• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Worker Party's Watson Chong sure get scolding from Low Thia Khiang & Sylvia Lim.

paulhong

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP members so fast fighting to be hero already. :rolleyes:

Watson%20Chong%20Cham%20Weng.jpg

remember just one year ago, at a gathering a staff who works in the engineering department of SMRT was sharing with me about the disquiet among the engineering team with regards to how the senior management responded to the issues of the rails along the NS and EW lines.
He said that the rail is a life component and is long overdue for replacement. Instead of replacement, the engineering team was asked to grind the rail to reduce vibration and smoothened the ride.
He said that certain section of the rail was already grinded below the safety tolerances. He feared for the worse. The rail which is in used beyond its useful life may crack and the frequent grinding below the safety tolerances may cause the train to derail and result in a national disaster.
When this was brought up time and again the senior management did not take actions to replace the rail and instead remarked that “if it is still in working condition why change?”
Now, one year later, his fear and concerns is not misplaced. The cracks on the rails started to appear as reported.
Certainly, I’m quite sure that this senior management team of men and women at the SMRT are well qualified to manage the national transport network. However, given what I gather and what turned out to be true, I am deeply concerned that our national transportation network is managed by a bunch of unconscionable and irresponsible men and women at the top.
There seemed to be no oversight from the authority over the operator as well.
We must get to the bottom of this before a national rail disaster happens.

Last edited:

PrinceCharming

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, given what I gather and what turned out to be true, I am deeply concerned that our national transportation network is managed by a bunch of unconscionable and irresponsible men and women at the top.

These men and women at the top have been approved by Pinky to run SMRT.

Don't bother. How much are you paid by LEEgime to look into it? S$2.5 million per year?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I told you guys about the SMRT catastrophe to come. It will be full blown soon. The coverups with small repairs here and there a few hours late shows stupidity of the management. You need to understand how serious is the problem. Every solution comes with a price and how do you gauge that price. With the failed faked scholars of Leegime, do little here and there like big thing. Ship still sinks. You may witness a few lines failing simultaneously soon. The only terrorists responsible are the Leegime.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The new CEO of SMRT, paid a million bucks, stated that it will take 5 years to resolve the current problems.

He is managing your expectation while maintaining his compensation expectation.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wonder what are the causes for the problems... :o:o:o

contrary to laymen opinions that transit tracks are long term infrastructure investments and do not wear out easily over time, they are actually short term (less than 5 years depending on train frequency and load) installations and require regular rail and parts replacement. in the bay area rapid transit system here where frequencies and passenger loads are lighter than in sg, track maintenance is done every night after midnight and sections of rails and track parts are replaced constantly. it's a never-ending job. miles of spare rails are stored at depots in union city and concord. they take up storage space, and they are constantly being replenished.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, given what I gather and what turned out to be true, I am deeply concerned that our national transportation network is managed by a bunch of unconscionable and irresponsible men and women at the top.

This allegation alone can get him into serious shit.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I thought there was an inquiry done for the SMRT issue. Why was this not surfaced?

WP members so fast fighting to be hero already. :rolleyes:

Watson%20Chong%20Cham%20Weng.jpg

remember just one year ago, at a gathering a staff who works in the engineering department of SMRT was sharing with me about the disquiet among the engineering team with regards to how the senior management responded to the issues of the rails along the NS and EW lines.
He said that the rail is a life component and is long overdue for replacement. Instead of replacement, the engineering team was asked to grind the rail to reduce vibration and smoothened the ride.
He said that certain section of the rail was already grinded below the safety tolerances. He feared for the worse. The rail which is in used beyond its useful life may crack and the frequent grinding below the safety tolerances may cause the train to derail and result in a national disaster.
When this was brought up time and again the senior management did not take actions to replace the rail and instead remarked that “if it is still in working condition why change?”
Now, one year later, his fear and concerns is not misplaced. The cracks on the rails started to appear as reported.
Certainly, I’m quite sure that this senior management team of men and women at the SMRT are well qualified to manage the national transport network. However, given what I gather and what turned out to be true, I am deeply concerned that our national transportation network is managed by a bunch of unconscionable and irresponsible men and women at the top.
There seemed to be no oversight from the authority over the operator as well.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
contrary to laymen opinions that transit tracks are long term infrastructure investments and do not wear out easily over time, they are actually short term (less than 5 years depending on train frequency and load) installations and require regular rail and parts replacement. in the bay area rapid transit system here where frequencies and passenger loads are lighter than in sg, track maintenance is done every night after midnight and sections of rails and track parts are replaced constantly. it's a never-ending job. miles of spare rails are stored at depots in union city and concord. they take up storage space, and they are constantly being replenished.

Any engineer worth his/her salt can tell u that what SMRT calls "long term solutions" are actually short term fixes....eg cable-tying!!!. They r trying to hold the whole blinking infrastructure with some glue and chicken wire and ...hope for the best!!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any engineer worth his/her salt can tell u that what SMRT calls "long term solutions" are actually short term fixes....eg cable-tying!!!. They r trying to hold the whole blinking infrastructure with some glue and chicken wire and ...hope for the best!!

they should be awarded the nobull prize for cumming up with an insanely innovative and cheap solution. :p

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whether it's due to Watson's FB post or not, this is in the news today...

My question is: why don't SMRT engineers feedback to their organisation about the safety concerns instead of speaking to a WP member? Is the organisational culture so top down that it risks passenger safety?

SMRT to inspect entire NSEW line for potential rail cracks

Royston Sim | The Straits Times | Monday, May 20, 2013

Rail operator SMRT will conduct a thorough inspection of the North-South and East-West lines to detect areas where rail cracks could potentially occur.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

Read the full statement from SMRT's Vice-President for Corporate Marketing and Communications, Ms Kalai Natarajan here:

SMRT has conducted a preliminary analysis into the two rail crack incidents that had occurred on the North-South Line on 29 April and 18 May. Based on the analysis findings, we are carrying out a full investigation to determine the root cause(s) of the incidents and will at the same time, be conducting a thorough inspection on the entire network to detect and address any areas where similar incidents may potentially occur.

Our preliminary findings revealed that both incidents bore several similarities. Firstly, both rail cracks had occurred at rail joints that were welded between old and new rails located on high rails of a curve track. Both incidents also happened on concrete tracks, at locations within close proximity to the tail wall of the underground stations. Lastly, both affected rail joints had been welded by the same contractor in June last year and February this year respectively.

Based on these findings, we are carrying out a full investigation into four main areas to determine the root cause(s) of the incidents. These comprise:

(1) Material: Sending materials used for welding of the two cracked rails for full laboratory tests to determine their content, quality, and condition;

(2) Workmanship: Identifying, inspecting and conducting tests on all rail joints in the system that were welded by the same contractor, to determine their integrity;

(3) Stress factors: Studying in detail possible stress factors which may have contributed to the rail cracks. These include the possibility of stress initiation sites that were created from a height difference formed between the welded rails; and additional stress to the rail joints that may be caused by braking forces of passing trains at the tail wall tracks of underground stations;

(4) Welding Process: Carrying out thorough investigation on the welding process of the rails, such as whether any inadequate pre-welding heating or misalignment of rail ends during the welding process could have contributed to improper flow of welding materials and thus poorly cast welds that are susceptible to cracks.

SMRT is leaving no stone unturned in our quest to ensure that similar incidents do not occur again. We are conducting a thorough inspection of all suspected rail joints in the entire network and will be taking the appropriate remedial actions. This is in addition to our regular patrols and tests carried out on all our tracks to detect rail flaws in order to ensure rail integrity.

We reassure passengers that safety is our priority. SMRT had responded to both the incidents this year in compliance to safety and recovery procedures, and train services would not have been allowed to continue if it was assessed that passenger safety may be, in any way, compromised.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably the most detailed press release ever in govt/ GLC history. The only thong missing is the CEO visiting the location, bending down and touching the affected track while SPH snaps a friendly photo.