• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yawning Bread: The Media and YSL

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[h=3]http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-media-and-yaw-shin-leong/#more-6656

The media and Yaw Shin Leong[/h] <small class="entry-meta"> Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-02-08T14:25:50+0000">8 February 2012</abbr> media , politics and government Leave a Comment

</small>

A while back, I made a prediction that as opposition parties make headway into the political mainstream, new media will increasingly make those parties the objects of scrutiny. The oft-repeated complaint of the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) and its government that new media tends to give opposition parties a free pass while fiercely attacking the government will prove to be a passing phase.

Indeed, this phase is passing. A well-known blog, T R Emeritus, recently wrote of an alleged affair between Yaw Shin Leong, Workers’ Party member of parliament for Hougang, and another party member who had stood as an election candidate in the recent general elections. Both are said to be married. The accusation is therefore that of adultery — which in Singapore is not a crime, I need to add.

The allegations lit up social media, though few other blogs followed suit. The traditional media however, picked up the story and tried to confirm it. If you’re partisan about it, you might say the pro-government traditional media was merely seizing the opportunity to make the Workers’ Party look bad, never mind if the story was initiated by a blog that the same traditional media would often hold its noses over.

However, an argument could be made that regardless of provenance, the story was newsworthy enough to be followed.

But, to come back to my first point, this report by a blog is consistent with my thesis and prediction that as new media matures, it is going to come in different flavours and it is going to treat all public issues and political actors as fair game. Which, generally speaking, I think is good for Singapore.
It is traditional media that is going to stay immature. It is imprisoned in the cot mandated by the government. Despite its claims, newsworthiness is not the sole or even most important criterion for choosing its stories.

Look how the Straits Times reported the strike by 200 foreign workers at a construction site in Tampines. The headline said:

Wage dispute resolved after 200 workers stage protest

Construction firms agree to pay salaries unpaid since November after MOM intervenes

It is a weird headline because the newsworthy thing is that a strike occurred, yet the main thrust of the headline was not that. Rather, it hailed the government for being effective in solving / curing / bringing about happiness and harmony just like the government of the Great Leader / Dear Leader / and whatever new leader in a certain Northeast Asian country.

pic_201202_021.jpg

Photo from The Online Citizen

The Online Citizen did a better job than the Straits Times. Carrying the same story, its headline said, simply, and to the point:

Construction workers strike at Tampines
It so happened that a week prior, Channel NewsAsia approached the charity I volunteer with over a documentary they were planning to do on the subject of the increasing numbers of foreign workers in Singapore and the impact of that trend. I told them that if they wanted to interview me, they had to be prepared for the likelihood that my comments would be highly critical of government policy, and for obvious reasons: I see that a lot of problems faced by foreign workers and Singaporeans alike over this issue can be traced to blindsides in policy. I suggested to the CNA representative that she should check with her higher-ups whether they would air such comments.

A few days later, she phoned back to say thank you very much but they wouldn’t need to interview me after all. I don’t feel I should disclose what exactly was said in that conversation, but it would be a fair conclusion to say that my initial gutfeel was not contradicted.

Enough about foreign workers, let’s talk about the Yaw story.

Last night, the Workers’ Party issued a terse statement to say that Yaw Shin Leong had resigned from the Executive Council and his position as Treasurer. In about 100 words, it said:
The Workers’ Party wishes to inform the public that at the monthly meeting of the Executive Council on Tuesday, 7 February 2012, the Council accepted the resignation of Yaw Shin Leong from the party leadership. Yaw Shin Leong will cease to be Treasurer of the Party with immediate effect.

The Council has also decided to appoint the Deputy Treasurer, Yee Jenn Jong, as the Party’s Treasurer.

Yaw Shin Leong will focus on his responsibilities as Member of Parliament for Hougang.
The Workers’ Party assures residents of Hougang of the Party’s commitment to the constituency and to supporting the work of their Member of Parliament.
There was no mention of the allegations, entirely in keeping with Yaw’s and the party’s “no comment” stance through the last few weeks. However, the resignation alone will probably confirm in many people’s minds the notion that the allegations were well founded. That said, they remain allegations, and as I had pointed out above, if even it was a case of adultery as rumoured, such is not a crime.

