• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will Samak be forced to resign?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai politics never fails to amuse me, like how corrupt Chalerm Yoobamrung with an SOB murderer gangster son can hold a cabinet post, Chuwit the big massage parlour boss turned politican spilling some beans, 'chef' Samak with his caustic tongue and Thaksin talking about rule of law and due process, oh and Sondhi, Chamlong, Prem and even King Bhumipol are no angel either:rolleyes::biggrin:

So what is going to happen next? Looks like all sides from the King to the Army to Samak to PAD to even the Democrats all appear to be playing a wait and see game for now. The King and Gen Paochinda (who I gather has just be reappointed as Army Chief again) probably hold the 2 keys to this impasse/stalemate. The unknown dangerous joker in the pack may be if mild provocation and violence escalates into bloodshed (as pro government supporters are now starting to assemble), even one death may be enough to start a snowball effect. I hope for the gracious kind ordinary folks of LOS it does not come to this. I also think it is time for Samak to be a decisive leader, either provide effective leadership or step down.

Just a frequent visitor to LOS, and with a wary eye on latest events. Just that I feel the ordinary folks in krung thep are not getting anything out of this. Latest window to the world doesn't bode well for them. Neither was last military regime, as they didn't have a success story with managing economy too. You could almost appreciate what the vet Chamlong said on most of thai electorate are not "educated" (with moneyed vote buying etc).

There's a extraodinary parliamentary sitting today. So what gives?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

Having lived and worked in Thailand intermittently from the time of Democrat Chuan Leek Pai (generally a good humble man who was unfortuantely surrounded by the traditional corrupt self-serving elites and Bangkok classes), I am of the view that on balance Thaksin was probably the best of a bad lot in realpolitik terms, his biggest legacy being to finally empower the rural majority poor. Perhaps the problem with Thaksin is that the raw massive power got to his head and this became his downfall (for now at least, I would not totally write him off though as he is a crafty fox and a survivor).

What happens post Thaksin is going to be interesting and tortuous as well as none of the chaps you mentioned appear to have the strength and ability to effectively lead Thailand. Probably back to square one with the same old backroom deals and weak coalition governments.

King Bhumipol and Gen Prem perhaps have to take a share of responsibility for the current abysmal state of Thai politics. I had a big laugh when Forbes recently ranked the King as the richest monarch in the world only for the Chakri House to quickly come out and clarify and deny that the King was worth so much:biggrin: To me the more important question and I think the most worrying question to all Thais is what happens when Bhumipol passes on, as it is common knowledge that the Crown Prince is basically useless and a former wastrel. Oh and Paul Handley's book "The King never smiles" is a must read for all those interested in getting a more balanced view of Bhumipol. A quick synopsis to whet your appetite, sanucks:smile:

Thailand’s Bhumibol Adulyadej, the only king ever born in the United States, came to the throne of his country in 1946 and is now the world’s longest-serving monarch. The King Never Smiles, the first independent biography of Thailand's monarch, tells the unexpected story of Bhumibol's life and sixty-year rule—how a Western-raised boy came to be seen by his people as a living Buddha, and how a king widely seen as beneficent and apolitical could in fact be so deeply political and autocratic.
Paul Handley provides an extensively researched, factual account of the king’s youth and personal development, ascent to the throne, skillful political maneuverings, and attempt to shape Thailand as a Buddhist kingdom. Handley takes full note of Bhumibol's achievements in art, in sports and jazz, and he credits the king's lifelong dedication to rural development and the livelihoods of his poorest subjects. But, looking beyond the widely accepted image of the king as egalitarian and virtuous, Handley portrays an anti-democratic monarch who, together with allies in big business and the corrupt Thai military, has protected a centuries-old, barely modified feudal dynasty.
When at nineteen Bhumibol assumed the throne, the Thai monarchy had been stripped of power and prestige. Over the ensuing decades, Bhumibol became the paramount political actor in the kingdom, silencing critics while winning the hearts and minds of his people. The book details this process and depicts Thailand’s unique constitutional monarch—his life, his thinking, and his ruling philosophy.

You think Samak is not capable, so who should go up and takeover? Chamlong? Sondhi? or the Abhisit?

