• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World Best Super Sniper Wali

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
World best sniper joins in to fight Russians…
44082E53-E74B-462F-ABEB-D881D5CF3931.jpeg

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wally would be white.
Wali? A muslim? Fighting alongside nazis who toppled a democratically elected president in 2014?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...li/la-guerre-c-est-une-deception-terrible.php

Return of the Wali sniper

“War is a terrible disappointment”​

7a527bed311e31c79330aa2ca55bb2c0.jpg

PHOTO OLIVIER JEAN, THE PRESS
Wali, a former soldier in the Royal 22 e Régiment, is back in Quebec after spending two months in Ukraine.
Two months after responding to President Volodymyr Zelensky's call, sniper Wali is back in Quebec – unscathed, although he nearly lost his life there “several times”. But most foreign fighters who have visited Ukraine like him have come away bitterly disappointed, mired in the fog of war without even having been to the front lines once.
Posted yesterday at 5:00 a.m.
Tristan Peloquin

TRISTAN PELOQUINTHE PRESS

"I'm lucky to still be alive, it really came close," said the former soldier of the Royal 22 e Régiment, in an interview with La Presse in his home in the greater Montreal area.

Sa dernière mission dans la région du Donbass, au sein d’une unité ukrainienne qui appuyait des soldats conscrits, a en quelque sorte précipité son retour. Au petit matin, alors qu’il venait de prendre position près d’une tranchée exposée au tir des chars d’assaut russes, deux des conscrits sont sortis de leur couverture pour fumer une cigarette. « Je leur ai dit de ne pas s’exposer comme ça, mais ils ne m’écoutaient pas », affirme Wali. Un tir d’obus « d’une grande précision » d’un char russe a alors éclaté à côté d’eux. La scène décrite par le franc-tireur est à glacer le sang. « Ça a explosé solide. J’ai vu les éclats d’obus passer comme des lasers. Mon corps s’est tout crispé. Je n’entendais plus rien, j’ai tout de suite eu mal à la tête. C’était vraiment violent. »

He immediately understood that there was nothing to be done for his two Ukrainian brothers in arms who had been hit hard. “It smelled of death, it's hard to describe; it's a macabre smell of charred flesh, sulfur and chemicals. It's so inhuman, that smell. »

431579b18d9531a292c9fe466f0a9ba9.jpg

Wali visited Ukraine at the beginning of March.

His partner, who wishes to remain anonymous, says he called her in the middle of the night about an hour later. “He was trying to explain to me that there had been two deaths. He was like, 'I think I've done enough, huh? Have I done enough?” Looks like he wanted me to tell him to come back, she says. He was awfully calm. »

In the end, it was his family life that won out over his desire to help Ukrainians, says Wali. “My heart feels like going back to the front. I still have the flame. I like the theater of operations. But I pushed my luck. I have no injuries. I think to myself: how far can I roll the dice? I don't want to lose what I have here,” says the young father, who missed his son's first birthday while he was at the front.

49db6169bc953b67a57de121c78bc032.jpg

PHOTO PROVIDED BY WALI
Wali on the ground in the Donbass region

After spending two months in Ukraine, Wali draws a "rather disappointing" assessment of the deployment of Western volunteer fighters, which began in early March, following a call from President Volodymyr Zelensky. The number of volunteers who showed up – more than 20,000, according to different estimates – was so large that the Ukrainian government had to urgently establish the International Legion for the Territorial Defense of Ukraine on March 6.

But for most of the volunteers who showed up at the border, joining a military unit was a hassle.

6912d663909c398bab58d156370ee229.jpg

Wali
Zelensky appealed to all, but in the field the officers were completely helpless. They didn't know what to do with us.
wali

He and several other former Canadian soldiers initially preferred to join the Norman Brigade, a private volunteer unit based for several months in Ukraine, led by a former Quebec soldier whose nom de guerre is Hrulf .
Dissension quickly set in among the troops and a large number of fighters deserted the Norman Brigade.

Three people who requested anonymity described to La Presse promises of arms and protective equipment made by the head of the Norman Brigade which never materialized. Some of the volunteers found themselves about 40 kilometers from the Russian front without any protective equipment. “If there had been a Russian breakthrough, everyone would have been at risk. It was an irresponsible attitude on the part of the Brigade, ”says one of its former soldiers, who asked that his name be withheld for security reasons.

