• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat World's most expensive bak kut teh

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean who breached coronavirus stay-home notice to eat bak kut teh sentenced to 6 weeks' jail

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...otice-to-eat-bak-kut-teh-sentenced-to-6-weeks

Alan Tham Xiang Sheng, 34, is the first person to be convicted of exposing others to the risk of infection by breaching an SHN.

Alan Tham Xiang Sheng, 34, is the first person to be convicted of exposing others to the risk of infection by breaching an SHN.PHOTOS: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS, ST READER, SCREENGRAB FROM FACEBOOK
PUBLISHED
8 MIN AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTER

Shaffiq Alkhatib
Court Correspondent

SINGAPORE - A man who breached a stay-home notice (SHN) and travelled out of his home to eat bak kut teh on March 23 amid the coronavirus outbreak was sentenced on Thursday (April 23) to six weeks' jail.
Alan Tham Xiang Sheng, 34, who pleaded guilty on April 16 to an offence under the Infectious Diseases Act, was the first person to be convicted of exposing others to the risk of infection by breaching an SHN.

Tham, who runs an online sales business, arrived in Singapore from Myanmar on March 23 and was served with an SHN. As part of his notice, the Singaporean was supposed to stay home at all times from then until April 6.

Tham signed on a slip to acknowledge that he had received the SHN and to confirm that he was aware he could be prosecuted if he failed to comply with the notice.
But instead of going straight home to his Woodlands flat, he met up with his 36-year-old girlfriend at 3.40pm and the pair went to a food court at Terminal 3 of Changi Airport.

After eating, the woman booked a private-hire car and they went to Peninsula Plaza in North Bridge Road where Tham visited a money changer. The couple then took another private-hire car and they arrived at his home at 6.35pm.

They left about two hours later and boarded a public bus for Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre in Woodlands Drive 71 where he had bak kut teh. The court heard that he snapped pictures of the meal and posted them on social media.

After that, the couple went to a nearby FairPrice supermarket and Tham finally returned home at around 10pm.
On March 25, officers from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority visited Tham as part of an enforcement check where he told them that he did not proceed home immediately after being served the SHN.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Kenneth Chin had earlier urged the court to sentence Tham to at least 10 to 12 weeks' jail to "reflect the seriousness of the offence" and deter others from committing a similar act.

Tham is represented by lawyers Josephus Tan and Cory Wong from Invictus Law Corporation.
Related Story
Man who breached Covid-19 stay-home notice to eat bak kut teh convicted; DPP argues for 10- to 12-week jail term
Related Story
Coronavirus: What is a stay-home notice, and what should you do if you are affected?
Mr Tan had pleaded for his client to be given the maximum fine of $10,000. The lawyer said the SHN did not specify that Tham was supposed go home immediately after receiving it.
Mr Tan also stressed that Tham, who was not infected with the coronavirus, had not been "gallivanting".
For breaching an SHN, offenders can be jailed for up to six months and fined up to $10,000.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sethlui.com/xi-wang-bak-kut-teh-singapore/

Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh: One Man Flouted His SHN for This — Was It Worth It?
Last Updated: March 28, 2020

In this COVID-19 pandemic, every precaution is taken so we can stay safe and healthy, both for ourselves and those around us. However, news of a Singaporean flouting his Stay Home Notice (SHN) for a bowl of bak kut teh has been spreading like wildfire on the internet, so much so that Law Minister K Shanmugam addressed the issue in parliament and reassured worried netizens that this man would be investigated for his careless actions, if not charged.
Whether it was out of ignorance or a genuine mistake (he claimed that he thought his SHN started the next day), it has sparked concern from many, especially those staying near this particular bak kut teh stall.

Feeling intrigued about whether this special bak kut teh was worth the fine and how the stall’s business has been affected, I made my way down to Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh at Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre.
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 6

When I arrived at the stall, business seemed quite slow, with only about five other customers patronising Xi Wang during the time I was there. However, this mood didn’t seem to affect the owners of the stall, a friendly Chinese couple who cheerily made me a bowl of Bak Kut Teh (S$5) with Rice (S$0.50).
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 5

Apart from bak kut teh, they also serve other pig parts, braised duck parts, and noodles, but I was there to try their infamous signature dish. The stall owner generously drizzled some duck sauce on my rice and offered me a soup top-up when she saw I was getting low on broth. That was very considerate and very service-centric.

The bak kut teh was fragrant with the aromatic smell of pepper, garlic and pork ribs, but I know the best way to judge a bak kut teh is by its soup.
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 3

I took a sip of the clear, brown-tinted broth, and the strong peppery taste immediately kicked in, emphasised by how hot the soup was, creating a warm and pleasant sensation as it went down. Once the broth had cooled, I was able to discern the taste of garlic and pork ribs, familiar and comforting.
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 1

Four large pork ribs were generously served up in the soup, along with two garlic cloves—simple and unruffled. I was grateful that the pork ribs weren’t dry at all, unlike other pork rib dishes I had tried before, and tender enough to fall off the bone.
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 2

The garlic cloves melted in my mouth and added a robust flavour and a change of texture compared to the savoury pork ribs. Paired with the simple white rice, the bak kut teh was without bells and whistles, but still tasty in its simplicity.
Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh 4

After my filling meal, I struck up a conversation with the stall owners, asking them if their business had been impacted by this man’s actions. They confirmed my suspicions, telling me that their recent customers had questioned the cleanliness of their stall and continually asked if they had touched the man’s hands.
Despite the owners reassuring customers that they had sanitised everything in their stall, their regulars have still been hesitant to buy from them.

My heart went out to the couple, knowing that they were helpless in this situation and could only wait out the storm before business picked up again. As for the bak kut teh, though it wasn’t life-changing, for someone coming back from overseas and craving a bowl of their favourite comfort food, this bowl was more than enough to whet anyone’s appetite.
With the ever-changing climate, more and more livelihoods are being detrimentally affected, especially small hawker stalls like Xi Wang Bak Kut Teh for which there are many other alternatives. Hopefully, society as a whole will be more conscious of their actions and make a collective effort to minimise losses for families and businesses alike.
Expected Damage: S$5 – S$7 per pax

Read more: https://sethlui.com/xi-wang-bak-kut-teh-singapore/#ixzz6KOne58ZL

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too harsh, too bad, order fm top.
Somebody got to lead by example.

This coming Raya; we shall see.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
What expensive? Eat one bkt get 6 weeks free food and lodgings. May be can insta gram prison food as well. :cool:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Too harsh, too bad, order fm top.
Somebody got to lead by example.

This coming Raya; we shall see.
Sure got extremist Malay very fed up with the CB this Hari Raya. Can't visit family, can't go to mosque, can't gather around. How do you think they will behave?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go bonkers.... 9 months later create 1 generation of baby boomers. More food delivery drivers to last till 2050.

Sure got extremist Malay very fed up with the CB this Hari Raya. Can't visit family, can't go to mosque, can't gather around. How do you think they will behave?