• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why not make MRT trains longer ?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... the wait intervals are relatively short compared to new york, tokyo, hong kong and london. ...
ah albert (einstein) said ... "Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." ...

u muz b having a sexy, syt in front of u while u were waiting 4 mrt in sg ...

:p

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i spent a couple of weeks in sg observing the mrt frequencies, did some math, and noticed that the wait intervals are relatively short compared to new york, tokyo, hong kong and london. arrival frequency is dependent on trains clearing and coming into critical junctures or transfer points. the lack of transfer points and routes in sg's system does not offer better solutions by increasing frequencies of each line.

new york , train are bigger so intervals are longer.
singapore train are smaller, so intervals have to be shorter.
singapore interval seem to get longer

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, shocked to find out that there are people so blur. Frog in the well comes to mind. And these trains have been running for donkey years.

There are more frog in well here who like to pretend otherwise just so they can condemn SG. Why they find the need to do that I have no idea. There's another one here who actually claimed that European rapid transit are better then the MRT. I bet he either went to the wrong Europe or he used a very different standard when comparing the local MRT to Europe Metro.

KennyMGM

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 more car units in front means 8 exit doors missing (same as the back)

to achieve 70% capacity increase, means on average, the first door will need to take up to 9x the normal load ie 9x the normal time for people to board/alight (same as the back)

if the normal time is 10-15 sec, that means averaging around 1.5 - 2 minutes of waiting at the station.... probably around 1 min if people are fast...

without the extra car units, the next train should be arriving... :biggrin:

Some Amtrack trains are 2 KM long..ofcourse they are goods trains.
More productive to use longer trains.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL, good one. One interesting comment by a westerner that I met told me that Singaporeans tell him about their MRT as though it is the only other one after London Tube.

QUOTE=Char_Azn;358849]I bet he either went to the wrong Europe .[/QUOTE]

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think most bros here fail to see the real issue. The MRT trains and stations are actually well maintained and modern compared to most metros. It's the number of passengers overloading the trains that's the problem.... and this is caused by the PAP's foolish population policy.

If you remember, when the MRT first started to the mid-90s, the trains were comfortable to ride in. It's like taking a monorail in an amusement park, where you have a seat and enjoy the scenery.

Vote out the PAP scums and drive out the foreign thrash!! :oIo:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think you even the read the postings in the thread. They all seem to be addressing the issue by suggesting longer, trains, double decks except for 2 jokers who thought that the train photo was photoshop.

I am sure the comments about more carriages, double decks, more frequencies were meant to address overcrowding and nothing to do with space for playing volleyball.

By the way, most metros are also overcrowded. Try taking the Tube during peak. Japan has to employ gloved assiatnts to pack the sardines in. You can actually smell the armpit and spot the hair follicles of even the well shaven armpits.

The big issue is that Singapore's MRT is probably the world's most profitable. The penny should have dropped by now.

I think most bros here fail to see the real issue. The MRT trains and stations are actually well maintained and modern compared to most metros. It's the number of passengers overloading the trains that's the problem.... and this is caused by the PAP's foolish population policy.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you remember, when the MRT first started to the mid-90s, the trains were comfortable to ride in. It's like taking a monorail in an amusement park, where you have a seat and enjoy the scenery.

Vote out the PAP scums and drive out the foreign thrash!! :oIo:

Japan would be the most extreme example, it's usually packed so full that they have professional pple pushing you into the train.

Other countries I've seem which are just as packed includes just about all the European countries I mentioned earlier

Europe trains not as bad as SG? U must have been to a different city as me. So far I've used the public transport in London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Brussels Amsterdam, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Prague and Budapest.

with the exception of Maybe London and Paris during non peak hours, most asian countries also have with really packed trains with the exception of Kaohsiung MRT coz everyone and their dog owns a scooter and Bangkok.

However I agree with you that this is no excuse for us being packed in trains. I think the problem here is that the population is growing a lot faster then the MRT can build new lines. I noticed that places with fewer lines serving the major city tend to have more crowded trains.

London is a good example of not so crowded trains. The interior design of the London Tube Suxs. Its smaller then most other repid transit I've been on and the space is not very well utilized however its not very pack, not becoz there are not a lot of passenger, you can see a lot of them in the stations. The reason I think is mainly due to the fact that they have stations everywhere and so many lines running around the city that trying to figure which line to take is like trying to figure out rocket science. Once more new MRT lines emerges, I think that will solve part of the problem.

Map to London Underground

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
The train should be able to take 2 more carriages without extra power but without doors...how long does the train have to stop..it's already quite difficult to get off a crowded train with so many doors...there will be a stampede if u were to add two carriages without doors...

the double decker train seems more feasible...but as usual...fare hikes will come along...

everything is built with 3 millions ppl in mind...but we have 5 millions using them instead...

They should have peak hours only express buses gng to town to ease the load...then again..why would they bother...

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Make all the 5 door/car from current 4 door/car most city in the world have 5 door to make it easy for laoding/unloading passenger but have to take away 30% seat.
Since most underground have safety door that mean have to realign all the door with new MRT with 5 door mean adding more cost.
So my suggestion is make all the MRT running in circle line to have 5 door.

Z

Zombie

That is why, many train operators, prefer LONGER trains than MORE trains.

How about using 12 car units?
First 6 car units as Section A and last 6 car units as Section B.
The train will first stop for Section A to board/alight, then move a short distance for Section B to boad/alight, before heading to next station.

:biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about using 12 car units?
First 6 car units as Section A and last 6 car units as Section B.
The train will first stop for Section A to board/alight, then move a short distance for Section B to boad/alight, before heading to next station.

:biggrin:

This will delay trip time by double. DO you want this to happen?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the pic is playing tricks with your eyes. how? because the chap standing at the door is nearer to your eyes while the chap sitting down is further in. this is a well known depth (mis)perception on picture stills or photographs with the phenomenon called "perspective". there's about 3 yards of depth in that train. an untrained eye will think the person in front is always bigger than the person at the rear in a 2-dimensional pic. that's because you're not thinking in perspective. seeing is not complete without the thinking. you need to train your mind to see too, not just the eyes.

Dun talk crap with me, i'm a part time photographer, i know the shot was not taken at right angle, the photographer pans his camera to his left side, therefore you can see the ending of perspective is to the left (look at the top and bottom lines of the train). Therefore the right side composition should be bigger than the left.

Even if he use wide angle, the distortions should be bigger on the left than the right (which means left should be smaller, not bigger) becox his right angle is nearer than his left.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyway, talk about MRT, it's time to build another transportation system already. MRT is 22 years already , 2nd oldest metro system in SE Asia.

No point upgrading really, waste money :p:p:p:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
photoshop pic lah.. the man standing at the door is much bigger than those sitting..

also if u see carefully, the floor level for the man standing and the man sitting does not tally..:biggrin:

---->you too!