• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Windows XP (Undoing Make "My Documents" Private)

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
buy a MAC don't look back... ha ha ha.. anyway, is the MAC that reliable?:rolleyes:

The reliability of Mac is a propaganda which Mac fanboy love to use against Windows. I'm working in IT and as far as my company goes, the Mac crashes as much as the PC. Given the ratio of Mac:PC in my company, the percentage of Mac crashing is proportionally > PC crashes. True, Mac doesnt have a lot of other issues that Windows have(mainly virus issues) but that bit about PC crashing more then Mac is a myth. PC have been stable since XP SP2. Its all down to maintenance. If U use it correctly it wont crash. Mac is no better then PC then a PC is better then a Mac. Both are better at one thing then the other. Of coz Apple's tyrannic hold on Hardware and Software like its a dictator or something certainly doesnt attract much fans.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reliability of Mac is a propaganda which Mac fanboy love to use against Windows. I'm working in IT and as far as my company goes, the Mac crashes as much as the PC. Given the ratio of Mac:PC in my company, the percentage of Mac crashing is proportionally > PC crashes. True, Mac doesnt have a lot of other issues that Windows have(mainly virus issues) but that bit about PC crashing more then Mac is a myth. PC have been stable since XP SP2. Its all down to maintenance. If U use it correctly it wont crash. Mac is no better then PC then a PC is better then a Mac. Both are better at one thing then the other. Of coz Apple's tyrannic hold on Hardware and Software like its a dictator or something certainly doesnt attract much fans.

How about this, then, my friend?

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/01/mac-market-share-hits-record/

If Mac isn't attracting a lot of fans, then I would like to ask for your kind opinion about the above report...

Oh and btw, in regards to crashes, as I said before, its not about whether mac or pc crash. As computers, both will crash. But magnitude is also important. In a PC when IE crashes, most likely a restart is needed. Sometimes, even a reformat of the entire hard drive is needed. And repeated crashes in a PC will damage the hard drive and ensure that a change of the PC at home or in the office is needed after 2-3 years if one wants to maintain optimum performance in the office/ at home.

But Macs, while they do crash as well, is more likely due to say a crash of a third party software. For example, Firefox 3.0 does crash more often than Safari. MS Word for Mac, as with all other MS office suites, crash on the Mac. But the magnitude is smaller. Most likely than not, the OS will not freeze. The program crashes and only the program crash. But it will not need a restart of the Mac OS X, or even worse, the need to reformat your disk and re-install the OS.

And as for why Apple makes its own software and hardware, especially for iLife and iWork, and for iPhones and iPods? Well, beyond profit reasons, its also to almost eliminate any form of software and hardware crashes, so as to allow users to focus on the main issues of work. And that's the key.

Still, as I said many times, I do understand that many businesses still use Windows in their offices; its understandable and its not likely to change. But as long as Windows remain as it is, and continue to do Vista-like fiascoes, don't blame if young business leaders and designers continue to buy iMacs and Macbooks and put it beside their PC in the office or at home.

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about this, then, my friend?

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/01/mac-market-share-hits-record/

If Mac isn't attracting a lot of fans, then I would like to ask for your kind opinion about the above report...

Still, as I said many times, I do understand that many businesses still use Windows in their offices; its understandable and its not likely to change. But as long as Windows remain as it is, and continue to do Vista-like fiascoes, don't blame if young business leaders and designers continue to buy iMacs and Macbooks and put it beside their PC in the office or at home.

I apologize for the misunderstanding for this part

Of coz Apple's tyrannic hold on Hardware and Software like its a dictator or something certainly doesnt attract much fans.

What I meant to say was many pple are not great fans of Apple's must buy my hardware if U want to use my software attitude.

Oh and btw, in regards to crashes, as I said before, its not about whether mac or pc crash. As computers, both will crash. But magnitude is also important. In a PC when IE crashes, most likely a restart is needed. Sometimes, even a reformat of the entire hard drive is needed.

What's stopping pple from installing Firefox. I don't use IE, I use Firefox.

I wonder if they are aware of tools like System Restore and Windows Repair. I haven't actually found myself in a situation(on Win XP and above) where I need to reformat my hdd

And repeated crashes in a PC will damage the hard drive

eh this doesnt make any sense but eh.. nevermind

and ensure that a change of the PC at home or in the office is needed after 2-3 years if one wants to maintain optimum performance in the office/ at home.

Not sure about U but I've not actually found myself having to reformat/reinstall windows for the last 5 years. I'm not saying it doesnt have its issue btw. There were 2 BSOD during the last 5 years, 1)Memory went dead, 2)Graphics card went dead. I've never had any software issue with it, and unlike many old system I've seen, it doesnt take a thousand years to load. I'm a fairly heavy user, the PC run at least 8-9hrs everyday btw for download web hosting and such. Same goes for my work notebook. Been running for 3 yrs with no issue. The only reason why I'd be getting a new one is becoz company policy is 3 yr depreciation period and I am entitled to get a new one

And as for why Apple makes its own software and hardware, especially for iLife and iWork, and for iPhones and iPods? Well, beyond profit reasons, its also to almost eliminate any form of software and hardware crashes, so as to allow users to focus on the main issues of work. And that's the key.

Running joke about this one if M$ release the same suite of stuff, they'll get sued for monopoly

Reminds me of the article on Windows 7 where legal experts are already looking into it to see what potential anti monopoly law it might have violated. Funny how they could be targeting something that isn't even out on Beta yet

As for ILife and IWorks, not everything on them are that great.e.g. I prefer Picasa over IPhoto. Windows Media Player 11 definitely > Quicktime and Front Row definately suck when compared to Windows Media Center. Iphones can't even forward SMSes without 3rd party software(might be sour grapes since I'm pretty much stuck on a Blackberry no thanks to my job) and Ipod isnt even the best MP3 player out there, that title goes to the Creative Zen X-fi if you're an audiophile.

And just in case you're wondering, yes I have a Mac. I have an IMac, 1 5 yr old PC on XP(now used by my mum), a month old SFF PC on Vista which I am using as a HTPC and a working Notebook on XP. I actually bought the IMac to replace the 5 yr old antique after one of the memory module and my graphic card went dead. Used it for a little over a year and frankly speaking, the thing about Mac > PC is totally overhyped. I don't think any of them are better or worse then any other one of them. Its about how you use it. If you know how to maintain it properly, one is just as good as the other. Buy a Mac and U won't look back? Well I just bought another PC(ok for different purpose but still I looked back)!!! Not likely I'll buy another Mac once this one goes dead.

and continue to do Vista-like fiascoes

I am trying to figure out what is wrong here. I'm using vista right now, the only real issue I have with Vista is that its a memory sucker. As long as your PC specs have > 1gb memory(as with most Hardware configs these days), there shouldn't be any issue with Vista.

Last edited:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think in the end, really how a PC performs is usually up to the user. I have heard similar things from British PC users, who are very technologically savvy, and they have tweaked their PCs to the point where they can use their PCs without crashing it.

Some have even managed to make it work for a long time. They are also very inclined to use a PC than a Mac

But in the end, we are talking about people who do not have enough time to tweak their PCs, or are simply too old to understand how to tweak the PC to encourage maximum performance.

And let's face it: there are businessmen and designers who simply don't care about tweaking and just want a computer that performs. And if a Macbook pro can communicate well with their office PCs, that's what that matters. Besides, even Mac fans do have say a Blackberry.

For example, Sen. Obama has 2 macbooks for his daughters, but is also a Blackberry addict.

I myself wanted an iPhone but without an Aussie credit card, there's no apps store and iTunes store. Without these and without the services they sell, there was no point in getting one. So I got a LG u990 instead, and it offered everything on a cheap plan from 3 network in Oz.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what you do:

1. Start your PC in safe mode. How ? When you turn on your PC, keep hitting F8 till you see a Windoze menu and select the first option - Safe Mode.

2. Sign in as Administrator.

3. Right click on Start and select Explore.

4. Right click on the intended folder (marked private) and select Properties.

5. Click on Security tab of the Properties.

6. Click Add to add user, choose administrator.

7. Make sure that the Permissions are set to allow for all under administrator.

8. Now, try if you could assess the folder. If not, click Advanced..... you will have to set a lot more stuff, too long to continue, you need to add administrator to ownership, permission, audit, and etc.

Try it........ At least, I am successful in doing so.

Sorry need to trouble IT experts here.

My computer is running on Windows XP Home Edition. I have 2 HDDs (drives C: and D:smile: and 1 external USB disk drive (drive G:smile: where "My Documents" are filed.

To keep those files in "My Documents" private, I protected my data by selecting "Make Private" in the User settings. Subsequently my computer crashed and I had to reformat my C: drive.

Now that I have restored my computer, I can see the document folder in my external disk drive but cannot access it as it kept telling me "Access is denied". Is there any way to undo the protection?

Any feedback is deeply appreciated.

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Click Start, and then click My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing check box. Click OK. Then, follow these steps:

* Right-click the folder in question, and choose Properties.
* Click the Security tab.
* Click Add, and type in Administrators, click OK.
* Select Administrators group that you've added now.
* Put a checkmark near Full Control (Allow) in Permissions box.
* Click OK.

For Windows XP Home Edition, you need to start Windows in Safe Mode in order to see the Security tab. Remaining steps are the same.

Once you add Administrators group and give them Full Control for the folder, the Make this Folder Private option is automatically disabled.

This is what you do:

1. Start your PC in safe mode. How ? When you turn on your PC, keep hitting F8 till you see a Windoze menu and select the first option - Safe Mode.

2. Sign in as Administrator.

3. Right click on Start and select Explore.

4. Right click on the intended folder (marked private) and select Properties.

5. Click on Security tab of the Properties.

6. Click Add to add user, choose administrator.

7. Make sure that the Permissions are set to allow for all under administrator.

8. Now, try if you could assess the folder. If not, click Advanced..... you will have to set a lot more stuff, too long to continue, you need to add administrator to ownership, permission, audit, and etc.

Try it........ At least, I am successful in doing so.

Thanks bro tititata and kuntakinte for your kind feedback. I've actually found the solution as what both of you had advised the day after my post. I did not log in to review the replies as I saw the thread has deviated into a MS/Mac war.

Really appreciate your feedbacks here. Hopefully it will help others who face the same issue in future. Cheers :rolleyes: