• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why PAP don't sue New York Times for Libel? Cowardice?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
YOG was Singapore's first attempt at running such a large and complex event. It is very difficult to budget for something when you don't have an in-depth knowledge of all the intricacies.

I have made many budgeting errors in new ventures simply because issues cropped up that I did not even know existed. However, the next time round, I was pretty much on the money.

The government isn't infallible. However, as is the case with most things in life, you have to look at the broad picture. The Singapore government gets it right far more often than it gets things wrong.

Even the legendary Steve Jobs made big mistakes along the way... Next computers, the cube, the puck mouse, Liza come to mind. However, that didn't stop him from going on to produce great products that changed the world.

The Singapore government is no different. They have their share of duds but boy have they succeeded in a spectacular manner in making Singapore one of the best countries on earth.

Pls loh, Apple is private company, they can burn 100 bills to generate heat for all I care, they answer to their shareholders.

YOG ain't the first major international event earlier we had the WTO we hosted before SEA games, experiences like these gone down drains or bottled w relevant experts which Vivian chose not to tap on during planning stage ?

Ministers are paid highest on this planet n yet they cannot do simple arithmetic ? If have no confidence then don't act smart volunteer to host, many Chinese cities like to act smart these days let them do it.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Pls loh, Apple is private company, they can burn 100 bills to generate heat for all I care, they answer to their shareholders.

YOG ain't the first major international event earlier we had the WTO we hosted before SEA games, experiences like these gone down drains or bottled w relevant experts which Vivian chose not to tap on during planning stage ?

Ministers are paid highest on this planet n yet they cannot do simple arithmetic ? If have no confidence then don't act smart volunteer to host, many Chinese cities like to act smart these days let them do it.

You can't compare YOG and the SEA games. It's chalk and cheese. One is a world class event. The other is just a few small countries in Asia.

Budgeting is far more than simple arithmetic. Spread sheets take care of the arithmetic.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Even Egypt banned Al Jazeera together with the Muslim Brotherhood. But of course you know better than the brave Egyptians.

Look at the mess Egypt is in now after they disposed of their strong and decisive leadership.

Jar Jar Binks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Why are u guys talking about overthrowing Governments? :eek:

What i seek and want

Press freedom.

Alternative media. Not state controlled ones with propaganda.

No to censorship and blockage.

And don't tell adults like me which websites i should surf or not to because the more they try to do so, the more defiant i will be and i always get things going my way.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New York Times is owned by the Zionist Jews.......one of their most important propaganda machines for decades.......

you think Pinky got guts ?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
YOG was Singapore's first attempt at running such a large and complex event. It is very difficult to budget for something when you don't have an in-depth knowledge of all the intricacies.

I have made many budgeting errors in new ventures simply because issues cropped up that I did not even know existed. However, the next time round, I was pretty much on the money.

The government isn't infallible. However, as is the case with most things in life, you have to look at the broad picture. The Singapore government gets it right far more often than it gets things wrong.

Even the legendary Steve Jobs made big mistakes along the way... Next computers, the cube, the puck mouse, Liza come to mind. However, that didn't stop him from going on to produce great products that changed the world.

The Singapore government is no different. They have their share of duds but boy have they succeeded in a spectacular manner in making Singapore one of the best countries on earth.

Christ, u are really dense and stupid. stop shooting yourself in the foot. On one hand, u admit singapore does not have the "in-depth" expertise to run this event, than they should not have bid on it. Vivian went over budget to the tune of $600 million spend on it. If you spend $600 million on elderly and needy singaporeans, you can provide free healthcare for the them for a couple of years. Steve JObs made mistakes along the way, but he played with his own money. Any losses were his own money. Vivian and PAP playing with our money. Is this too complicated for u to comprehend?

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal
To waste hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees simply isn't worth it. The money comes from the taxpayer and the PAP is very prudent when it comes to spending from the public coffers.

PAP knew they will lose and was afraid of the wrath from the people rather than the wastage.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP knew they will lose and was afraid of the wrath from the people rather than the wastage.

Only one place PAP will win.
That will be in Stinkapore with the fucking corrupt kangaroos smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY packed into the Ag , the Supreme and High courts of Stinkapore to give LKY the laws and judgements that are wanted by LKY.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Christ, u are really dense and stupid. stop shooting yourself in the foot. On one hand, u admit singapore does not have the "in-depth" expertise to run this event, than they should not have bid on it. Vivian went over budget to the tune of $600 million spend on it. If you spend $600 million on elderly and needy singaporeans, you can provide free healthcare for the them for a couple of years. Steve JObs made mistakes along the way, but he played with his own money. Any losses were his own money. Vivian and PAP playing with our money. Is this too complicated for u to comprehend?

The only way to gain experience in anything is to give it a go. Now that Singapore has mastered the running of a world wide sports event, it will be able to bid for the Olympics or the World cup one day and the budgeting will be very accurate because of the lessons learned with YOG.

You cannot view YOG as a one off venture that lost money. $600 million may sound like a lot of money but in reality it is a drop in the ocean should Singapore succeed in hosting the Olympics in the not too distant future. This would enable to country to recoup its investment many times over. This is what I admire so much about the PAP. They plan for the long term and never lose their focus.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
and also because PAP has no control over the courts there.

In a neutral and unbiased legal system, Singapore would definitely win this case as we all know that the govt is a very prudent manager of the finances under its charge.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The YOG fiasco is a good example of the PAP MPs being incompetent.
Can you tell me which other company pays millions for people who are clueless about budgeting:confused: If I remember they were over budgeted by about 300% to 400%.

What I remember about YOG were it's failures e.g. worms found in the athletes food, school children being forced to stand in the rain,... It was a big fail for the PAP. On hindsight it was the warning of things going wrong in Spore e.g. dengue problems, ponding, MRT break downs, ....

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a neutral and unbiased legal system, Singapore would definitely win this case as we all know that the govt is a very prudent manager of the finances under its charge.

Putting aside the question of who (if any) has the locus standi to sue in this matter, assuming that person is a public figure, then he/she faces insurmountable obstacles under US law, which is protective of free speech, and that is the way it should be in a democracy:

New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964), was a United States Supreme Court case that established the actual malice standard, which has to be met before press reports about public officials can be considered to be defamation and libel; and hence allowed free reporting of the civil rights campaigns in the southern United States. It is one of the key decisions supporting the freedom of the press. The actual malice standard requires that the plaintiff in a defamation or libel case prove that the publisher of the statement in question knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity. Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty of proving the defendant's knowledge and intentions, such cases—when they involve public figures—rarely prevail.

Before this decision, there were nearly US $300 million in libel actions outstanding against news organizations from the Southern states, and it had caused many publications to exercise great caution when reporting on civil rights, for fear that they might be held accountable for libel. After The New York Times prevailed in this case, news organizations were free to report the widespread disorder and civil rights infringements. The Times maintained that the case against it was brought to intimidate news organizations and prevent them from reporting illegal actions of public employees in the South as they attempted to continue to support segregation.

For more see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Co._v._Sullivan