• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You hired a CPA but she can't work ?

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<
She is from SIM, RMIT BBA (Accountancy) then apply & appeal to ICPAS for that stupid 5 modules (CPA)
>>

exactly my point. SIM is dumping ground for those who cannot make it.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
A company (MNC or SME) hired a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) of S'pore but to find that she is technically weak in many accounting aspects & no drive to work hard.

How will you deal with such employee ? She is highly qualified :rolleyes:

Give her the walk. Hire another one. Having her around will only weaken your rank and file.

jw5

Loyal
Question her why she is technically weak and not motiovated and question the recruiting manager why he or she recruited the new employee.
If they can't provide adequate explanations, sack both.

Tailok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow $8500 is a lot of money to hire someone with no brains. Even if she have big boobs, it's not worth it. You go to Geylang find some one with bigger boobs for less. :rolleyes:

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
the company i work for has a admin assistant, she got no boob, no look. no brain. only know how to suck to bosses... wonder how come these people are so lucky...

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually when you get a Grad from NTU or NUS , are they certfiied public accountant once they graduate ? If not then i think they must also go through CPA before being counted as CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT !

No, all accounting degrees holders or ACCA holders need to apply to ICPAS as provisional member first. After that then they can apply as full members.

So long as the accounting qualifications are recognised by ICPAS, the holders can apply to be a member subject to certain conditions. For example, Australian CPA holders need to take 5 courses, pass each and every one of them before they can be admitted to the accounting profession body.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think working knowledge and experiences should determine the person for the position. If she cannot perform in her job, the HR or interviewer have to take part of the blame. I have interviewed an old woman in her late 30s and she was CPA holder. Her resume does not fit well to her qualification as she came from local small firm without multi-currency nor MNC regional exposure. When I asked whether she knows anything about BOM in our manufacturing industry, she was shocked why we manufacture BOMB!! Anyway, my boss did not shortlist her because she said she was willing to learn...but who will teach her since she is a CPA..supposed to be one of the highest role in the finance dept right? Later, my boss decided to change the qualifications requirements from CPA holder to just a diploma/degree level with extensive working exposures.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I asked whether she knows anything about BOM in our manufacturing industry, she was shocked why we manufacture BOMB!!

HAHAHHAA!! This is classic!

Anyway, my boss did not shortlist her because she said she was willing to learn...

That's one of the worst things for mid career professionals to say during an interview. Unless you are a fresh grad, nobody wants to pay you to learn.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
A company (MNC or SME) hired a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) of S'pore but to find that she is technically weak in many accounting aspects & no drive to work hard.

why neber outsource to India? LOL...

lurpsexx

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually CPA are the dumping groud of those who dont have what it takes for proper accontancy course at NTU NUS and SMU.

Obviously you are out to stir shit here.. :mad: you know nuts abt the accounting industry, so dun go round sprouting shit from ur smelly mouth.

U think NUS, NTU n SMU accounting grads are better than CPA?? U know what does CPA mean? These local grads are just basic degree holders, a dime a dozen. And being from local unis DOES NOT make them smarter over others hor. On the contrary, they are arrogant, full of themselves and think they own the world. They are of the same mentality as you, full of shit and frogs sitting at the bottom of the well... I know, bec i hired some of these people and they are none the better! In fact, my diploma level colleagues are smarter and work better than these so called PROPER local uni grads...

FYI, I graduated from SIM from the same RMIT B.Bus (Acc) course and it is a PROPER ACCOUNTANCY COURSE. I also went on to do my Aussie CPA and it is a PROPER PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION. CPA course is a POST GRADUATE course AFTER you get your basic degree. So you better wake up, boy! It is more intensive and draws on your working exp too. So this is not a course for under grads!

As for this lady who i presume is working in Costing in a mfg co, it is very hard to draw on her past educational knowledge as they dun teach mfg accounting in schools/uni. We learn on the job. Plus the fact if she is using a full fledged ERP system like SAP or Oracle, there are even more system and business processes she must understand before she can do any accounting.
These are also not taught in schools too, as each co have their own ways of working. The most she can bring is her past working exp, which I guess is not enuf here ( 3 weeks to close?!?!?!). As she is paid 8.5K a mth, thats alot of money. So i think she is mgr level. But without any useful knowledge and no results to show, its better she leaves the co and apply for something she can really do. Costing is not an area any tom dick or mary can do; it takes a lot of OJT and self-learning to pick up the skill.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Doesn't matter how qualified she is, if she can't produce, You can give her a dateline if she still can't perform, show her the door....:biggrin::biggrin:

I know a guy who has CPA,CA and going for his CGA from India can't even do simple work, has been given warning letter, try to talk his way out.

Has a dateline to meet if can't perform out the door he goes.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heart Break Kid

Alfrescian
Loyal
$8,500 basic salary for a senior accountant sitting inside a good office with another 4 accountants reporting to her (Financial, Cost, Treasury & Internal Audit) is consider very good liao

Some big MNC do pay finance managers with 8~10 years exp starting basic salary of $11,000 a month & finance director $17,000 a month depending on luck & opportunities.

Heart Break Kid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think working knowledge and experiences should determine the person for the position. If she cannot perform in her job, the HR or interviewer have to take part of the blame. I have interviewed an old woman in her late 30s and she was CPA holder. Her resume does not fit well to her qualification as she came from local small firm without multi-currency nor MNC regional exposure. When I asked whether she knows anything about BOM in our manufacturing industry, she was shocked why we manufacture BOMB!! Anyway, my boss did not shortlist her because she said she was willing to learn...but who will teach her since she is a CPA..supposed to be one of the highest role in the finance dept right? Later, my boss decided to change the qualifications requirements from CPA holder to just a diploma/degree level with extensive working exposures.

BOM = Bill of Material = Product Structure of finished goods.

While drugs manufacturer is mainly processes in WIP form.

CPA is a paper to demand higher salary lah not prove of capability

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
BOM = Bill of Material = Product Structure of finished goods.

While drugs manufacturer is mainly processes in WIP form.

CPA is a paper to demand higher salary lah not prove of capability

IF that is how sinkieland works, then good luck.