• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

22 hrs·

One of the values that many pick up when they live abroad—myself included—is the importance of independence. And a very important contributor to independence is the ability to cook for oneself. As it turns out, I also enjoyed the process. By focusing on the best way to slice and dice, paying attention to heat and what it does to different foods, and understand how disparate ingredients come together, I was able to exercise another side of my brain, after it had become exhausted by a long day of staring at equations, proofs, and data.
Cooking for ourselves also affords us the ability to taste different cultures, without necessarily breaking the bank. I am able to enjoy a little bit of Spain when I decide to cook paella for the family, as I did recently.
And this brings me to yet another reason why I enjoy cooking: I am able offer something to others that comes from my heart (this, I believe, is one of the explanations of the etymology of dimsum, or 点心). This is something we can all do, even as we are largely confined at home for the moment: to reflect on the importance of family and friends (we invited my childhood best friend and his wife over)

1623584193568.png

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

22 hrs·

One of the values that many pick up when they live abroad—myself included—is the importance of independence. And a very important contributor to independence is the ability to cook for oneself. As it turns out, I also enjoyed the process. By focusing on the best way to slice and dice, paying attention to heat and what it does to different foods, and understand how disparate ingredients come together, I was able to exercise another side of my brain, after it had become exhausted by a long day of staring at equations, proofs, and data.
Cooking for ourselves also affords us the ability to taste different cultures, without necessarily breaking the bank. I am able to enjoy a little bit of Spain when I decide to cook paella for the family, as I did recently.
And this brings me to yet another reason why I enjoy cooking: I am able offer something to others that comes from my heart (this, I believe, is one of the explanations of the etymology of dimsum, or 点心). This is something we can all do, even as we are largely confined at home for the moment: to reflect on the importance of family and friends (we invited my childhood best friend and his wife over)

View attachment 113548

This paella looks delicious. :thumbsup:

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jamus is quite a shrewd politician also, looking forward to his battles with the pappies in the future. :wink:

They are not used to dealing with someone as articulate and thoughtful, yet at the same time even-tempered, as Jamus.

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

11 hrs·

I made a lot of good friends in my three or so years in Abu Dhabi, and one of those groups was KampongSG, a coterie of Singaporean expatriates who bonded over our shared love for prata, teh tarik, and stories of Singapore.
One of the activities we tested ourselves with was to participate in the city’s annual dragon boat race. None of us were boaters (or “diggers,” like our coach liked to call it). Like the nation we represented, we were a multiethnic, multicultural team. We trained on a number of (ridiculously hot) Arabian summer weekends, and ultimately did well enough to qualify for one of the finals. But most importantly, we formed friendships, proudly flew the Singapore flag, and kept the dragon boating tradition alive.
So this duanwujie (端午节), in addition to wrapping and eating bak chang, perhaps we can also recall the origin story of the festival: as a means to drive away disease and bad luck. This, surely, is welcome in these pandemic times.

1623665752321.png

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

35 mins·

Change is hard, and often wrenching, but sometimes necessary. In #Anchorvale, we recently made a difficult decision not to renew the services of the conservancy company that had been in place from when we took over the estate. The decision wasn’t straightforward. Like most humans, it’s easier to hang with the status quo, and with the pandemic raging, it would have been easier for us to stick with the incumbent, to minimize uncertainty.
But sometimes tough choices are needed. The feedback from residents was that the state of estate cleanliness was not as high as it used to be. There are many potential causes of this. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all the work-from-home meant a surge in trash generation, leading to more rubbish and higher workloads. Our selection for the new contract adhered to the usual practice of balancing price and quality. One particular concern we had, going forward, was the manpower-to-household ratio that was being offered, which we believe to be important for maintaining standards. Of course, it’s entirely possible for any given company to substitute capital for labor, but the equipment offered by the top bidding firms weren’t appreciably different.

The transition has, predictably, been disruptive, and cleaning was set back in the interim, as a new team had to come in, learn the ropes, and develop a routine. Their job had been further complicated by the islandwide labor shortage, which has afflicted other town councils, too. Over the past week and this one, I spent time with the new contractor’s director and our respective property officers, visiting different clusters, to discuss standards, point out issues, and highlight idiosyncrasies. I took what seemed to be an inordinate number of photos of estate issues (including hundreds and hundreds of trash bins), both to report for rectification, and to track progress.