Nor is it my intention to discuss the truth or falsity of these rumours. What I found interesting was the reaction of the Workers’ Party. In choosing to stonewall the issue, the party is tacitly kowtowing to two things that I consider damaging to Singapore’s long-term interests, and that will probably come back to haunt the party:

1. By refusing to discuss the allegations, the party in effect submits to the moralism that is being whipped up.

Accusations of adultery on the part of politicians are always built on the unstated premise that politicians should be morally pure, super-human, virtually saints. Setting such a high bar will deter the best and brightest from coming forward to serve, not just the Workers’ Party, but any other party. While we can acknowledge the fact that leadership does indeed call for some degree of personal discipline, we should never confuse politics with religion. Short of being saint-like, a reasonable modicum of discipline, plus a large dose of humility and honesty with the public should be good enough to earn trust and goodwill.

But by refusing the route of honesty, the Workers’ Party is implicitly subscribing to the moralism at play, and conceding the tenet that politicians should have nothing less than immaculate lives.
I think the party is making a huge mistake. As I told the Straits Times (reported 8 Feb 2012): “‘The WP and Mr Yaw should have had a forthright discussion with Singapore citizens about whatever it may be that may have generated the rumours,” and to seek understanding rather than duck.

2. By refusing to discuss the allegations, the party in effect subscribes to the notion that only politicians should set the agenda, not the public.

One of the things Singaporeans are truly sick of is the PAP dictum that the government should be setting the agenda for the media and voters, not the other way around. People should respond (preferably rally to) the government’s ideas, but the government does not have to respond to the public’s. The behaviour of the Workers’ Party in this instance is cut from the same cloth. The party is saying it will only discuss what it wants to discuss, not what the public considers important or newsworthy.

I suspect the party is hoping the issue will blow away in time and Yaw’s hard work serving his constituents will earn him reelection at the next general election. It may well be, and that constituents will overlook these allegations and vote for him again for his dedication and effectiveness in Parliament. But if so, it will only prove the other point I made to the Straits Times: “If they think Singaporeans have a one-track mind, the party is wrong. I don’t think Singaporeans on the whole are always judgmental.”

If the party hopes Hougang voters will overlook the allegations at the next general elections — they are hardly likely to forget them — why doesn’t the party trust that Singaporeans will be understanding now? Why not set an example of honesty and openness now?
Why is the Workers’ Party putting on the PAP’s mask of sullen resistance?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS kenna flamed because he use YSL incident as a mean of personal attack on not only YSL but also WP. As much as his agruements hold water but most of the forumers here can see it nothing to do with moral but revenge for kenna kick out of WP. The fact GMS went to hougang 322 to give his 2 cents to journalists show GMS character are no better than YSL.

Likewise, WP had made a blunder in the handling of YSL. as much as it a personal affair but YSL is a public figure so in a sense YSL need to give us voters an answer. spore voters are forgiving type as long admit and say sorry, most will give another chance. like that diam diam will not close the issue and will be bring out again in the next GE even YSL dont contest for another term.

Bersik 2.0

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was flamed way before he went to Hougang coffeeshop. If you have extreme dislike for someone, just say so. There is no need for any justification.

GMS kenna flamed because he use YSL incident as a mean of personal attack on not only YSL but also WP. As much as his agruements hold water but most of the forumers here can see it nothing to do with moral but revenge for kenna kick out of WP. The fact GMS went to hougang 322 to give his 2 cents to journalists show GMS character are no better than YSL.

