• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why so mean with them? They are not causing disturbance and earn money thru hardwork

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
20120430.183316_barber_np.jpg

The New Paper
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
Hair one minute, gone the next.

Foreign workers who had set up their own makeshift barber stalls under the Bartley Road East viaduct scrambled for cover when the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) raided the area on Sunday.

An MOM spokesman said two Bangladeshi and two Indian nationals were arrested for breaching Work Permit conditions.

The New Paper visited the area after receiving complaints from shops at the nearby Kaki Bukit Avenue 3 industrial area.

One reader who called the TNP hotline said the makeshift stalls were stealing business from legitimate barbers nearby and were also leaving a mess.

National Environment Agency (NEA) officers were on the scene at 11.40am conducting enforcement checks.

The NEA team spotted six foreign workers conducting their business, and rounded them up. Two escaped.

The four caught were issued summons for offences under the Environmental Public Health (Public Cleansing) Regulations.

Offenders can be fined up to $1,000.

The same foreign workers then had a double whammy when MOM officers arrived in a convoy of two vans and a car.

The workers were lined up along the pavement - they were issued summons by the NEA, then handcuffed and arrested by MOM.

The MOM spokesman said that foreign workers should only work for the employer specified in their work permit.

They should not be self-employed or moonlight.

Those caught doing so will face a fine not exceeding $15,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or both.

The makeshift stalls were located under a viaduct, on the road divider along Kaki Bukit Avenue 3.

Each of the illegal barber stalls was a simple set-up consisting of just a stool on a canvas mat, weighed down by stones at the four corners.

They were all well-equipped with battery-operated shavers, mirrors, spray bottles, bottles of shaving foam and hair gel.

The haircuts are said to have cost $4 per worker.

TNP understands the arrested men were from the foreign workers dormitory across the road.

The four men were handcuffed, and taken away to collect their belongings from their stalls, before being put in a van and driven off.
One of the Bangladeshi workers arrested said he did it to earn some extra money.

"My company no good. The money they give me not enough," he said, his eyes welling up with tears.

"I need to earn more money to send back to my family," the worker, who is not married, said.

The workers said they cut hair every Sunday to make extra money.

Mr Niyas Synul Abdeen, operator of Cut Hare barber shop at the nearby Kaki Bukit Recreation Centre, said: "They are taking a huge cut of my business."

He had been operating for two months now, and had accepted that business would be slow initially. That was until he noticed the illegal stalls two weeks ago.

His shop charges $6 a haircut, which is below the market price of $10, said Mr Niyas. Yet he got only 10 customers a day.

On a bad day, there might even be none at all, he said.

"They leave the dormitory, and before they can even come over, they see the illegal barbers and go to them for a haircut instead," said Mr Niyas.

"I need to pay my rent, which costs $3,500 each month. Then, there are my barbers' salaries." NEA said it will take enforcement action against anyone operating a barber business in an unauthorised area.

"Barbers are to conduct their businesses within shop premises, and not in other areas such as public land or under a flyover," said the spokesman.

An MOM spokesman told TNP: "MOM has been enforcing against such illegal practices by foreign workers, and warns those who have been moonlighting to stop doing so immediately."

Anyone with information on foreign workers moonlighting should call 6438-5122 or e-mail [email protected] to report the matter.

"I need to earn more money to send back to my family,"

- One of the arrested Bangladeshi workers on why he offered haircuts

[email protected]

This article was first published in The New Paper.

keling is shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why so mean with them? They are not causing disturbance and earn money thru hardw

ron ron today you forgot to take medicine? why you speak against MOM/NEA/PAP?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why so mean with them? They are not causing disturbance and earn money thru hardw

Mr Niyas Synul Abdeen, operator of Cut Hare barber shop at the nearby Kaki Bukit Recreation Centre, said: "They are taking a huge cut of my business."

Guess who's the pow tow kia?

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal

ron ron today you forgot to take medicine? why you speak against MOM/NEA/PAP?

MOM/NEA/PAP had no choice but to act when received complaint from anti FT sinkies, if they take no actions there will be hundreds of anti PAP thread by TR and TOC.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Will you say they are mean if the barber is a local?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After this the Ah Neh near by the dormitory will hate that barber shop.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

because singapore follow the european model call order. Not the african version of chaos, where there are no rules and do what they like, build what they like.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

because singapore follow the european model call order. Not the african version of chaos, where there are no rules and do what they like, build what they like.

Cut 'hare' must be charging $10 per head, for they have to rent the premises from the dormitory operator. The enterprising Indian workers, hair cutters, under cut prices. Isn't this a free economy is about? , or we study in economics, demand & supply, oh! I forgot, we don't have a free economy, for the Monopplist & Oligopolist are FREE to dictate prices!!

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal

NEA bully the poor guy charging $4 a hair cut

They should spend their time catching smokers and litterbugs - one time fine $150 to $500, second time got free CWO labour

One day one NEA officer catch ten enough, say average $200, got $2,000 revenue liao per officer daily

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They should spend their time catching smokers and litterbugs - one time fine $150 to $500, second time got free CWO labour

One day one NEA officer catch ten enough, say average $200, got $2,000 revenue liao per officer daily

S$4 = Indian Rupees 171 or 260 Takas, a small profit for these workers, why are the Migrant workers whatever silent on this??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why so mean with them? They are not causing disturbance and earn money thru hardw ...
wen dey din gif protection moni 2 ah loon, wat u xpect? ... :rolleyes:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

hahaha....for a restaurant owner, u are more kuku than kukubird...
will u kpkb if i set up a stall to sell food for $2 per packet at your doorstep...
will u still say that NEA bully the poor guy charging $2???
hahaha....be consistent and think deeper...lol.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the china workers used to do it in geylang area and it was even shown on tv yet somehow i feel more ppl sympatheize with the banagala cos he's a bangala.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal

Think deeper leow..........because the landlords wants more from rentals and more from frying properties.:confused:

hahaha....for a restaurant owner, u are more kuku than kukubird...
will u kpkb if i set up a stall to sell food for $2 per packet at your doorstep...
will u still say that NEA bully the poor guy charging $2???
hahaha....be consistent and think deeper...lol.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

nea shud spend mor time checking fud operators employing prcz who r notorious in fud preparation ...

tonychatisaballslessshit

Alfrescian
Loyal

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Fuck you understand. It is illegal operating without a license and violating MOM's law. No different from hawking without a license. If it was a local your thread will be something like "sinkie deserve it" right? Oh try zapping me if you got balls and you will lose more points.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

Think deeper leow..........because the landlords wants more from rentals and more from frying properties.:confused:
hahaha...guess u are not a landlord...
yes,,,many businesses were killed by greedy landlords fanned by greedier agents.
but the point about illegal hawking remains.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal

High rental affects competitiveness lor:(

Also, property value increase = high rent = high rental income, but also cause inflation, LPPL:o

If illegal hawking is so serious, better check all work sites also.

hahaha...guess u are not a landlord...
yes,,,many businesses were killed by greedy landlords fanned by greedier agents.
but the point about illegal hawking remains.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$150 fine your head lah.. 1st time offender will kena $300 fine.. I know because I kena fined $300 by a fucktard bastard Cisco NEA Cheebye Kia for throwing a cigg butt 2 years back at Changi Village carpark..That was my first offence ever.. Fuck all these NEA bastards.. I also don't pity these bloody Banglas for being arrested for setting up the makeshift barber stalls.. They deserved it..