839728d4d2c43add90e0444f8ae23b2d.jpg

PHOTO PROVIDED BY WALI
Wali training to use a Javelin anti-tank missile

Cheating and impatience​

The commander of the Norman Brigade, who also asked us to withhold his real name for security reasons, confirms that he has been abandoned by around sixty combatants since the start of the conflict. Several of them wanted to sign a contract that would have given them status under the Geneva Conventions, as well as guarantees that they would be treated by the Ukrainian state in the event of injury. Hrulf claims that some even “schemed” to strip him of a $500,000 shipment of arms supplied by Americans, in order to create their own combat unit.

“There are guys who were in a hurry to go to the front without even having undergone the slightest security check. The Ukrainians tested us, and only now are we starting to get more missions. There's an element of trust that needs to be built, and that's completely normal,” says Hrulf.

A "terrible disappointment"​

“Many volunteer fighters expect it to be turnkey, but war is the opposite, it's a terrible disappointment,” summarizes Wali for his part.

With another Quebec infantryman nicknamed Shadow, the Quebec sniper finally joined a Ukrainian unit that was fighting in the Kyiv region.

58b88fea0a4d3625b64167d43e673c04.jpg

According to Wali, joining a Ukrainian military unit has been a hassle for the majority of Western volunteers.

But then again, finding a gun to fight with was a Kafkaesque exercise. “You had to know someone who knew someone who told you that in some old barbershop they would give you an AK-47. You had to tinker with a soldier's kit like that by picking up pieces and ammunition left and right, in many cases with weapons in more or less good condition, ”he says.

Even for the meals, it is often the civilians who provide them. It's the same for gasoline to move in a vehicle. You constantly have to organize yourself, to know someone who knows someone.
Wali

• Wali brought back a box of Russian rations, recovered from the rubble of a destroyed vehicle.

Wali brought back a box of Russian rations, recovered from the rubble of a destroyed vehicle.
  • The ex-sniper also reported this 30mm shell fired by a Russian tank.

The ex-sniper also reported this 30mm shell fired by a Russian tank.
  • Wali brought back a box of Russian rations, recovered from the rubble of a destroyed vehicle.

Wali brought back a box of Russian rations, recovered from the rubble of a destroyed vehicle.

After a few weeks in Ukrainian territory, some of the most experienced Western soldiers ended up being recruited by the Ukrainian Military Intelligence Directorate, and would now participate in special operations behind enemy lines, according to one of them. .

Others, less experienced, "jump from one Airbnb to another" while waiting to be recruited by a unit that will take them to the front, says Wali.

The majority, however, have decided to return home, say several people interviewed for this article. "Many arrive in Ukraine with their chests bulging, but they leave with their tails between their legs," says Wali.

8396bd19058e3444aaffe14f98f68fb5.jpg

PHOTO PROVIDED BY WALI
Fire caused by the bombardment of Ukrainian positions, near Irpin, in the suburbs of K一v

In the end, he himself said he only fired two bullets into windows “to scare people” and never really came within enemy firing range. "It's a war of machines", where "extremely brave" Ukrainian soldiers suffer very heavy losses from shelling, but "miss many opportunities" to weaken the enemy because they lack knowledge technical military, he summarizes. “If the Ukrainians had the procedures we had in Afghanistan to communicate with the artillery, we could have caused carnage,” he believes.

But Wali does not hide his desire to return there despite everything. “You never know when foreign fighters will make a difference on the ground. It's like a fire extinguisher: it's useless until the fire catches. »

91513019a58f3a108e695862ef0f3d30.jpg

The former sniper does not rule out the idea of returning to Ukraine despite everything.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
World·Exclusive

Shadow's war: A Canadian veteran describes weeks under fire in Ukraine​

Former Canadian Forces soldier experienced combat for the first time as a volunteer in Ukraine​

Murray Brewster, David Common · CBC News · Posted: May 06, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: May 6

CLIP_WALI_SAVED_MY_LIFE.jpg

A former Canadian soldier now fighting in Ukraine survived a Russian tank attack in the Donbas, but his friends didn't.

It happened in a split-second.

About 10 days ago, a Russian tank that Shadow and a fellow Canadian — the sniper known as Wali — had been quietly stalking in the Donbas region of Eastern Ukraine turned and fired on them.

Two Ukrainian soldiers who were with them had ignored Wali's advice a moment before by stepping outside the cover of their observation post — nothing more than a trench — for a cigarette.

Shadow — the nom de guerre of a former Canadian soldier from Sherbrooke, a member of the Royal 22nd Regiment who later served as a meteorological technician with the navy — had been about to join his Ukrainian friends when the tank opened up, landing a shell right between the two Ukrainians.