Likewise, WP had made a blunder in the handling of YSL. as much as it a personal affair but YSL is a public figure so in a sense YSL need to give us voters an answer. spore voters are forgiving type as long admit and say sorry, most will give another chance. like that diam diam will not close the issue and will be bring out again in the next GE even YSL dont contest for another term.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=3]http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-media-and-yaw-shin-leong/#more-6656

The media and Yaw Shin Leong[/h] <small class="entry-meta"> Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-02-08T14:25:50+0000">8 February 2012</abbr> media , politics and government Leave a Comment

</small>

A while back, I made a prediction that as opposition parties make headway into the political mainstream, new media will increasingly make those parties the objects of scrutiny. The oft-repeated complaint of the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) and its government that new media tends to give opposition parties a free pass while fiercely attacking the government will prove to be a passing phase.

Indeed, this phase is passing. A well-known blog, T R Emeritus, recently wrote of an alleged affair between Yaw Shin Leong, Workers’ Party member of parliament for Hougang, and another party member who had stood as an election candidate in the recent general elections. Both are said to be married. The accusation is therefore that of adultery — which in Singapore is not a crime, I need to add.

The allegations lit up social media, though few other blogs followed suit. The traditional media however, picked up the story and tried to confirm it. If you’re partisan about it, you might say the pro-government traditional media was merely seizing the opportunity to make the Workers’ Party look bad, never mind if the story was initiated by a blog that the same traditional media would often hold its noses over.

However, an argument could be made that regardless of provenance, the story was newsworthy enough to be followed.

But, to come back to my first point, this report by a blog is consistent with my thesis and prediction that as new media matures, it is going to come in different flavours and it is going to treat all public issues and political actors as fair game. Which, generally speaking, I think is good for Singapore.
It is traditional media that is going to stay immature. It is imprisoned in the cot mandated by the government. Despite its claims, newsworthiness is not the sole or even most important criterion for choosing its stories.

Look how the Straits Times reported the strike by 200 foreign workers at a construction site in Tampines. The headline said:

Wage dispute resolved after 200 workers stage protest

Construction firms agree to pay salaries unpaid since November after MOM intervenes

It is a weird headline because the newsworthy thing is that a strike occurred, yet the main thrust of the headline was not that. Rather, it hailed the government for being effective in solving / curing / bringing about happiness and harmony just like the government of the Great Leader / Dear Leader / and whatever new leader in a certain Northeast Asian country.

pic_201202_021.jpg

Photo from The Online Citizen

The Online Citizen did a better job than the Straits Times. Carrying the same story, its headline said, simply, and to the point:

Construction workers strike at Tampines
It so happened that a week prior, Channel NewsAsia approached the charity I volunteer with over a documentary they were planning to do on the subject of the increasing numbers of foreign workers in Singapore and the impact of that trend. I told them that if they wanted to interview me, they had to be prepared for the likelihood that my comments would be highly critical of government policy, and for obvious reasons: I see that a lot of problems faced by foreign workers and Singaporeans alike over this issue can be traced to blindsides in policy. I suggested to the CNA representative that she should check with her higher-ups whether they would air such comments.

A few days later, she phoned back to say thank you very much but they wouldn’t need to interview me after all. I don’t feel I should disclose what exactly was said in that conversation, but it would be a fair conclusion to say that my initial gutfeel was not contradicted.

Enough about foreign workers, let’s talk about the Yaw story.

Last night, the Workers’ Party issued a terse statement to say that Yaw Shin Leong had resigned from the Executive Council and his position as Treasurer. In about 100 words, it said:
The Workers’ Party wishes to inform the public that at the monthly meeting of the Executive Council on Tuesday, 7 February 2012, the Council accepted the resignation of Yaw Shin Leong from the party leadership. Yaw Shin Leong will cease to be Treasurer of the Party with immediate effect.

The Council has also decided to appoint the Deputy Treasurer, Yee Jenn Jong, as the Party’s Treasurer.

