• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will Mr Joseph Schooling serve NS after Tokyo Olympics

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will Mr Joseph Schooling serve NS after Tokyo Olympics? If Tokyo Olympics is cancelled, will he also serve his NS obligations? I acknowledge his contributions towards our local sporting scenes and I can perfectly understand that NS is a dent on his sporting career.

NS affects many of us too, and I believe Mr Schooling is shining example of this underlying issue.

Our system of National Service has guaranteed the career progression of useless army officers and regulars because they are promoted for being there "long enough" and perpetually, there are a group of juniors (NSFs and NSmen) under them, despite many being slackers.
Joseph should just abandon Singapore for his own future, nothing is fruitful for him to remain as Singaporean.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joseph should just abandon Singapore for his own future, nothing is fruitful for him to remain as Singaporean.
Isn't he our only Olympic gold medalist? Endorsement deals, coaching stints eat no finish bro. Unless he getting married to that American girl have children only then bailing out makes sense. :cool:

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't he our only Olympic gold medalist? Endorsement deals, coaching stints eat no finish bro. Unless he getting married to that American girl have children only then bailing out makes sense. :cool:
For as long as Joseph is earning comfortably, he can always stay and enjoy the fruit of his own labor. But to expect PAP government a long term endorsement and financial support for his future plan, better move on and never look back unless he is well connected and/or filthy rich. You should know that survival is all about how well one is connected.

As usual, you die, your business.

frontier

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have no right to criticize his performance, for he is still a great sportman and Olympic gold medalist. However, all indications are pointing to the likelihood that he is either unwilling to serve NS after Olympics or will suffer from depression due to adjustment issues like many recruits.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should probably follow the South Korean model: if you win a gold medal, you get exempted from reservist. :biggrin:

I think Israel and Taiwan have similar arrangements. Only Sinkieland is still stuck in last century's mindset... sad! :rolleyes:
They do not pay a million dollars for the gold medal either. Simi lanjio pun ai.

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
FlashBack to 2016

1627965579144.png

1627965634480.png

1627965657759.png

1627965675594.png

1627965698379.png

As a child, Schooling would take trips down to Ipoh on long breaks with his parents. But even on holiday, he never missed a swim.
"He would swim at the Ipoh Royal Gold Club, the family's pool and at Ipoh City Council swimming complex. He loved swimming when he was a child. He basically lived in the pool," Ms Yim told Malay Mail Online.
"To him, a day without swimming would be considered strange," said Ms Yim, who last met him at the Southeast Asian Games (SEA) Games in Singapore last year.
Schooling's talent and discipline showed from a very young age, she said.
"I have never seen a boy that age who was so focused and disciplined. Even when he was here on holiday, he would go swimming as early as 5am."
She said Schooling's family would try their best to support him at his competitions. Although the family was not able to be in Rio to cheer him on, she said "we were with him in spirit".
She is hoping to be able to catch the gold-medallist in action next at the 2017 SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur.
Schooling's historic Olympic triumph, she said, should silence his critics - some of whom have called for him to return to Singapore to complete his National Service.
"He was the first Singaporean athlete to receive a deferment because he was training for the Olympics, and some people wanted him to go back. I am so glad that he proved them wrong," she said.
As for what she would say to her nephew, now that he has achieved his goal: "I would tell him to go on and chase after his passion. Go Joe go!"

:biggrin:

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joseph Schooling 'a Father a Singaporean and His Mother a Malaysian

then is it Schooling a Half Malaysian ??? :thumbsdown:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
For anyone who can siam NS, I say: "Give the man a Tiger!"

NS is a total waste of anyone's time. After coming out of NS for so many donkey years, I still ask this question: I serve NS to protect who?

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who were granted NS deferment

You have keng enough. Report to Tekong for NS immediately. We need you desperately as foreigners continue to come in in large number and they need to be protected. Even lao peng like many of us are waiting to be mobilized for this national effort. As our ministers have said many times that NS is a privilege for citizens only and thus be proud that you are given this opportunity. Please treat your time in NS seriously as it can help in advancing your career in the future eg security guards. You will have the pleasure of protecting many CECAs of Ramesh from Upton type. Even if you do not like security jobs, do not worry. You can be your own boss running your own businesses eg grab driver and grab delivery are good jobs created by foreign talents especially for Sinkies. Do not even think about PMET jobs because such lousy jobs are now reserved for foreigners. As our beloved Minister for MOM has said ,”if they do not come from India they will come from elsewhere.” Further more “we are going to add diversity to our current PMET population” meaning more foreigners are on the way. Sinkies are not in the equation.