• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Young, Thrifty and Debt-Free: This Couple Paid Off Their 470k Bishan Flat In 2 Years

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You probably already know this, but property is expensive in Singapore. Homes can cost anywhere from hundreds of thousands for HDB flats to millions of dollars for private condos and landed homes. So for many of us, buying a home is our biggest single expense and our home loan (or mortgage) repayments the biggest liability in our lives.

Let’s not talk about the Crazy Rich Asians. Say you’re an Average Joe: Even if you buy a modest under-500k HDB flat - assuming you take 75% to 90% in home loans to finance it - you’re looking at mortgage repayments of at least $1,200 each month (depending on the interest rate and tenure). Considering the median salary of Singaporeans is $4,563 (Ministry of Manpower, 2019), that’s about a quarter of our monthly income!

Most of us take decades to pay off this debt, but not Clara Lim, 34, and her husband, Jon Phay, 37. Yes, it’s not uncommon to hear of couples who pay off their homes by their mid-thirties, but what’s interesting is that unlike couples who marry early in their twenties and live frugally for the next 10 years, Clara and Jon actually only tied the knot and bought their Bishan HDB flat two years ago.

So how did the couple manage this feat at such a young age? After all, Clara and Jon both hold pretty average-earning jobs as a writer and engineer respectively.

Well, first of all, Clara and Jon most definitely didn’t save hundreds of thousands in two years. The saving up took place before they bought the property.

In fact, with their savings combined, they actually had just about enough to pay for their $468,000 resale flat in full at the point of purchase. They only took up a home loan because Jon wanted to utilise his CPF funds while he continued working.

Clara’s savings: $120,000

Jon’s savings: $80,000

Combined CPF OA: $191,000

CPF housing grants: $70,000

Given this, you’d expect that the couple must have spent their entire twenties staying home and eating cup noodles, but that was not the case.

“Frankly, I don’t think Jon put that much effort into saving up that $80,000. He just doesn’t have expensive hobbies,” says Clara. For her, however, it was a different story: “For most of my twenties, I spent all my money on going out with friends, drinking, shopping, etc. But when I was 29 years old, a bad breakup caused me to go on a big lifestyle detox.”

More at https://tinyurI.com/yyju5pf9

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This proves that PAP priced the flats quite affordably. I doubt young married couples living on a median wage can pay off an apartment in Tokyo, London, Sydney within 2 years.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
This proves that PAP priced the flats quite affordably. I doubt young married couples living on a median wage can pay off an apartment in Tokyo, London, Sydney within 2 years.

99% of Singaporeans at this age group can't.
That's why it doesn't reflect the situation.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
99% of Singaporeans at this age group can't.
That's why it doesn't reflect the situation.

Your "99% of sinkies" is made up.

The article already demonstrated that a young couple earning around the median wage were able to pay off their HDB loan within 2 years. All they did was to lead a thrifty lifestyle and not lose money in scams or shitty investments.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your "99% of sinkies" is made up.

The article already demonstrated that a young couple earning around the median wage were able to pay off their HDB loan within 2 years. All they did was to lead a thrifty lifestyle and not lose money in scams or shitty investments.

LOL your data analytics skill is damn weak.
Josephine will scorn at you for refusing to embark on transformation.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both their parents probably sold off their private properties, downgraded to a smaller flat and use the proceeds to help the couple pay off the house.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah yah yah, but can Sinkies retire in mid 30s to a 66 acre estate in the countryside ...

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mostly all are parents that help chip in, many Don report this,many still stay EC n condo with old parents ,know why? cos the parents use their flat to chip in, there are many of these , some enough lagi solid ,private property even hv 3 or more person sharing, this is the dark side of everything where news Don report

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN my uncle applaud Clara for being able to save 80 to 90% of her celery like my uncle did but my uncle think they made a sillee leecision to buy a leesale one at Bishan for near 500k KNN should just buy a cheaper one at the mountain top becas mature estate in sg is just a con job KNN