• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Singapore coldest during northern winter?

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know all along Singapore's weather is coldest during Dec/Jan (northern winter) Chinese new year's period. I suddenly realize I don't know why. Does anyone have the explanation?

The seasons are due to the earth's axis being tilted from the earth's orbital plane around the sun by about 23.5°. About 22 June, the northern hemisphere is tilted most towards the sun and has longer daylight. This longer heating period per day is the cause of a general hotter daily temperature during summer. But the summer solstice is about 21 Dec in the southern hemisphere, so Australia now is summer and has hotter daily temperature.

Then because the earth's orbit around the sun is an ellipse (oval shape), the perihelion (the earth's closest distance from the sun) is about on 1 Jan; the aphelion (the furthest from the sun) is on 1 July. The distance variation is about 3%. I expect southern summer to be hotter than norther summer. Is it true? I am not sure.

If a location is exactly at the equator, I expect summer or winter seasons would not have any daily temperature difference if not for other causes.

Then why Singapore is coldest during northern winter (Dec/Jan) and not during southern winter (Jun/Jul). The coordinate of Singapore is 1.35N 103.8E. I expect a 1.35° north of the equator to be a very slight amount and cannot make our "northern" summer hot and winter coldest. I believe there may be other causes like wind directions blowing from hotter or colder hemisphere. Also, south of Singapore is more ocean, north more of land mass.

Any geography experts here in Singapore?

Chan Rasjid.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The recent cool temperatures in Singapore have nothing to do with tilt of the earth's axis as the Island is far too near the equator for that to have any effect whatsoever.

It has everything to do with the fact that a cold air mass from the Northern Hemisphere winter has been sucked down to the equator where Singapore is located.

If you want to see a live view of the prevailing wind conditions go to

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-253.79,17.75,1082

A few days ago the air was being sucked down from way up North. The patterns are forever changing and the current pattern shows the air mass originating from where Taiwan is located.

The reason why Singapore is always at its coolest during the Northern Winter period is because that is when the prevailing wind is NE hence the name (North East Monsoon season)

It is exactly the same situation in NZ which is also a relatively small Island. It is currently summer here and the wind is NE so warm tropical, humid air is being blown across most of the North Island. Because of this daytime temperatures are in the mid 20s.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-189.27,-42.77,1082

In a few days time it is forecast that the wind will switch to SW and cold arctic air will envelop the country. Temperatures will then drop by at least 5 degrees to the high teens.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sam's spot on, aligns with local weatherman's info and forecast last week. Need not be more onerous reasoning o_O

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks Sam, the link is very informative.

I didn't know any of this before I left Singapore. However when I moved South to the lucky country I started to wonder why summer temperatures in cities like Sydney and Melbourne could be 45 degC one day and 22 degC the next.

It was explained to me that the temperature depended upon which way the wind was blowing. When the air mass came from the outback desert it was scorching but when it originated from the antarctic it was cold. All it took was a switch in the prevailing wind conditions for the temperatures to plunge 20 degC within a few hours.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
A true blue angmoh makeover now. Knows the weather well and angmoh history glorifying angmoh criminal past.

Clap clap...

The recent cool temperatures in Singapore have nothing to do with tilt of the earth's axis as the Island is far too near the equator for that to have any effect whatsoever.

It has everything to do with the fact that a cold air mass from the Northern Hemisphere winter has been sucked down to the equator where Singapore is located.

If you want to see a live view of the prevailing wind conditions go to

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-253.79,17.75,1082

A few days ago the air was being sucked down from way up North. The patterns are forever changing and the current pattern shows the air mass originating from where Taiwan is located.

The reason why Singapore is always at its coolest during the Northern Winter period is because that is when the prevailing wind is NE hence the name (North East Monsoon season)

It is exactly the same situation in NZ which is also a relatively small Island. It is currently summer here and the wind is NE so warm tropical, humid air is being blown across most of the North Island. Because of this daytime temperatures are in the mid 20s.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-189.27,-42.77,1082

In a few days time it is forecast that the wind will switch to SW and cold arctic air will envelop the country. Temperatures will then drop by at least 5 degrees to the high teens.

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't know any of this before I left Singapore. However when I moved South to the lucky country I started to wonder why summer temperatures in cities like Sydney and Melbourne could be 45 degC one day and 22 degC the next.

It was explained to me that the temperature depended upon which way the wind was blowing. When the air mass came from the outback desert it was scorching but when it originated from the antarctic it was cold. All it took was a switch in the prevailing wind conditions for the temperatures to plunge 20 degC within a few hours.
Great! As I suspect only now! That our weather is not much affected by the tilt of the earth's axis. But much away from the equator, the four seasons should give pronounced temperature variations according to the seasons.

By the way, if your have emigrated to New Zealand, it is the smartest move on planet earth. It is the only place on earth that I expect to be free of environmental pollution. Population about Singapore but land so much bigger.

If only they grow durians !

Chan Rasjid.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Great! As I suspect only now! That our weather is not much affected by the tilt of the earth's axis. But much away from the equator, the four seasons should give pronounced temperature variations according to the seasons.

By the way, if your have emigrated to New Zealand, it is the smartest move on planet earth. It is the only place on earth that I expect to be free of environmental pollution. Population about Singapore but land so much bigger.

If only they grow durians !

Chan Rasjid.

There is a different sort of pollution in NZ. It comes from the cows. Their poo and fart is causing all sorts of problems.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get the indians in to be your neighbours. They are good at building house from cowdung.

Nothing gies to waste.

Cowdung brick 10 cents per brick only.

There is a different sort of pollution in NZ. It comes from the cows. Their poo and fart is causing all sorts of problems.