• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Window Service Centre scam

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beware the 'Windows Service Centre' scam

Letter from Rex J Morais
04:46 AM Aug 16, 2011
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em'); </SCRIPT>

I am writing to warn your readers, after somebody claiming to be from a "Windows Service Centre" telephoned me about so-called error messages from my computer.

The line was passed to "senior technicians" who, to some extent, convinced me that my computer had serious malware and spyware and that my firewall was corrupted.

I was asked to download and install a software, "Teamviewer'" (which enabled them to control my computer), and to pay S$171 to get my software fixed or risk losing all my computer data within a few hours.

As I could see that some changes were being made to my desktop, I promptly disconnected from the Internet, uninstalled the software and restored my computer to its previous settings.

I realised it was a scam and a subsequent search online confirmed my suspicions. The scammers even gave a phone number, 8001012199, which does connect to a so-called "Windows Service Centre".

There must have been other victims and I hope more are now forewarned.

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I received the call too. They in fact was able to give you a so-called computer id code that was only privy to Microsoft. Passed to senior techician who spent a long time with you with the intention to make you obligated. Then came the bomb shell- buy our special package, its US$171 not S$. After the call I wrote in immediately to Microsoft/windows to verify. They gave me a typical PAP answer by sending me a list of other unrelated things to show their efficiency. The truth of the matter is that Microsoft/Window are totally unaware and don't even know who the hell these english speaking Indians operating from a disused JI cell somewhere probably in Pakistan were. Please pass this message to all and them them that if they should receive such a call- give them a damn good blasting. Once you agree to buy the package they will have your credit card details and I don't think the price will be only US$171. Anyway, where did they get your details? I'm using a HP computer are you using one too. If so then it is one of HP service providers. We can probably loge a police report against HP if so.