• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yellow NBA player got criticised by niggers for being chigger

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Basketball player Jeremy Lin slammed for braided hairdo

JR2.jpg

PHOTO: Facebook

CHEN JINGWEN
ASIAONE

Oct 10, 2017

W.T.M.Why This Matters
In 2016, an African-American woman at San Francisco State University confronted a white student, saying he should cut his hair because dreadlocks belong to black culture. It sparked a debate after a video of the encounter went viral. An online debate also erupted about whether it was appropriate for singer Justin Bieber to wear dreadlocks.
Is it okay for a Chinese to wear the braided hair-do of black Americans?

It's probably no issue for those supporting and living cross-culturally, borrowing from various lifestyle and fashion trends which are so globally rampant today.

But not former basketball star Kenyon Martin, who unwittingly created a firestorm last week by saying Afro-style dreadlocks have no place on the head of Asian-American player Jeremy Lin.

The internet threw its mighty weight behind Lin, point guard of Brooklyn Nets, after Martin, a former Nets player himself, accused him of cultural appropriation after seeing him with new dreadlocks.

227_1507613681.jpg

Photo: Jeremy Lin's Facebook
In a video posted on Instagram, Martin said: "Do I need to remind this ... boy that his last name (is) Lin? Like, come on, let's stop this. These people. There is no way possible he would've made it on one of our teams with that (XXXX) going on on his head."

"Come on. Somebody really needs to tell him, like (alright), we get it. We get it, you want to be black. We get it, but the last name is Lin," added Martin, who subsequently deleted the post after he was slammed for making such callous and inflammatory remarks.

After his first video, he actually posted another in response to the barrage of criticisms.

In a seeming attempt to wriggle out of the situation, he said: "That man (is) grown. That man can rock whatever hairstyle he want to rock. That don't mean I have to like it or agree with it.

"Second of all, I'm grown. I can say whatever I want to say it about. It ain't about race. It ain't about none of that. Grow up, people, it was a joke, but I don't like it. I don't agree with it, so it is what it is."

Again, Martin had to delete the video as his reply failed to appease netizens - who, in fact, got even more mad. Some netizens pointed out that dreadlocks are not exclusive to black Americans or Africans - in fact, the hairdo has been worn by many groups all over the world since ancient times including Greeks, Egyptians, Muslim Sufis, Hindu mystics, Tibetan Buddhists and western hippies in the 1970s.

227_1507615458.jpg

LET'S UNITE AND MOVE FORWARD: LIN

However, Lin, 29, who was born in California and embarked on his professional basketball career in 2010, is wise, remaining as cool as a cucumber throughout the whole saga.

Seen as the 'Asian' face of American basketball after legendary China-born player Yao Ming retired, Lin responded to Martin's first post like a true American gentleman who wants to embrace diversity.

He wrote: "Hey man, it's all good. You definitely don't have to like my hair and (are) definitely entitled to your opinion. Actually I (am) legit grateful (for) you sharing it (to be honest).

At the end of the day, I appreciate that I have dreads and you have Chinese tattoos (because) I think its a sign of respect. And I think as minorities, the more that we appreciate each other's cultures, the more we influence mainstream society.

- Basketball player Jeremy Lin
"At the end of the day, I appreciate that I have dreads and you have Chinese tattoos (because) I think its a sign of respect. And I think as minorities, the more that we appreciate each other's cultures, the more we influence mainstream society."

His last line was painfully sweet: "Thanks for everything you did for the Nets and hoops ... had your poster up on my wall growing up."

If Lin's words didn't seem inspiring or sincere enough to doubters, they should read what he wrote next - a frank and poignant piece titled 'So...About My Hair' in The Players Tribune.

Penning with much humility, Lin admitted being worried about cultural appropriation when considering maintaining his dreadlocks, but many black friends and Nets members encouraged him to continue wearing the style as long as he did not have the intention to offend anyone.

Lin, whose parents were Taiwanese immigrants, also revealed he felt hurt when other Americans had disdainfully wrong perceptions of Asians and Asian-Americans but said he would never do the same for another culture.

"But I hope that this is a start, not an end, to more dialogue about our differences. We need more empathy, more compassion and less judgment. That takes actual work and communication. So let's start now," declared Lin whose family is Christian.

Attempting to defuse the situation, Lin even upbraided fans who responded to Martin with unkind and racially charged comments,

"That's not what I stand for and that's not helping us move in the (unified) direction we want to move in," he articulated.

227_1507615024.jpg

Photo: Facebook
APOLOGY FROM MARTIN

Did Lin's grandly noble rhetoric make Martin feel bad?

Apparently it did.

After a match on Sunday, Lin told reporters Martin was "extremely apologetic".

He said: "He reached out and he was extremely apologetic. It was a great conversation. I think things were blown out of proportion, taken a little out of context as well. But me and him had a discussion where he was extremely courteous.

"I wish it didn't happen like that, but we're beyond that and hopefully I don't have to speak about this incident or my hair anymore."

[email protected]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was thoroughly shamed by Jeremy's explanation on his journey to get braids. Even before Jeremy's explanation his black brothers across the board gave him hell for his remarks. One case of playing the victim that backfired spectacularly.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He was thoroughly shamed by Jeremy's explanation on his journey to get braids. Even before Jeremy's explanation his black brothers across the board gave him hell for his remarks. One case of playing the victim that backfired spectacularly.

Lin's reply was pure class

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kike only Chinese smoked opium whereas as Pommies and westerners dont.

Remind u that only wealthy people can afford smoke opium and streets are crime free.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jiak lor mee Lin should just fark off the nigger scene, he ain't nigger enough even with a nipple ring

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Isn't it amazing that the the chinks try desperately to be anything else but themselves. This proves that they are ashamed of their own looks and their own culture.