There will undoubtedly be additional teething challenges in the months ahead. But things are, in my view, already on a better trajectory than before, although we admittedly still have some way to go. Our objective is for the change is not only to meet but exceed the quality that our residents have come to expect. In the meantime, we ask for some patience, but nevertheless encourage all residents to freely offer feedback about the new company, so that we might identify areas of concern, and how best to get to where we need to be. #TeamSengkang #SengkangGRC

1623756009525.png

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

Jamus Lim addresses littering concerns in Sengkang

1623836896665.png

Singapore — Workers’ Party (WP) Member of Parliament (MP) Jamus Lim has taken to Facebook to address littering concerns in Sengkang.

Assoc Prof Lim reveals that a decision was made recently “not to renew the services of the conservancy company” in Anchorvale.

One of the four Workers’ Party MPs representing Sengkang GRC, he looks after the Anchorvale ward.

Residents commented that the estate was no longer as clean as it used to be, he said.

So the “difficult decision” was made to change the contractor.

The drop in cleanliness can be attributed to several factors, according to Assoc Prof Lim.

The Covid-19 measures put in place forced the majority of the population to have to work from their homes, resulting in higher volumes of rubbish and heavier workloads for cleaners.

While sourcing for a new contractor, Sengkang GRC prioritised the balance of price and quality of manpower.

Sengkang GRC also kept in mind the manpower-to-household ratio that was being offered since they believed it was a key factor in maintaining hygiene standards. While it was possible for companies to replace labour with capital, there was not much difference in the equipment offered by the top bidding firms.

A new team had to come in, learn the ins and outs of the job, and develop a routine. Their job has become more difficult due to the islandwide labour shortage which other town councils experienced as well.

Throughout the week, Sengkang GRC worked together with the contractors to discuss standards and point out current issues.

- Advertisement -
There will definitely be challenges lying ahead, says Assoc Prof Lim. However, things are already improving, though there is much more room for improvement. Assoc Prof Lim also hopes that the change will not only meet but exceed the expectations of the residents.

At the end of his post, he encourages residents to be patient and urges them to offer feedback about the new company so Sengkang GRC and the company can work together to seek out areas of improvement.

Fellow Workers’ Party Member of Parliament He Ting Ru also recently spoke up about littering in Sengkang.

jw5

Loyal
from mustsharenews.com:

Jamus Lim Helps Resident Move Sofa, Proves He’s More Than Just A Viral Sweaty MP​

1623906365395.png

The sight of sweaty men might not be the most attractive visual for most people. But when Sengkang GRC MP Jamus Lim was spotted sweat-soaked during his estate walk, most people reacted rather positively.

On Wednesday (16 Jun), we get to see Prof Lim in action up close this time.

He met a resident trying to move a sofa into the lift by himself and decided to lend a helping hand.

MP Jamus Lim helps resident move huge sofa into lift​

Unlike his regular estate walks, Mr Lim was joined by fellow Sengkang GRC MP He Ting Ru on his Wednesday (16 Jun) visit.

Ms He said she was present to ensure that the transition between the incoming and outgoing cleaning contractors is going smoothly.

However, during the walk, the pair bumped into a resident trying to move a “heavy sofa” into the lift by himself.

Putting his strength to good use, Mr Lim decided to help his resident out. It must have been daunting for the resident to handle the mammoth task of moving heavy objects alone.

Sengkang Town Council changed conservancy company recently​

According to Prof Lim, Sengkang Town Council recently decided to renew their contract with a different conservancy company to step up maintenance efforts and ensure the estate’s cleanliness.

Being new to the job, the incoming company has had to learn the ropes and work out a routine.

As the transition was deemed disruptive, Prof Lim explained that cleaning was “set back” for the time being as a result.

In addition, the process had also been complicated by other factors like labour shortage.

MP says complaints are not representative of estate cleanliness​

In recent weeks, some netizens have made complaints on social media about alleged unsatisfactory cleanliness standards at the Sengkang estate.

1623906505910.png

Responding to these hygiene complaints, Mr Lim clarified that they are not representative of the overall cleanliness of the estat

He took the opportunity to share more pictures of the estate, presumably to give residents a better sense of the condition on the ground.

Kudos to MPs who go the extra mile​

After Jamus Lim had gone viral for being sweat-soaked, it’s great to see the Sengkang MP in action up close.

Hopefully, the resident could move the furniture easily with his help after that.

Separately, we hope the new conservancy company can resolve the remaining teething issues soon so residents can enjoy living in a clean estate.

jw5

Loyal
Wish Jamus and his family well.

Jamus and his family are very well, this can be seen in his latest FB post, a very touching Father's Day message. :smile:

Jamus Lim

40 mins·

In between changing poopy diapers and inexplicable meltdowns, it can be easy to forget how much of an honor and privilege it is to shape the life and values and future of a little one. To all fathers (and would-be fathers) out there: a very happy Father’s Day, and may the day bring joyful memories of all that it means to be a steward for the next generation.

1624159461848.png