Going via demostrations, protest is not the way to solve things. If things can and should be solved this way, thailand should go back to monarchy. Everyone tiam tiam and no sound can be made. Who dare to make any noise is considered national treason. So anyone thinks this is how the country should move?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having lived and worked in Thailand intermittently from the time of Democrat Chuan Leek Pai (generally a good humble man who was unfortuantely surrounded by the traditional corrupt self-serving elites and Bangkok classes).
What happens post Thaksin is going to be interesting and tortuous as well as none of the chaps you mentioned appear to have the strength and ability to effectively lead Thailand. Probably back to square one with the same old backroom deals and weak coalition governments.
King Bhumipol and Gen Prem perhaps have to take a share of responsibility for the current abysmal state of Thai politics.
Good insight. Yo, likely electoral outome akin to wheel of life spinning full circle (irony?):wink:

On things police, they just transferred bkk top police honcho for not being form with protesters, fall guy?
http://www.bangkokpost.com/010908_News/01Sep2008_news03.php

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai PM searches for end to protests after rejecting new polls
Posted: 01 September 2008 1219 hrs

phpCGDPwZ.jpg

BANGKOK - Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Monday sought a peaceful solution to end a week of anti-government protests, after again rejecting calls for him to resign or hold new elections.

Thousands of protesters remained camped at the main government complex in central Bangkok early Monday, after storming through the gates seven days ago accusing Samak of acting as a puppet for ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Samak called an emergency session of parliament on Sunday, but the debate failed to produce any plan for ending the protests.

Hours after the debate ended, a small explosion went off during the night at a police traffic post near the Government House compound, but no one was injured and the blast caused only minor damage, police said.

During the debate, opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva suggested that Samak dissolve parliament and hold new elections to end the crisis -- a proposal that Samak angrily rejected.

"Your solutions do not show that you want to keep democracy. Why are the only solutions house dissolution and resignation? Why can't we choose the third option, which is to show the world that we maintain our democracy," he said.

The protests had erupted in clashes with riot police on Friday, causing dozens of minor injuries. Activists had also taken their campaign to the provinces, closing key regional airports on Friday, including the nation's second-busiest hub on the resort isle of Phuket.

By Sunday, normal air services had resumed, aviation authorities said.

But more than half of the kingdom's rail service has been suspended since Thursday as workers have called in sick to support the protests.

The leaders of the so-called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have already said that they would not accept a parliamentary solution to the crisis.

In addition to demanding that Samak resign, they want an overhaul of Thailand's system of government, saying only 30 per cent of seats in parliament should be elected, with the rest appointed.

PAD gathers most of its support from Bangkok's traditional elite and a portion of the middle class. Its leaders openly disparage the merit of votes cast by the nation's rural poor, who have thrown their support behind Thaksin and now Samak.

Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals in a military coup in 2006, and is now living in exile in Britain to avoid corruption charges at home.

But his allies still fill many top seats in government, and Samak won elections in December by campaigning as Thaksin's proxy.

Few Thais believe new elections would mend the basic split in Thai society between the traditional urban elite and the rural masses.

"Nobody enjoys elections," opposition leader Abhisit told Samak in parliament on Sunday. "I believe (new elections) would hurt me more, because you will come back as prime minister."

With no end to the crisis in sight, the Bangkok Post warned in an editorial that the situation could worsen. :eek:"

Since he has shown neither determination nor compassion in facing this test, he makes it seem that a troubled ending is inevitable," it said.

"The sad truth is that the Samak administration now seems intent only on surviving."
:(

- AFP/ir

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
in thailand,everything will hing on who control the military and have the King blessing.
once he gets the King's blessing and have the support of the military,he can start a coup liao.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of these protestors are already jobless, so having free food and some money undertable from you-know-who is what gives them the motivation.
Their actions is at the expense of those who are making a decent living and has to be disrupted because of them. I don't mean the govt but those common people.
to be jobless or not is sometimes a choice, n not always the fault on other's part. anyway, i tend to see things in better light, the rowdier the situation gets now, the more opportunities shall spring in the aftermath. meanwhile, it shouldnt take long b4 HM the king would be voicing concerns over the loss of lives... etc.

sooth-sayings have forecasted that thakshin could have a 2nd shot in steering the country out of unrest. given the facts, i dunno how much truth can come from the oracles, bt rises n falls r wat makes history exciting.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never say never. Also consider what happens after King Bhumipol passes on which is not far off going by his poor health. I would not totally write off Thaksin so soon, but at least for the immediate future his return is unlikely.

sooth-sayings have forecasted that thakshin could have a 2nd shot in steering the country out of unrest. given the facts, i dunno how much truth can come from the oracles, bt rises n falls r wat makes history exciting.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
to be jobless or not is sometimes a choice, n not always the fault on other's part. anyway, i tend to see things in better light, the rowdier the situation gets now, the more opportunities shall spring in the aftermath. meanwhile, it shouldnt take long b4 HM the king would be voicing concerns over the loss of lives... etc.

