• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do some local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is all about class. The local girls speak with a pseudo foreign accent to portray a certain class. ie. It is classy to speak with an accent as it is an indication that

• you are foreign educated
  • you are born foreign
  • you return from overseas
  • you have a better command of english
  • you are classier

Yeah but you have to behave "classier" in classy places, I just encountered a stupid local girl wearing oversized sunglasses at a Shell Pretrol station in Tampines HDB heartland, she walked into the service area and spoke in English with a pseudo accent to the local aunty asked for the keys to the "bathroom", I snidely remarked, that "there are no bathrooms here, only toilets", she must have had her ego deflated. Stupid girl.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Haha, just having some light hearted fun at the expense of these local gals. Why do they wanna sound like an ang-mo when everyone can tell their accent is fake one?

I have observed two main types:

1. She speaks to me in the ang-mo accent (i cant tell whether american, aussie or what) when we just met. But after half-hour or so of chit chatting, slowly slowly the accent is gone and she's back to normal. Maybe the act was too much of an effort to put up for me! hahaha

2. Another type will be talking with her local friends in our typical singlish, but as soon as an ang-mo approaches them, that silly accent will come back.

Haha Girls! Speak normally la. The ang-mos will be even more attracted to you, if thats what you wanted. Keke

All the better to suck ang moh dick with

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah but you have to behave "classier" in classy places, I just encountered a stupid local girl wearing oversized sunglasses at a Shell Pretrol station in Tampines HDB heartland, she walked into the service area and spoke in English with a pseudo accent to the local aunty asked for the keys to the "bathroom", I snidely remarked, that "there are no bathrooms here, only toilets", she must have had her ego deflated. Stupid girl.

hahaha. I guess it's about adapting to what the environment or sitaution calls for. some people like your stupid girl here obviously think a one-size-fits-all approach is the way. but having said that, in fairness, when angmohs go out of their home country, they do not bother to change their accents too. an american in london still speaks with his american accent, as does an englishman in new york!

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal

"Class" is an abstract thing. Cannot be bought one hehe. Even if one were to put on jewels and designer items and speak like fake ang mo also cannot fake the class factor. Either one has it or not at all. Now we know why the LV bags are selling so fast. :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha. I guess it's about adapting to what the environment or sitaution calls for. some people like your stupid girl here obviously think a one-size-fits-all approach is the way. but having said that, in fairness, when angmohs go out of their home country, they do not bother to change their accents too. an american in london still speaks with his american accent, as does an englishman in new york!

Actually most ppl wun bother to change. Like a jamaican won't change his accent when he is in london. In fact white ppl there might even want to speak like him. In fact only sinkees want to change their accents.

Yet for some it is cause of the teasing by ang mohs. Notice how they only tease those people namely chinese or asians who speak english. They dun bother to tease say an englishman and even if they do its not that offensive.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want to hear pleasant sounding English spoken by a Singaporean, listen to Chee Soon Juan.

=====

LKY is impress and may want to take english from CSC too.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..whether spoken with Ang Moh accent or not, bad English will always remain bad English. ...When speaking with Ang Mohs, just drop the Singlish.. they'll understand you perfectly. Faking an accent just proves to show you're a cultural desert with no pride in your race or nationality.
Good spoken english and accents (real or copy) are 2 different things. A put on accent irks everybody, and merely covers up one's inadequacies. Even risking tripping over, to impress kwei lohs.:p

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually most ppl wun bother to change. Like a jamaican won't change his accent when he is in london. In fact white ppl there might even want to speak like him. In fact only sinkees want to change their accents.

Yet for some it is cause of the teasing by ang mohs. Notice how they only tease those people namely chinese or asians who speak english. They dun bother to tease say an englishman and even if they do its not that offensive.

true, i've come across at least one ang moh who thinks singlish is a joke, and i don't blame him for thinking that way. but then again, americans do poke fun at the brits for their posh accents too, as do the aussies ('poms').

but hey i still feel english is best spoken by the english - they articulate their words well and do not rush through their speech. if there is any foreign accent worth imitating, it's those from the southern parts of england i suppose.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
true, i've come across at least one ang moh who thinks singlish is a joke, and i don't blame him for thinking that way. but then again, americans do poke fun at the brits for their posh accents too, as do the aussies ('poms').

but hey i still feel english is best spoken by the english - they articulate their words well and do not rush through their speech. if there is any foreign accent worth imitating, it's those from the southern parts of england i suppose.

I agree. I love the way real English people speak, especially those from England. Totally clear, crisp and concise.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It's called BBC English and it used to be ONLY accent that was allowed to be used by the State Broadcaster.:smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

Although the BBC has changed society, the society has also changed the BBC. The term BBC English (Received Pronunciation) refers to the former use of Standard English with this accent. However, the organisation now makes more use of regional accents in order to reflect the diversity of the UK, though clarity and fluency are still expected of presenters. From its 'starchy' beginnings, the BBC has also become more inclusive<sup class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</sup>, and now attempts to accommodate the interests of all strata of society and all minorities, because they all pay the licence fee.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have problems understanding the ministers' english too. When they spoke in parliament, everyone fell asleep.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who (blindly) go ga ga on english accent, then they haven't pricked their ears to cockney types and the likes. Also, tried figuring out the scousers (pool), scots, welsh or even irish (oops, sorry latter 2 are brits not engish per se)?

Outside the "beeb" (BBC), Tony Blair's crisp delivery is a good example. Ox/bridge or grammar school english?

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, just having some light hearted fun at the expense of these local gals. Why do they wanna sound like an ang-mo when everyone can tell their accent is fake one?

I have observed two main types:

1. She speaks to me in the ang-mo accent (i cant tell whether american, aussie or what) when we just met. But after half-hour or so of chit chatting, slowly slowly the accent is gone and she's back to normal. Maybe the act was too much of an effort to put up for me! hahaha

she trying to impress u bro!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes these girls just want to impress their boyfriends, family
But sooner than you can say fish (or sam?), their true blue linguistic skills come out in open. :p Why can't we just be ourselves? Can you imagine moans or groans (fake or real) with pseudo accents? That is not to say, we not brush up on our oral (err, language wise) proficiency:biggrin:

Last edited:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

Girls who want to wayang their accents should try it for real in real western countries, and not to Singaporeans in Singapore. I mean, c'mon, even I would give them the classic "eye roll" and snide remark if I was back home.

oculus

know of someone who speaks with a slang as if she got a gwai lo dick in her mouth. after 20 mins, back to normal but towards the end of the night, back to the slang.