• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will I be able to forgo NS if I receive Thai citizenship?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm born to a Thai Mother and a Singaporean Father. Now that my parent are divorced, if I were to receive my Thai Citizenship, would I still need to serve National Service (NS)?

110321_ask_ns.jpg

Assuming that you are a male Singapore Citizen who is below 21 years of age, it would seem that you are still liable to serve National Service (NS) upon reaching 18 years of age.

What I found out from my phone conversation with Immigrations and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) is that your parent’s divorce would not affect your current status as a Singapore Citizen. As minors under the age of 21 are allowed dual citizenship, you would still be considered as a Singapore Citizen. Even if you decide to renounce your Singapore Citizenship, you cannot do so until you reach 21 years old and by then you would have completed your NS, according to the article “NS: Bond way out for genuine emigrants?”.