• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will hard disk drives soon be a thing of past?

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly and the resolution for the video keeps improving. next thing you know they can record in 3D and now 1 hour of footage is 40GB.

this will never work for people doing video work. 1 hour of dv footage is 13GB, how not to use a hdd?

PAP_Junta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly and the resolution for the video keeps improving. next thing you know they can record in 3D and now 1 hour of footage is 40GB.

But still even within the very professional cameras with huge resolutions, their media are being replaced from tape to HDD to flash cards. There are multiple slots that you can slot in several flash cards. There are gigantic flash memory modules in others.

http://www.red.com/accessories/digital_storage/

http://www.red.com/cameras/

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Har? I don't care! Got money buy the latest technology can already, why worry? No money go home par chiu cheng :biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think focus of the new article was storing information on remote server vs storing info on your computers rather than whether the hard drive as a storage media is thing of the past.

I suspect that it will be both. Consumers will probably use the remote servers but yet want to keep a copy of it on their own media (be it hard drives, SSD, etc). So manufacturers of storage media will have a boom time as people start keeping duplicates of all the information they have.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I am concerned is a system that's reliable. Harddisk or remote servers I dont care. Those genius can do what they want, just make sure they come out with things that are security safe, reliable and most importantly cheap and affordable.:p

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think focus of the new article was storing information on remote server vs storing info on your computers rather than whether the hard drive as a storage media is thing of the past.

I suspect that it will be both. Consumers will probably use the remote servers but yet want to keep a copy of it on their own media (be it hard drives, SSD, etc). So manufacturers of storage media will have a boom time as people start keeping duplicates of all the information they have.

Well, consider it this way.
Facility for offshore data banking.!

sweatshop lim

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dig the "faster", but where's the 'cheaper' and 'better'?

Will hard disk drives soon be a thing of past?

Google believes that the Chrome OS will effectively act as a gateway to the web, allowing users to store their filed and documents on remote servers rather than storing in hard disks.

Ever imagined a computer system without a hard disk drive? Well, soon there will be such systems that will need just a few gigabytes of storage, allowing users to store their documents, photos and videos on remote servers through Internet.

At least, that seems the vision of Internet giant Google, which recently demonstrated its new operating system — Chrome OS.

The operating system, which Google believes will revolutionise computing, effectively acts as a gateway to the web, allowing users to store their filed and documents on remote servers rather than storing in hard disks.

Users can access their emails, documents or social networking sites by clicking on application tabs in the browser— like interface and use panels at the bottom of the desktop to send an instant message or view a video, The Telegraph reported.

Computers can boot up faster and get connected with web in just seven seconds through the operating system, termed the “cloud computing” approach, it said.

“We want Chrome to be blazingly fast,” said Sundar Pichai, Google’s vice president of product management. “We want it to be like a TV — turn it on and it’s booted up.”

“Chrome will run only on computers that use flash memory solid state drives instead of conventional hard drives.”

“Over the past few years, people have been spending more and more of their time online doing more and more powerful things, and we wanted to build a fundamentally different computing experience built for the way we use the web today,” says Mr. Pichai.

“With Google Chrome OS, we’ve made computing faster, easier and safer than ever before.”

But some experts say Google could find it difficult to persuade consumers. Users will not be able to install their own software or applications on Chrome OS devices — so that means no iTunes, no Skype and no Tweetdeck.

“There’s no doubt that Chrome OS looks fast, but it’s fairly limited in terms of its functionality,” says Annette Jump, an analyst with Gartner. “A lot of work needs to be done to convince consumers that this operating system will be useful to them.”

Another problem Chrome OS faces is its reliance on always-on web connectivity, which might be possible in large cities, with good mobile phone network coverage and plenty of Wi—Fi hotspots, but in rural areas, or on a flight, Chrome will be hobbled.

Google has also released the code to the operating system in the hope that developers would build new products, services and applications, in much the same way as they build apps for the iPhone, or Google’s mobile phone operating system, Android.