• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Tan Jee Say Must Be Handed A Strategic Victory

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
After prolonged analysis and discussions with friends and family, I have decided, along with most of them, to switch my vote from TCB to TJS.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a strong supporter of opposition, but when come to this election, I really have no choice but vote for TCB because I dont want TT to be elected as president as he is and will always will be a proxy of PAP. Worst is that I dont think TT can be independent because just 3 months ago he was still seating in GIC office.

Why TCB? He is the most complete candidate among the 4, he knows the system of the government which will make it easier for him to instill changes (as former MP), he is a approachable down to earth man who have help many poor Singaporeans in the past 30+ years as a family doctor, he has proven to himself that he will put the nation before his party (NMP case), he is contesting against a PAP candidate, and he is a good enough role model for our children.

Bro, TCB is a good man with a good heart. In fact, I know him personally as a friend. He was a personal friend and doctor to my father who would (unreasonably?) insist that he be seen by him (when he was still alive) even when he was in hospital. The doctor-patient relationship has developed into close and personal bonds of friendship.

TCB is the closest to the well-loved Wee Kim Wee "model" and would make an excellent and well-loved ceremonial President. So it pains me to say this but at this stage of the game, I can't see anyway that TCB can win. Sadly, he would not be able to muster enough from either end of the spectrum to cross the line. So all the votes that go to TCB are effectively "wasted" and a vote for TCB effectively becomes a vote for Tony Tan.

It is your vote and your right. But I would urge you to think about it and capitalise on this strategic opportunity to change the course of our nation's political future, our country's fortunes and Singapore's destiny.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear PT

The fact that TCB is a decent man at heart is enough reason to consider him seriously for a vote. However at the end of the day my consideration is that even though I am looking to cast a protest vote is the person I am voting for a president for all or a president for pap supporters or opposition supporters alone ? Am I looking and asking for permanent political conflict between the President and the government, or am I looking for disagreements even if they exists to be managed in an agreeable manner for the sake of Singapore ? Am I looking for moral authority to be exercised in the manner of the office of the institution or in the manner of a rabid opposition ? Whilst I have hope that tcb can do more, I can't see tjs being diplomatic n working with the gov even as they disagree

Locke

Bro, TCB is a good man with a good heart. In fact, I know him personally as a friend. He was a personal friend and doctor to my father who would (unreasonably?) insist that he be seen by him (when he was still alive) even when he was in hospital. The doctor-patient relationship has developed into close and personal bonds of friendship.

TCB is the closest to the well-loved Wee Kim Wee "model" and would make an excellent and well-loved ceremonial President. So it pains me to say this but at this stage of the game, I can't see anyway that TCB can win. Sadly, he would not be able to muster enough from either end of the spectrum to cross the line. So all the votes that go to TCB are effectively "wasted" and a vote for TCB effectively becomes a vote for Tony Tan.

It is your vote and your right. But I would urge you to think about it and capitalise on this strategic opportunity to change the course of our nation's political future, our country's fortunes and Singapore's destiny.

jeesus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Much have been said about whether TJS can work with the government. The question is whether the ruling party is willing to work amicably with TJS. Both LHL and TJS have given their words on this matter - they would. LHL reassured the electorate that he will work with the elected president, whoever it is.

Remember that the president will not be working with the government everyday. His role is not executive.

It is also worthwhile to consider that even within the PAP itself, there are diverse views. If PAP wants to improve its approval ratings next GE, it may even be to its advantage actually, if TJS is elected President (who, again, has very limited executive powers).

Installing TJS as the president will also has a positive effect on parliament - PAP MPs will be more willing to speak up, because they know the president will be another layer of check and balances - PAP can no longer use party whip frivolously, because they know TJS will step in to challenge them.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear PT

The fact that TCB is a decent man at heart is enough reason to consider him seriously for a vote. However at the end of the day my consideration is that even though I am looking to cast a protest vote is the person I am voting for a president for all or a president for pap supporters or opposition supporters alone ? Am I looking and asking for permanent political conflict between the President and the government, or am I looking for disagreements even if they exists to be managed in an agreeable manner for the sake of Singapore ? Am I looking for moral authority to be exercised in the manner of the office of the institution or in the manner of a rabid opposition ? Whilst I have hope that tcb can do more, I can't see tjs being diplomatic n working with the gov even as they disagree

Locke

We should look at a time frame beyond the tenure of a TJS' or TCB's (assuming if either wins) 6-year Presidency. What is the value of a TCB's Presidency to the cause of the opposition in the next 5, 10 to 15 years? And what is the value of a TJS' Presidency to the cause of the opposition in that same 5, 10 to 15 years?

I've chosen this 15 year time frame as I believe a TJS' Presidency will, as kingrant describes it, result in that important crossing of the Rubicon.

The opportunities and momentous changes which a TJS Presidency will unleash can and will, if managed carefully and strategically, culminate in a Government formed by a coalition of opposition parties. A Government formed by a coalition of opposition parties will cement forever, a permanent two major-party system in Singapore. I believe this is achievable in 15 years with a TJS Presidency.

You and I and everyone else know the reality. And that reality is that there is no way a single opposition, WP, RP, NSP, SDP, PP, etc can achieve this on their own.

It's better to set aside the personal, political, ideological differences, petty envies, silly quarrels and inconsequential one-upmanship amongst the various opposition parties and build on what they have in common, i.e their opposition to the PAP. Let us all not lose sight of and let us all focus on the long term-objective and consider how the first step to that long term objective can be achieved as soon as tomorrow.

If we don't seize this golden opportunity tomorrow, it will be gone forever. The PE in its current form, will not remain after this PE.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
FUCK YOU kingrant,

PAP DOG... Tony Tan thank you

i agree with PT. We are about to cross the Rubicon, and TJS is the man to deliver us there. All the others to me disqualified themselves for having been associated with the PAP. At first, I thot TCB was a silver lining, but as time went, he too showed that he could not shake off that estab wiring in him.

I dont care if the PE has become a GE. All i want is for what has been breached at the Ge2011 to continue. If it has become a GE, it is the PAP's fault.

The EP is a PAP construct. It is beginning to self-destruct.

With TJS as EP, we will get to see how the PAP will resolve this 'thorn'. That is why I asked "How do you remove a rogue President (rogue as seen by the PAP)?"

If TT is elected, the govt will surely tweak and tinker with the Constitution again to consolidate its gains and remove any remote possibility of a EP that can challenge its power centre. Would the PAP be desperate enough to stuff the ballot boxes to ensure a TT win? Now we realise the true value of these serial numbers on yr voting slips.

I say again, vote TJS to hold ground till the next GE. No other can do this well enough.