remain the same.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes and also street smart, ultimately determines your success in life.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

In most MNCs, once you are employed, performance counts most. Most people including your boss wouldn't remember the u you come from, except maybe the prestigious U but that is just to see if you really deliver more than average u grad. Of course those aspire to be in civil service or glcs, singapore govt culture prevails.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
To do a 3 undergrad degree, you need about S$150,000 to S$200,000 minimum either in Ozland or in UK. So it is a question of affordability first before prestige. And it come only from savings and fixed term loans (only if you have collateral to borrow). Scholarships excluded.
Even if you do it locally, you only save the living expenses. Tuition fees remain the same.

Many Malaysians seem to have that kind of money.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
And the prc are coming in plane loads and shiploads.

The well heeled and capable are in OZ, Canada and USA, also let's see if Malaysian government with their strong protection mentality will let them in, Malaysia not like Singapore where PR issued like toilet paper, even given to people who never stay a single day in Singapore and can keep renewing.