• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Would new citizens make good politicians?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if one of the PRC turned Singaporean contest for a seat as an opposition? Would he stand a chance?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hate to tell you that Singapore has had new citizens turning politician for a very long time. Aline Wong was first elected in 1984, 25 years ago ( quarter of a century for impact). She first came from HK after her husband was posted here. They took up citizenship in view of the HK's handover. She went on to become Minister of State and served 4 terms.

Irene Ng and Ping Pong Lee Bee Wah were born raised and raised in Malaysia, came and did their A levels/Uni here and took up citizenship.

The biggest joke and tells you how much our citizenship is worth is the case of Peter Chen who retired as Shell CEO in Singapore while holding on to PR as a Malaysian. During his entire working life in Singapore, he never felt the need to be a Singapore citizen. He was approached to be the successor to Richard Hu and became a citizen less than a year before contesting and becoming an MP. He was eventually made Sr Minister of State. He failed and went after 1 term.

There are others but if SPH ever carries a story about such relevant things for Singaporeans, sky will just fall flat.

What if one of the PRC turned Singaporean contest for a seat as an opposition? Would he stand a chance?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Bro, you have missed out the most important man... Khaw Boon Wan! :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Hate to tell you that Singapore has had new citizens turning politician for a very long time. Aline Wong was first elected in 1984, 25 years ago ( quarter of a century for impact). She first came from HK after her husband was posted here. They took up citizenship in view of the HK's handover. She went on to become Minister of State and served 4 terms.

Irene Ng and Ping Pong Lee Bee Wah were born raised and raised in Malaysia, came and did their A levels/Uni here and took up citizenship.

The biggest joke and tells you how much our citizenship is worth is the case of Peter Chen who retired as Shell CEO in Singapore while holding on to PR as a Malaysian. During his entire working life in Singapore, he never felt the need to be a Singapore citizen. He was approached to be the successor to Richard Hu and became a citizen less than a year before contesting and becoming an MP. He was eventually made Sr Minister of State. He failed and went after 1 term.

There are others but if SPH ever carries a story about such relevant things for Singaporeans, sky will just fall flat.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I consider Khaw, the current CJ, Pillay and people like Raja, Goh KS as people of the same land despite they been born and raised in Malaysia. A line in the sand has been drawn, I suppose since the late 70s.

Bro, you have missed out the most important man... Khaw Boon Wan! :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I consider Khaw, the current CJ, Pillay and people like Raja, Goh KS as people of the same land despite they been born and raised in Malaysia. A line in the sand has been drawn, I suppose since the late 70s.

But Khaw was a Malaysian before he was roped in, unlike Goh KS and Raja, who CHOSE to become Singaporean when Singapore broke away from Malaysia.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Khaw became a Singaporean in the 70s. He only joined the PAP in 2005. Technically you are right but I think you might see my point.

In the 1970s after independence, over 60% of our Police Force were Malaysians holding Malaysian Citizenship. Factories, business and many govt departments had to rely heavily on Malaysians. SAF had to make offers to Malaysians to come over and become regulars. It was same for many government departments.

But Khaw was a Malaysian before he was roped in, unlike Goh KS and Raja, who CHOSE to become Singaporean when Singapore broke away from Malaysia.

Goh Meng Seng

jw5

Loyal
There is no such thing as a "good" politician.
Some of them help the people to improve their lives, some of them don't.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the threadstarter was talking about PRC. Many former non Singapore politicians were Malaysians and it is quite known that the difference between S'porean and M'sian is not as wide as S'porean and an Italian.

I think he was talking about, say, PRC, Indian or even European countries.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the threadstarter was talking about PRC. Many former non Singapore politicians were Malaysians and it is quite known that the difference between S'porean and M'sian is not as wide as S'porean and an Italian.

I think he was talking about, say, PRC, Indian or even European countries.

That would be interesting to watch. Importing FOC from China corruption, nepotism, cronyism, patronage, guanxi....Hmmm..