Then you should go myanmar, indonesia, cambodia. These places are rowdy and may provide you the most opportunities:o

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Never say never. Also consider what happens after King Bhumipol passes on which is not far off going by his poor health. I would not totally write off Thaksin so soon, but at least for the immediate future his return is unlikely.

After the king dies, the horny prince take over? The whole country will be collapse.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

Having lived and worked in Thailand intermittently from the time of Democrat Chuan Leek Pai (generally a good humble man who was unfortuantely surrounded by the traditional corrupt self-serving elites and Bangkok classes), I am of the view that on balance Thaksin was probably the best of a bad lot in realpolitik terms, his biggest legacy being to finally empower the rural majority poor. Perhaps the problem with Thaksin is that the raw massive power got to his head and this became his downfall (for now at least, I would not totally write him off though as he is a crafty fox and a survivor).

though i haven't been staying in thailand for a long time, i must say thaksin was the best among the bad lot. It's the same everywhere in many countries. Just like how those charity chiefs who were doing their part for charity and when they see so much donations, they help themselves to a portion of it.

though thaksin is not well-liked, many of his policies indeed improved the rural poor's life, even not by a lot by at least improved. i believe he is corrupt:p but i think who isn't. you give the seat to someone else, he will do it too but will the new person help the country at the same time help himself with riches. Not many will do that.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
BANGKOK: Thai Premier Samak Sundaravej on Thursday refused to resign or call snap elections, and instead launched a verbal offensive against protesters who have besieged his offices for 10 days.

In an hour-long national radio address, Samak sought to shore up his public support, proclaiming himself as a defender of Thailand's democracy and its revered monarchy, against a movement that he described as "lawless."

"I am not resigning, I will not dissolve parliament. I have to stay in order to preserve democracy and to protect the monarchy," he said.

he is defying the crowd,protesters and pressure.
he is staying on,let see how long he can still hold on without breaking and give in.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then you should go myanmar, indonesia, cambodia. These places are rowdy and may provide you the most opportunities:o
i've not ruled out these countries as opportunites too. their abundance in raw materials still pose possibilities that remain to be explored. however, it'd take them awhile more for them to ready themselves.

meanwhile, thailand is 1 of the strongest exporters in this region... the weaker the thb, the better for exports.

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
read that he had an audience with the King.
so maybe he is trying to find a honourable way to do it.
let hope everything will be returning to normal soon else brothers who are planning to go there either to meet their gg or have their annual pilgrim will have to wait longer.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was following up with the development in Thailand and the PAD disgust me, in particular by their perception of their wn country.

The fact remains that the PAD lost in the election and they should accept their defeat. There are reason for people not choosing them to run the country. Instead PAD is trying to remove democracy by rephrasing that many people of Thailand do not have the intelligent and therefore mindset to pick the right people for the job and therefore the country should only have a partially elected government. If this is the case, who should be the one nominating the other part? PAD?

The PAD go on a riot strike in the name of Democracy, yet all their action only reflect their disrespect of the system. If it is of children behaviour I would say that PAD is a spoilt brad trying to get what it wants by no matter the cost. They hijacked Democracy for their own invested interest!

This reminds me of some other issues that they claim earlier. Does giving free medical care to the poor and low interest loan to farmers for business means bribing the poor? So if this group of people comes into power, what would happen?

Firstly, all protest will be suppressed, because they got to where they are by this mean, they will make sure no other people can do the same. Next, there will be no help to the poor, the rich will become richer and poor become slaves. Election process will be removed because it is viewed as a damaging tool to Thailand's political process. So what would become of Thailand then? Only one word, Myanmar.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was following up with the development in Thailand and the PAD disgust me, in particular by their perception of their wn country.........because they got to where they are by this mean, they will make sure no other people can do the same. Next, there will be no help to the poor, the rich will become richer and poor become slaves. Election process will be removed because it is viewed as a damaging tool to Thailand's political process. So what would become of Thailand then? Only one word, Myanmar.
or perhaps a regime similiar to the likes of khmer rouge...?