Yaw Shin Leong will focus on his responsibilities as Member of Parliament for Hougang.
The Workers’ Party assures residents of Hougang of the Party’s commitment to the constituency and to supporting the work of their Member of Parliament.
There was no mention of the allegations, entirely in keeping with Yaw’s and the party’s “no comment” stance through the last few weeks. However, the resignation alone will probably confirm in many people’s minds the notion that the allegations were well founded. That said, they remain allegations, and as I had pointed out above, if even it was a case of adultery as rumoured, such is not a crime.

Nor is it my intention to discuss the truth or falsity of these rumours. What I found interesting was the reaction of the Workers’ Party. In choosing to stonewall the issue, the party is tacitly kowtowing to two things that I consider damaging to Singapore’s long-term interests, and that will probably come back to haunt the party:

1. By refusing to discuss the allegations, the party in effect submits to the moralism that is being whipped up.

Accusations of adultery on the part of politicians are always built on the unstated premise that politicians should be morally pure, super-human, virtually saints. Setting such a high bar will deter the best and brightest from coming forward to serve, not just the Workers’ Party, but any other party. While we can acknowledge the fact that leadership does indeed call for some degree of personal discipline, we should never confuse politics with religion. Short of being saint-like, a reasonable modicum of discipline, plus a large dose of humility and honesty with the public should be good enough to earn trust and goodwill.

But by refusing the route of honesty, the Workers’ Party is implicitly subscribing to the moralism at play, and conceding the tenet that politicians should have nothing less than immaculate lives.
I think the party is making a huge mistake. As I told the Straits Times (reported 8 Feb 2012): “‘The WP and Mr Yaw should have had a forthright discussion with Singapore citizens about whatever it may be that may have generated the rumours,” and to seek understanding rather than duck.

2. By refusing to discuss the allegations, the party in effect subscribes to the notion that only politicians should set the agenda, not the public.

One of the things Singaporeans are truly sick of is the PAP dictum that the government should be setting the agenda for the media and voters, not the other way around. People should respond (preferably rally to) the government’s ideas, but the government does not have to respond to the public’s. The behaviour of the Workers’ Party in this instance is cut from the same cloth. The party is saying it will only discuss what it wants to discuss, not what the public considers important or newsworthy.

I suspect the party is hoping the issue will blow away in time and Yaw’s hard work serving his constituents will earn him reelection at the next general election. It may well be, and that constituents will overlook these allegations and vote for him again for his dedication and effectiveness in Parliament. But if so, it will only prove the other point I made to the Straits Times: “If they think Singaporeans have a one-track mind, the party is wrong. I don’t think Singaporeans on the whole are always judgmental.”

If the party hopes Hougang voters will overlook the allegations at the next general elections — they are hardly likely to forget them — why doesn’t the party trust that Singaporeans will be understanding now? Why not set an example of honesty and openness now?

a very well written and logical artcile.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is far from the truth. Alex Au only comes up to state the obvious on hindsight without the intent to provide a viable solution for WP and YSL. I did it to provide WP and YSL an option how to get out from the mess. I have even stated very clearly that it could go very wrong if it is mismanaged.

People are just too blinded to the good intention I have and gone into that fantasy about "personal attack" on YSL and WP. Give me a good reason why would I make "personal attack"? This is totally baseless. Well, all have been said and done. I have nothing to do with his fumble.

Goh Meng Seng

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is far from the truth. Alex Au only comes up to state the obvious on hindsight without the intent to provide a viable solution for WP and YSL. I did it to provide WP and YSL an option how to get out from the mess. I have even stated very clearly that it could go very wrong if it is mismanaged.

People are just too blinded to the good intention I have and gone into that fantasy about "personal attack" on YSL and WP. Give me a good reason why would I make "personal attack"? This is totally baseless. Well, all have been said and done. I have nothing to do with his fumble.

Goh Meng Seng

Hear, hear! Goh Meng Seng, the one man Opposition fighting machine! His opponent? The Opposition. :oIo:

blueyepea

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yea, u so clever, so why didn't u use your ingenuity during the last election?

