• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sincerely hope that there is a central City planning that's actively overseeing the development of the Johor City. Currently at least in the city centre it just kinda seems haphazard and led by the nose by the Sultan who seems to be happy to just dump the land regardless of development plans to the highest bidder.

I hope I'm wrong though.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sultan has planners but not so good ones. UEM is smarter as compared to planners of JB. If all the new highrise developments at JB and danga bay area are occupied, you can imagine the traffic condition in the JB area given that not much thoughts has gone into infrastructure planning like road system, etc.
I sincerely hope that there is a central City planning that's actively overseeing the development of the Johor City. Currently at least in the city centre it just kinda seems haphazard and led by the nose by the Sultan who seems to be happy to just dump the land regardless of development plans to the highest bidder.

I hope I'm wrong though.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case and that the state govt can regain back some semblance of central planning else everything willjust ground to a halt with all the jams.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sincerely hope that there is a central City planning that's actively overseeing the development of the Johor City. .

haahaa!! no, there is none.
even if they do plan, it will end up anyhow huntum kind of development. good luck hoping for an "integrated master plan" for the city.
you can go see sungai segget (ie THE big longkang) . i bet you can still see rats as big as cats there.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
haahaa!! no, there is none.
even if they do plan, it will end up anyhow huntum kind of development. good luck hoping for an "integrated master plan" for the city.
you can go see sungai segget (ie THE big longkang) . i bet you can still see rats as big as cats there.

Kucing nampak tikus, kucing pun lari lor. :biggrin:

The Sultan already make his money, think he will cough out to make the roads better?
So it is up to the politicians of JB to do things and if there's nothing for them, who will do?
Some more JB voted in Opposition politician, so any hopes?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kucing nampak tikus, kucing pun lari lor. :biggrin:

The Sultan already make his money, think he will cough out to make the roads better?
So it is up to the politicians of JB to do things and if there's nothing for them, who will do?
Some more JB voted in Opposition politician, so any hopes?

even heart of old KL also suka suka bikin type of planning although never drive into the chow kit, jln tar, areas for long time already
all the spanking new highway all concessionaire owned, all the nice new taman all under private developer like setia, sime darby , uem.. etc
but one thing very interesting.. in spite of all the inefficient planning, incompetent execution, under table dealing etc etc.. the city still grow into a melange of semi manageable chaos, with pockets of beautiful developments (see desa park city). one cannot stop progress.

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
even heart of old KL also suka suka bikin type of planning although never drive into the chow kit, jln tar, areas for long time already
all the spanking new highway all concessionaire owned, all the nice new taman all under private developer like setia, sime darby , uem.. etc
but one thing very interesting.. in spite of all the inefficient planning, incompetent execution, under table dealing etc etc.. the city still grow into a melange of semi manageable chaos, with pockets of beautiful developments (see desa park city). one cannot stop progress.

Entrepreneurial skills + capitalism = progress and development :smile:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
my exact sentiments! is the FEDERAL cinema near chow kit there still in business? watched so many movies there, brings back memories![/QUOTE

Federal is now a mini market
Capitol is a mamak restaurant
Sentul is a furniture mall
Odean is a flea market
Desa Jaya is a Chinese restaurant
The Mall is now sold to Sunway

Yes, those were the days....

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
my exact sentiments! is the FEDERAL cinema near chow kit there still in business? watched so many movies there, brings back memories![/QUOTE

Federal is now a mini market
Capitol is a mamak restaurant
Sentul is a furniture mall
Odean is a flea market
Desa Jaya is a Chinese restaurant
The Mall is now sold to Sunway

Yes, those were the days....

yup.. watching those swordsman movie at pawagam meton desa jaya. and the pasar malam in front!! sighz. actually it was a pretty run down place lar, come to think of it. :smile:

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
JOHOR PROPOSAL OF SINGAPORE REGISTRATION VEHICLES TO PAY A LEVY OF SGD20 (RM50) TO ENTER MALAYSIA

