• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

you can still buy private property after owning a flat, but not the other way round?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If someone could help clarify i would be most grateful. Sorry for my naivety.
That is not the rule. The rule is you cannot own multiple properties if you have a HDB flat. It does not matter whether the other property is private or not. eg if you own a HDB flat, and you buy a private property, u will lose the flat if HDB finds out. eg. If you own a private property and sell it so that you have no properties, you can buy a HDB flat. Alot of people do that when downsizing.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That is not the rule. The rule is you cannot own multiple properties if you have a HDB flat. It does not matter whether the other property is private or not. eg if you own a HDB flat, and you buy a private property, u will lose the flat if HDB finds out. eg. If you own a private property and sell it so that you have no properties, you can buy a HDB flat. Alot of people do that when downsizing.
Don’t think this is correct

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You can buy private if you have an HDB. But you need to stay in the HDB.
That was the old rule during my era. As far as I know… a colleague of mine could legally rent out the HDB as well, after occupying for 5 years or something like that. It baffled me but I did not bother to find out.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
That was the old rule during my era. As far as I know… a colleague of mine could legally rent out the HDB as well, after occupying for 5 years or something like that. It baffled me but I did not bother to find out.
Yes, but your friend needs to keep a room for himself even though he does not live in the HDB flat.

I think what I stated is still valid, but with some degree of flexibility.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
I said I am living in a rented flat in Toa Payoh (boss sam was my ex-neighbour). And I go temple for free vegetarian meals.

WTFF

Dont be shy leh.
I also knew you own the Mega Super Yacht you bought from Jho Lo.
And, you sail to the Caribbean every weekend with a bevy of beauties. :biggrin: :roflmao:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
This fucker is again thinking that only he knows the best. What the fuck? Go and read up properly before you give wrong information to the innocent here. WHAT THE FUCK TO YOU MAN?

Now back to the question. A HDB flat owner can buy a private property after completing the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) and if the loan is fully paid by then. Otherwise, it'll be 10 years from the day of getting your keys if there is still an outstanding loan. Although there is no limit to the number of private properties can be purchased, the owner will however needs to inform and get the HDB's approval before making the next purchase of a private property. This is more for formality because most of the time though, they would be approved. In addition, if the owner has completed the MOP, he can apply to the HDB for approval to rent out the whole unit.

I'd been through this and I know very well. Presently, I have a HDB and 2 private properties, all fully paid.

Last edited:

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are plenty of gong kias bought private condo as first property stay less than 3 years can't tahan. End up sold condo and bought resale hdb . Make a loss in condo , Reno for both property and loss for the resale hdb.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are plenty of gong kias bought private condo as first property stay less than 3 years can't tahan. End bought resale hdb . Make a loss in condo , Reno for both property and loss for the resale hdb

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wrong bro..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This fucker is again thinking that only he knows the best. What the fuck? Go and read up properly before you give wrong information to the innocent here. WHAT THE FUCK TO YOU MAN?

Now back to the question. A HDB flat owner can buy a private property after completing the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) and if the loan is fully paid by then. Otherwise, it'll be 10 years from the day of getting your keys if there is still an outstanding loan. Although there is no limit to the number of private properties can be purchased, the owner will however needs to inform and get the HDB's approval before making the next purchase of a private property. This is more for formality because most of the time though, they would be approved. In addition, if the owner has completed the MOP, he can apply to the HDB for approval to rent out the whole unit.

I'd been through this and I know very well. Presently, I have a HDB and 2 private properties, all fully paid.
shitizen can retain the flat after buying private property after the mop. but spr must notify hdb of the option to purchase (otp) a private property and must sell their flat within 6.9 months upon purchase of private property, completed or uncompleted.
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/living-in-an-hdb-flat/acquiring-private-property