Shadow was blown back to the trench, his ears ringing from the explosion. He crawled up, poked his head outside and was greeted by a scene of utter carnage.

russia-ukraine-war-day-in-photos.jpg

Ukrainian rescue workers carry an elderly woman under a destroyed bridge in Irpin, Ukraine, on April 1. Shadow's first combat experience occurred in the suburb west of Kyiv as Russian forces tried to advance on the capital. (Efrem Lukatsky/Associated Press)

One of the men had died instantly. The second Ukrainian soldier was still alive, but barely.

"He was, like, just a couple of feet from me and still breathing, but no legs," Shadow told CBC News Thursday in an interview in Lviv in western Ukraine. "And then we made eye contact. I looked at him; he looked at me."
It took a couple of moments for the soldier to die.

"So, he just, like, passed away in front of my eyes," he said. "So I was like, alright, so yeah, just two of my friends died in front of my eyes."

Donbas is 'hell,' says Canadian fighting in Ukraine​

A former Canadian soldier who joined the fight in Ukraine has one word to describe the Donbas region: hell.

The brutal, capricious nature of war — the way ordinary moments can suddenly turn lethal — seems to have settled on Shadow in the days since he left the front in the embattled Donbas region, where Ukraine is holding back the weight of the Russian army.

Two among the thousands of volunteers who flocked to Ukraine after President Voldomyr Zelensky's appeal for foreign fighters, Shadow and Wali were paired up almost from the start.

On that day in late April, they had been helping to hunt a Russian tank regiment that had clawed itself into one side of a scorched valley.

'We need to get out of here'​

Wali, a fellow Van Doo and sniper with combat experience in Afghanistan, was manoeuvring around to get a clean shot at one of the Russian iron monsters with an American-made Javelin anti-armour missile.

The tank had been tantalizingly out of reach before it turned on them and struck.

Wali, who was interviewed by CBC News in early March, wasn't prepared to give up even after the Ukrainian soldiers were killed. Shadow said that as Wali was looking for the best firing position, he knew they were outmatched.

"And I was like, bro, we need to get the hell out of here ... there's nothing we can do. We need to get out of here," he said.

They slipped away with the tank firing after them.

"So yeah, that was my last patrol on the eastern front," he said. "I have one word to describe [it], and it's just hell."

The last two months for Shadow have been a mad kaleidoscope of firefights and near-misses — nothing like the somewhat tame life he experienced over a dozen years in a Canadian uniform.

His first time in combat — ever — saw him thrown into the pitched battle for Irpin, a once-pleasant tree-lined community 20 kilometres west of Kyiv that proved to be the high-water mark for the Russian advance on the capital.

Shadow was tasked with assisting Wali by carrying ammunition and watching his friend's back. During one Russian assault, the two men were blown out of their sniper's nest by a shell

"We got hit by a tank," Shadow said. "He shelled the building and missed us by, like, three metres. After that, we started to get more small arms fire, and then we got out of the building, and then after that … a huge firefight.

"I haven't … that was my first firefight. The Russians, they were like 50 metres from us, bullets flying everywhere, everywhere. We couldn't do anything, and they actually tried to surround us."

One of the other soldiers with them responded with a rocket-propelled grenade, giving all of them enough cover to withdraw, leap into a van and speed away before being overrun.

Bodies in the streets​

In late March and early April, Shadow and Wali participated in the liberation of Irpin as Russian forces withdrew from north of Kyiv and concentrated their forces in the eastern Donbas region.

There's a hint of bitterness in Shadow's voice as he reflects on what he saw and the toll the war has had on civilians.

"We are talking about civilians dying every day," he said. "I was fighting in Irpin, and then mass graves were found in Bucha, right? ...

"If NATO had stepped in, the war would have been done in like less than a week, but because everyone sat back and watched, well, we are seeing all those civilians dying."

He said he's equally skeptical of the West's approach going forward. What Ukraine needs, he said, are boots on the ground.

"That's what we need," he said. "Prayers? I'm sorry, but it doesn't do anything.
Money? Yes, it helps. Armaments? Yes, it helps, but at the end of the day, the Ukrainians are left alone to fight against Russia.

"We let the Ukrainians fight alone against Russia, and it's … I cannot, like, I don't have any words for this. That's why I had to come here to help them because I feel that the world has let down the Ukrainians."

After too many close calls, he said, he won't be returning to the eastern front.
"I did my time there. For now, I will do humanitarian aid. I'll just stay here in Lviv and be as useful as I can be."

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Volunteers who quit should be executed for desertion.
Most quit because they missed the comfort of home. No hot shower. No comfort food. No gf.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Volunteers who quit should be executed for desertion.
Most quit because they missed the comfort of home. No hot shower. No comfort food. No gf.

More like they found out who/what they have been actually fighting for, and made a hasty exit.

Zelensky should have been droned long ago. The war would have been over within days. :cool: