• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Windows XP (Undoing Make "My Documents" Private)

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry need to trouble IT experts here.

My computer is running on Windows XP Home Edition. I have 2 HDDs (drives C: and D:smile: and 1 external USB disk drive (drive G:smile: where "My Documents" are filed.

To keep those files in "My Documents" private, I protected my data by selecting "Make Private" in the User settings. Subsequently my computer crashed and I had to reformat my C: drive.

Now that I have restored my computer, I can see the document folder in my external disk drive but cannot access it as it kept telling me "Access is denied". Is there any way to undo the protection?

Any feedback is deeply appreciated.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right click on the external drive and click on properties; make sure the attributes is not click on READ; that is uncheck the boxes with the READ.

Also when you meant restore, did you restore back to XP Home or Vista ? The last time I had this problem was only in Vista edition after restore.

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your quick reply. What I meant is that after reformatting my PC's C: drive, I cannot open the document folder previously protected on my external disk drive.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

May I be the first to offer you my heartfelt condolences.:(

I hope you learn the error of your ways and purchase a proper computer the next time round.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use the steps mentioned again by plugging in on another PC or Notebook and see if that is the case. If it is really encrypted good luck to you.

FYI, since the begining of Sammy Times, Sam Leong is Anti Microshit

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use the steps mentioned again by plugging in on another PC or Notebook and see if that is the case. If it is really encrypted good luck to you.

FYI, since the begining of Sammy Times, Sam Leong is Anti Microshit

Yup. He's a Mac freak :p

Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vaguely remember having a similar problem. Your document folder access was restricted to the login user. Here are some suggestions:
1. Log in as administrator, right click on the properties of the folder and grant access to yourself. Copy out the files.
2. Create a user name that is the same one you used previously. Log in as that user and try to access that folder.
Best best is administrator login as it is suppose to have full rights. Now you know why UNIX file managment is better :smile:
Hope it helps/

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vaguely remember having a similar problem. Your document folder access was restricted to the login user. Here are some suggestions:
1. Log in as administrator, right click on the properties of the folder and grant access to yourself. Copy out the files.
2. Create a user name that is the same one you used previously. Log in as that user and try to access that folder.
Best best is administrator login as it is suppose to have full rights. Now you know why UNIX file managment is better :smile:
Hope it helps/

Thank you for your suggestion but I think your method does not work with with Windows XP Home Edition.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a few things I strongly agree with Sam, and one of them is in regards to the Windows issue.

I agree that MS Vista is crap and XP is just about slightly okay, functionable, but not much better. Mac OS X Leopard is just sizzling really, and its a good system. In fact I don't get system freezes as much as I got in XP.

The only times when my Leopard froze was when my MS word froze. So basically the blame is on MS products(I only use MS word because every university computer uses MS Office as their default) for freezing my Macbook.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm just prudent. I prefer to use a computer that works rather than one that is constantly causing grief. :p

are you saying your Mac will never crash? i knew of a few Mac users who have very bad tempers including the inventor of Mac Steve Job himself......lol..

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing works when it comes to winshit stuff. You should use a proper operating system to avoid these sorts of problems.

Earlier this week, a report posted to a french newspaper claimed that some Mac Pros emitting an odor could be actually be toxic fumes.

A scientist quoted in the article says the odor contains several toxins, including benzene. Prolonged exposure to benzene raises the risk for diseases, including cancer.
An Apple spokesperson spoke to Macworld and stated that they have not found any evidence to prove this claim, but states they will continue to investigate it.

A strange startup odor has been noted by some Mac Pro owners on Apple's discussion forums.

hey sammyboy, look like apple gone down hill after they start building in PRC. they have fake paint in mac pro.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Earlier this week, a report posted to a french newspaper claimed that some Mac Pros emitting an odor could be actually be toxic fumes.

A scientist quoted in the article says the odor contains several toxins, including benzene. Prolonged exposure to benzene raises the risk for diseases, including cancer.
An Apple spokesperson spoke to Macworld and stated that they have not found any evidence to prove this claim, but states they will continue to investigate it.

A strange startup odor has been noted by some Mac Pro owners on Apple's discussion forums.

hey sammyboy, look like apple gone down hill after they start building in PRC. they have fake paint in mac pro.

Reeks of some sort of jealousy-sour grapes to me really. Besides where's the website link to the article? Care to tell us where is it?

After all, I'm not ruling out what are you saying. But we need proof, and this means the website link is the first step in verifying what you have stated here.

And still having said that, Apple has been using less toxic substances in their computers, and is now allowing Mac users to return their old Macs for proper disposal at Mac shops. This is also to reduce pollution, and any subsequent damage from improper disposal of old computer equipment. In short, Apple is turning more green over the years.

And besides MS has done even worse. Under the recent green company list, MS's ratings has been lower than Apple.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you saying your Mac will never crash? i knew of a few Mac users who have very bad tempers including the inventor of Mac Steve Job himself......lol..

This isn't about the bad tempers of individuals here; its about the ability and performance of Mac OS X against the various MS windows. Please keep these personal attacks aside, especially when its not really related to what we have been talking about.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My computer is running on Windows XP Home Edition. I have 2 HDDs (drives C: and D:smile: and 1 external USB disk drive (drive G:smile: where "My Documents" are filed.

To keep those files in "My Documents" private, I protected my data by selecting "Make Private" in the User settings. Subsequently my computer crashed and I had to reformat my C: drive.

Now that I have restored my computer, I can see the document folder in my external disk drive but cannot access it as it kept telling me "Access is denied". Is there any way to undo the protection?

I have this problem with XP before, the same problem as yours with password protected &/or "my documents" private. My HDD crashed, and whatever I did backup (religiously) to an external HDD of my entire HDD, and restore back to a new HDD, install OS etc.., and then the contents of external HDD to the new HDD. Nothing will ever bring back to life the encrypted folders, that means you will get that "access denied". or even empty folder.

That is the major problems, window user faces, my sympathy to you, nothing you nor your computer technician will be able to resuurect the folders etc.

Nowadays I back all my important folders to an external HDD or thumbdrive, without the set to private or password protected.

Wonder if the MAC have the problems with this?, will the TIME MACHINE restores eveything faithfully, including passord protected, encyrpted folders?.

Maybe you want to pay Micro sh#@#t to try to rescue them folders for you?. That I never tried, but I am sure they have some technical get round to that problem. I just resigned to my fate that fortunately I never leave too important a files or folders on my notebook computer or desktop. I back up , back up to external, backup to disks just backup...

Don't trust XP, VISTA...whatever...

buy a MAC don't look back... ha ha ha.. anyway, is the MAC that reliable?:rolleyes:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have this problem with XP before, the same problem as yours with password protected &/or "my documents" private. My HDD crashed, and whatever I did backup (religiously) to an external HDD of my entire HDD, and restore back to a new HDD, install OS etc.., and then the contents of external HDD to the new HDD. Nothing will ever bring back to life the encrypted folders, that means you will get that "access denied". or even empty folder.

That is the major problems, window user faces, my sympathy to you, nothing you nor your computer technician will be able to resuurect the folders etc.

Nowadays I back all my important folders to an external HDD or thumbdrive, without the set to private or password protected.

Wonder if the MAC have the problems with this?, will the TIME MACHINE restores eveything faithfully, including passord protected, encyrpted folders?.

Maybe you want to pay Micro sh#@#t to try to rescue them folders for you?. That I never tried, but I am sure they have some technical get round to that problem. I just resigned to my fate that fortunately I never leave too important a files or folders on my notebook computer or desktop. I back up , back up to external, backup to disks just backup...

Don't trust XP, VISTA...whatever...

buy a MAC don't look back... ha ha ha.. anyway, is the MAC that reliable?:rolleyes:

Like I said, don't prejudge until you have used the mac. Its the fear of the unknown that MS puts in its users into that makes MS regulars fearful of the mac.

But the truth is that there's nothing to fear. If anything, Mac is more user friendly because the OS is made for people who uses instinct. Its instinctive basically. So people shouldn't fear the mac; there's nothing to fear.

Its like when one speaks only one language and thinks a second language is wrong. But the fact is that if one is only speaking one language, he's being restrictive. So there's nothing wrong for Singaporeans to be fluent in both English and either in their mother tongues or in the various dialects of their mother tongue.

So backup wise, Mac is better than MS. The only issue here is price, and the premiums that come with Apple products. But Time Machine and the wireless Time machine backups are more reliable, and easier to use. So the premiums are worth it. Think of it as an investment.

tititata

Alfrescian
Loyal

Click Start, and then click My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing check box. Click OK. Then, follow these steps:

* Right-click the folder in question, and choose Properties.
* Click the Security tab.
* Click Add, and type in Administrators, click OK.
* Select Administrators group that you've added now.
* Put a checkmark near Full Control (Allow) in Permissions box.
* Click OK.

For Windows XP Home Edition, you need to start Windows in Safe Mode in order to see the Security tab. Remaining steps are the same.

Once you add Administrators group and give them Full Control for the folder, the Make this Folder Private option is automatically disabled.