• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Withdrawing money from atm in thailand vs using a moneychanger in sg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey guys i read that some of you prefer to use atm cos it's more convinent.

Well there's obviously a charge since the money is being taken out from a foreign bank. The banks of thailand will charge a service charge of 150bhat while the local banks like dbs charges 5 bucks. Therefore it's 2 service charges from both banks 150 bhat + 5 bucks.

Another thing is the exchange rate. From what i know the rate for sg to thai bhat is 1 to 24.1 is this correct?

Yet if you withdraw money using atm in thailand i think the exchange rate is 23.1 i think. Anyone can confirm this for me?

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The exchange rate for ATM withdraw is definitely lower than moneychanger rates and the difference is 1 baht.
Also the withdrawal fee of 150 baht is for per withdrawal, so if you intend to draw out more then use those banks with higher maximum limit.
Bangkok bank is 25k while the rest like SC and K bank only 20k each withdrawal.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont know exact Thailand ATM charges but I never used. Everytime I change my S$ cash to Bht at GM first. Follow my laojiao cheongster friends I monkey see monkey do. So far OK. Only thing is scared of dropping or robbing or stealing. But so far so good.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When u go to BKK, $$$ doesn't matters lah, I used ATMs there many times, once even took the money but forgot my to take my card :eek::eek::biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
When u go to BKK, $$$ doesn't matters lah, I used ATMs there many times, once even took the money but forgot my to take my card :eek::eek::biggrin:

That is the problem with bKK ATM. Collect money first, and then ATM card. I can't remember Singapore, but in Taiwan it's the other way round.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
To all brothers please be careful about the way ATM discharges money and card. I was fucked big time once and its all my fault.

I Singapore, after everything you wait for your ATM card and after you get your cash right?

In Thailand it is different, you get your money first then your card.

Because habit die hard when you are here after you take cash you may forget card because in Singapore after cash you go away right?

I was fucked in Funan last year when after the card comes out I fucked off leaving the $1000 cash in the ATM. Old habit you see, in Thailand after you take card you fuck off. I reported this and DBS/POSB told me that immediately the cash was taken away not eaten up by the machine because there was a line. They investigated and after 2 months told me that indeed there was someone taking the money away but the camera couldn't see the face. :oIo: :oIo: :oIo:

I lan lan

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To all brothers please be careful about the way ATM discharges money and card. I was fucked big time once and its all my fault.

I Singapore, after everything you wait for your ATM card and after you get your cash right?

In Thailand it is different, you get your money first then your card.

Because habit die hard when you are here after you take cash you may forget card because in Singapore after cash you go away right?

I was fucked in Funan last year when after the card comes out I fucked off leaving the $1000 cash in the ATM. Old habit you see, in Thailand after you take card you fuck off. I reported this and DBS/POSB told me that immediately the cash was taken away not eaten up by the machine because there was a line. They investigated and after 2 months told me that indeed there was someone taking the money away but the camera couldn't see the face. :oIo: :oIo: :oIo:

I lan lan

Bro this is nuts. You forgot to take the 1k in funan? I suppose the next person in line didn't slot in his atm card if not the next person that did the transaction would be the one that took your money. Btw when did you discover you didn't have any money despite taking out 1 k?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is the problem with bKK ATM. Collect money first, and then ATM card. I can't remember Singapore, but in Taiwan it's the other way round.
OMG.... I didnt notice the sequences... :eek::eek: All i know was I was somewhere then suddenly cant find my card, then I realised I lost it, lol

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best Option. Open an account with a Thai Bank with ATM/VISA debit card. Remit money from Singapore to Thailand. Morning sent, afternoon get. Good exchange rate also. 23.9 was the rate I get mid Sep.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best Option. Open an account with a Thai Bank with ATM/VISA debit card. Remit money from Singapore to Thailand. Morning sent, afternoon get. Good exchange rate also. 23.9 was the rate I get mid Sep.

Ah i see exchange rate of 23.9 is still pretty good. I suppose this is good for those ppl that reside a long time in thailand but have no plans to migrate there. This will allow them to not have to bring a huge sum of thai bhat or sg dollars into thai and to avoid the low exchange rate and additional charges of withdrawing money from a different bank.

Btw is it easy to open a thai bank a/c and do you need to pay fees to maintain it?

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw is it easy to open a thai bank a/c and do you need to pay fees to maintain it?

I am hearing from our customers Bangkok is very strict on foreigners opening account in the banks there...... so they going to the smaller cities to opening accounts with the Thai banks. Very easy to do and also not many questions are being asking .

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yes I forgot because its been a long time since I use Singapore ATM and I'm so used to Thai system. I took the fucking card and took an elevator up then realized 1k not with me. Just a mater of 1min and I rushed down and its gone because there is a fucking line. Damn suay.

Bro this is nuts. You forgot to take the 1k in funan? I suppose the next person in line didn't slot in his atm card if not the next person that did the transaction would be the one that took your money. Btw when did you discover you didn't have any money despite taking out 1 k?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am hearing from our customers Bangkok is very strict on foreigners opening account in the banks there...... so they going to the smaller cities to opening accounts with the Thai banks. Very easy to do and also not many questions are being asking .

Do they require a minimum amount of money to be placed into a bank a/c and do you need to pay any charges? I suppose no charges for a savings but one for a current account?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do they require a minimum amount of money to be placed into a bank a/c and do you need to pay any charges? I suppose no charges for a savings but one for a current account?

There is no charge for savings account. If you don't have a work permit, you're not allowed to open current account. But you can try foreign bank and open a non-resident account. You can then open a current account with foreign bank, but the Central Bank of Thailand will make sure that no interest is paid into your non-resident account with foreign bank.