• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Youth crimes on the decline

AntiPAPunk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Youth crimes on the decline

By Lian Cheong, Melissa Chong | Posted: 16 December 2012 2246 hrs

display_image.php

File photo: Police handcuffing a suspect

SINGAPORE: The number of youth crimes has dropped almost 20 per cent between January and June this year, compared to the same period last year.

Figures given by the police show that among the 1,500 youths arrested this year, 6 per cent were nabbed for rioting - which may involve gang-related activities.

An 18-year-old teenager, who declined to be named, got involved in gangs when he was in secondary school.

But now, he is part of "Streetwise" - a government-funded project to help youth offenders gain a fresh start in life.

He recounted: "The gangs will treat you very well when you first enter, but later on, they'll make you do things which you shouldn't do. In the past, I used to drink, fight and smoke everyday. It was quite meaningless. I'd rather have a job now, watch movies with my friends, or go shopping with my mum.

He added: "If you take a hardline approach, it'll probably make us angrier; we won't change. It's fairer if you give us a chance to change."

More than a thousand youths have undergone the programme since it started in 1998.

Under the six-month initiative, youths undergo counselling, family conferencing and recreation as well as academic activities.

They also have to abide by a curfew and are restricted from visiting certain hangouts, like arcades and snooker clubs.

- CNA/xq