The Star/Asia News Network | Friday, Jul 4, 2014 JOHOR BARU - Johor will not object if the Government decides to impose a levy on Singaporean cars entering Malaysia. State Public Works, Rural and Regional Development Committee chairman Datuk Hasni Mohammad said besides a token toll charge, Singaporean cars entering the state capital currently do not have to pay any fee. He said the proposal to impose a levy on these cars, which had been forwarded by Johor to the Federal Government, was reasonable at RM50 (S$20)per vehicle due to Singapore's favourable exchange rate against the Malaysian ringgit. "Personally, I see that the fee will not be a burden for Malaysians working in the republic or Singaporeans coming into Johor Baru regularly," he said in an interview here yesterday. The proposal, added Hasni, was not new as the previous state administration had made a similar suggestion, adding that this was merely "a follow-up". The previous administration, he said, had decided to propose the levy due to the high volume of Singaporean cars using the country's roads and infrastructure. The money collected could be set aside to help maintain the roads in the state, he pointed out. "They (Singaporeans) have caused many problems, especially traffic congestion in the city centre," he said. In 2006, the Government had decided that a fee - probably about RM20 - would be levied on cars from Singapore and Thailand to offset some of the petrol subsidy lost to these vehicles. However, this proposal was never carried out. Hasni said it was unfair for the Singaporean government to impose a fee for any Malaysian-registered vehicles entering the island and to even increase this beginning Aug 1. On Tuesday, Singapore's Land Transport Authority had announced an increase for its Vehicle Entry Permit and Goods Vehicle Permit beginning Aug 1, which would see foreign-registered cars having to pay S$35 per day, up from S$20 - See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/g...-singapore-cars-malaysia#sthash.CqYvlvui.dpuf

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
JOHOR PROPOSAL OF SINGAPORE REGISTRATION VEHICLES TO PAY A LEVY OF SGD20 (RM50) TO ENTER MALAYSIA

The Star/Asia News Network | Friday, Jul 4, 2014 JOHOR BARU - Johor will not object if the Government decides to impose a levy on Singaporean cars entering Malaysia. State Public Works, Rural and Regional Development Committee chairman Datuk Hasni Mohammad said besides a token toll charge, Singaporean cars entering the state capital currently do not have to pay any fee. He said the proposal to impose a levy on these cars, which had been forwarded by Johor to the Federal Government, was reasonable at RM50 (S$20)per vehicle due to Singapore's favourable exchange rate against the Malaysian ringgit. "Personally, I see that the fee will not be a burden for Malaysians working in the republic or Singaporeans coming into Johor Baru regularly," he said in an interview here yesterday. The proposal, added Hasni, was not new as the previous state administration had made a similar suggestion, adding that this was merely "a follow-up". The previous administration, he said, had decided to propose the levy due to the high volume of Singaporean cars using the country's roads and infrastructure. The money collected could be set aside to help maintain the roads in the state, he pointed out. "They (Singaporeans) have caused many problems, especially traffic congestion in the city centre," he said. In 2006, the Government had decided that a fee - probably about RM20 - would be levied on cars from Singapore and Thailand to offset some of the petrol subsidy lost to these vehicles. However, this proposal was never carried out. Hasni said it was unfair for the Singaporean government to impose a fee for any Malaysian-registered vehicles entering the island and to even increase this beginning Aug 1. On Tuesday, Singapore's Land Transport Authority had announced an increase for its Vehicle Entry Permit and Goods Vehicle Permit beginning Aug 1, which would see foreign-registered cars having to pay S$35 per day, up from S$20 - See more at: http://transport.asiaone.com/news/g...-singapore-cars-malaysia#sthash.CqYvlvui.dpuf

I think this rule is fair. Malaysian car going in to singapore need to pay and singapore car coming into Malaysia should also pay. IS very fair...

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this rule is fair. Malaysian car going in to singapore need to pay and singapore car coming into Malaysia should also pay. IS very fair...

Not a big issue for weekenders like me, but more of an issue for your fellow daily SPR commuters, and your retail/property industry.

After all, RM 50 x 4 weeks = S$80 only. JB City Sq & Plaza Angsana etc will be more hit. For easy calculations, maybe just standardize S$50 for LTA and MYR lah? LOL

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a big issue for weekenders like me, but more of an issue for your fellow daily SPR commuters, and your retail/property industry.

After all, RM 50 x 4 weeks = S$80 only. JB City Sq & Plaza Angsana etc will be more hit. For easy calculations, maybe just standardize S$50 for LTA and MYR lah? LOL
Those Singaporeans residing in JB but working in Singapore will be badly affected if it will be RM50 per entry to JB. Don't forget also that some of them are ferrying their children to Singapore schools and this may require at least 2 trips per day.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will kill whatever interest in property investment in Johor.
Cooling measure plus uncontrolled flood of houses plus tic for tac cross border fare increase plus jams within just a short time of each other is not a good sign.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will kill whatever interest in property investment in Johor.
Cooling measure plus uncontrolled flood of houses plus tic for tac cross border fare increase plus jams within just a short time of each other is not a good sign.

what is happening in johor is called "unbridled capitalism" :smile:

Last edited:

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bravo to Malaysian Government to impose such fee on Singaporean car. I fully support. I hope it will gradually increase from RM50 to RM80 in future. Lesser Singapore cars in Jb is good for Johorean. Lesser congestion.