• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

world economy will be restored in 3 to 5 years

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM Lee says world economy will be restored in 3 to 5 years
By Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 24 October 2008 2310 hrs

Related Videos

SINGAPORE : Singapore's Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew has said that barring a malfunction in the banking system, the world economy will be restored in three to five years.

He also provided an upbeat assessment of Asia, thanks to the growth of twin giants, China and India.

Speaking to some 700 delegates at the Human Capital Summit in Singapore, Mr Lee said no one can predict how long or deep the current market turmoil will be. But he is confident that Asia will do better than the rest of the world.

Mr Lee said East Asia should be able to achieve an annual growth of about 3 to 5 per cent - quite a good figure, considering the current climate.

He said: "When things are down, you have increased unemployment; use that time to build up skills and knowledge."

Mr Lee said Singapore is doing just that in its Continuing Education and Training Scheme. And assuming that China and India were to grow, Mr Lee said that Singapore has to accept that the two giants will do things better.

The key for Singapore is to maximise on its assets and that, he said, is what is called the "Singapore System".

Mr Lee said that both China and India may have the individual catch-ups but the countries cannot change their systems that easily. He said it will take 20, maybe 40 years for China and India to transform their systems into the "Singapore System".

Mr Lee said the two countries do not have a system of meritocracy and protection of patents. "Why would anybody with a pharmaceutical discovery risk their products... (in) China and India? If he comes to Singapore, he knows that his intellectual property will be protected," he added.

On a lighter note, the Minister Mentor touched on what he calls assortative mating, that is, finding a spouse at your level - something he strongly believes in.

He said: "I have explained this. I think I lost votes after I explained the awful truth. Nobody believed it, but slowly it dawned on them, especially the graduates, that yes, you marry a non-graduate, then you worry about whether or not your son or daughter is going to make it to the university.

- CNA/ms

---
world econ hit rock bottom & start to go upwards in 3-5yrs time should be the correct term to use. "restored" within 3-5yrs not only seems being optimistic, its too good to be true & going to take a miraculous phenomenom to make it happen.

meanwhile,
  • america will take a long long time to crawl out of their financial debts
  • europe will suffer the aftermath as USD weakens & make Euro currency less favorable to transact
  • emerging countries will not grow as fast as previously projected as they need funds from the west
  • china & india will be the prefered places for outsourcing for many more decades
  • sg will remain an over-decorated miserable island with no resources, henta-kaki while the rest of asean nations slowly realize their potential

economy restored in 3-5yrs (without taking into account of accumulated losses over the past 7yrs)............. ah-lau have very good sense of humour, and the joke is really very ticklish

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is in fact saying.."Expect my minister to have one big fat pay rise for pulling the country out of recession"...

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 years for next Golden period. It is worth the wait.

MM lee has said it. So it shall be said, so it shall be done

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shit!, the old man, once again insulted us, he is saying that my parents are uneducated, lowly educated, produces children like me, like us, who will be useless! right? So, a graduate must marry a graduate, so that, you get BRILLIANT children?, remember the recent case of the woman pharmacist whose head was nearly sliced off by her husband?, they are both graduates, quarrel over trivial things like, sending the son fo CHESS classes..comment that his didi was small etc..I really do not see the logic?, what had education do, in procreation?...was his parents, GRADUATES?...then not!, something is really wrong with the combination then, to produce a brilliant Stateman like him?

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 years for next Golden period. It is worth the wait.

MM lee has said it. So it shall be said, so it shall be done
i think u misintepreted what he means by golden period. the correct understanding of the term should be:

period = menstruation

golden period means, we bleed gold on a periodic basis. there's always a window period for tax/tariff/cost increment, there's also window period for ministerial pay raise.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shit!, the old man, once again insulted us, he is saying that my parents are uneducated, lowly educated, produces children like me, like us, who will be useless! right? So, a graduate must marry a graduate, so that, you get BRILLIANT children?, remember the recent case of the woman pharmacist whose head was nearly sliced off by her husband?, they are both graduates, quarrel over trivial things like, sending the son fo CHESS classes..comment that his didi was small etc..I really do not see the logic?, what had education do, in procreation?...was his parents, GRADUATES?...then not!, something is really wrong with the combination then, to produce a brilliant Stateman like him?
last time, hitler also had same mentality on genes & decendants issues.

<object width="212" height="172"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAH3RTRlCHY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAH3RTRlCHY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="212" height="172"></embed></object>

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
very funny that they recognize incline on the charts to be "restoration". this means, they totally ignore all the sharp declines that take place before the incline.
no wonder they keep boasting about how much profits TH or GIC makes, bcos they write off all other losses & capital invested before the profits.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
very funny that they recognize incline on the charts to be "restoration". this means, they totally ignore all the sharp declines that take place before the incline.
no wonder they keep boasting about how much profits TH or GIC makes, bcos they write off all other losses & capital invested before the profits.
maybe they actually put the chart upside down, so down becomes up and up becomes down...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe they actually put the chart upside down, so down becomes up and up becomes down...:confused::confused::confused::confused:
the charts go down until need to extend another new chart below, but they always see things on a fresh page, so they thought that the decline was minimal only.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha thats another logical explanation.....:p:p:p
like some others have speculated, this bunch of lawyer politicians only know how to play prata words in court, sue the pants off each other, write & re-write laws that are so ambiguous that its as good as not written.

at the end, their balance sheets, profit & loss accounting sucks big time.