Good intention? yeah sure, ur intention was all genuine when u also attacked Gerald, Pritam, and CSM right? :rolleyes::oIo:

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-media-and-yaw-shin-leong/#more-6656

WP is stumbling in dealing with the public and its PR management is terrible. It is beginning to realise that once an opposition party entered parliament, its underdog status has waned a bit and it recognises that the public can be less forgiving than before. The more the party gains parliament share, the more criticisms the party gets. No free lunch.

WP PR fail.

9487934epk.jpg

Last edited:

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
whether ysl speaks up or not, WP has already lost brownie points and needs to buck up on it's PR now

WP is stumbling in dealing with the public and its PR management is terrible. It is beginning to realise that once an opposition party entered parliament, its underdog status has waned a bit and it recognises that the public can be less forgiving than before. The more the party gains parliament share, the more criticisms the party gets. No free lunch.

WP PR fail.

9487934epk.jpg

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Goh Meng Seng

The difference between Alex au (who is a lao ah gua faggot btw) and you is that we like him a lot better than we like you. Says a lot about you

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

How does GMS inclusion of WP in his article lead to the conclusion of personal attack when even I fume over WP's answer to the press, " We have to be careful on what we reveal" and YSL's comment, " I don't answer to rumours"? It does show the arogance of WP public relationship. GMS' article was simply stating the fact that the best way to handle such juicy stuffs is to tackle it up front instead of dodging the arrows, because one will sure make a hit at the end. He did not even question YSL's moral standing which he could.

Yet he was attack up front by WP blind loyalists, not only that they further labelled those critical of WP's move as fair weather friends who turn against WP when things go wrong. If you are GMS giving suggestion on the net and not only get whack left right and centre, what would you do? Keep quiet?

So now is it rumour that brought him down? If he made it clear up front with either "yes" or "no", WP won't be in this shit right now. Seems to me the MSM met their objective in making WP look bad. Seems to me even now, WP haven't learnt their lesson and as expected, their way of handling is making situation for them worse.

djent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Basically the MSM has modified its' approach. Though it cannot shake free of its shackles of reporting gov required news. It will report a severely pared down alternative view to try and project some seemly objective view and yet because of the weak alternative view that is being shown, the official view seems stronger and more persuasive.

djent

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will chose selectively at the numbers of foreign events to be reported. For instead Occupy Wall Streets was reduced to small articles in the inner pages of the news. Floods that occurred in different parts of the world is used more often when one in 50 years floods in Orchard road Singapore happened, to guide people to judge that floods are a common normality. There are soft and hard styles used in reporting of news, more often in recent times, a soft and sublime kind as the above examples that I quoted is used.

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, I can understand where he is coming from but in my assessment, Mr. Au is barking up the wrong tree. He thinks that the Worker's Party coming out to discuss this is good for Singapore politics but he forgets that the other player in this giant circle-jerk is for all intents and purposes, the PAP's propaganda wing. If the reporters at the New Paper can blatantly manufacture mistruths about CSJ during the GE and get clean away with it, what do you think the tabloid reporters with Wanbao and Sin Min Daily can get away with?

It is thus understandable and logical for the Worker's Party not to enter a battlefield where the enemy [the mainstream media] holds onto the cards. To do so will be suicide. Better to allow them to exhaust themselves chasing after rumours and allegations while managing the fallout on the ground via their traditional methods of engagement. Whether it works or not, of course, is another question.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
djent said:
Floods that occurred in different parts of the world is used more often when one in 50 years floods in Orchard road Singapore happened, to guide people to judge that floods are a common normality. There are soft and hard styles used in reporting of news, more often in recent times, a soft and sublime kind as the above examples that I quoted is used.

The floods elsewhere have been happening regularly for decades and centuries, whereas in the 50-year floods, these used to happen once every 50-year or so but are now regular affair, even a few times each year. Anyone with a mere trace of intelligence can see that in those other places, the floods are natural disasters which are difficult or impossible to prevent e.g. Hurricanes in Southern USA whereas in Singapore, the floods had been controllable but are now not controlled which point somehow to how we now fail to manage things.