• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Do Many Chinese Hawkers Still Tout?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup and all races engage in that type of behavior.

OK, I'd better put on my bullet-proof vest and get into my bomb shelter before saying this. In North America, Europe and Australia, nobody does that except pimps, hookers, charity solicitors and religious evangelists. Perhaps touting is an Asian culture, not restricted to Chinese. For that, I apologize. But if you refer back to my TS post again, me and my Singaporean Chinese friends were irritated by the PRC Chinese hawker touts. I also apologize for the title typed to quick missing something but there's no function to edit and correct it.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, I'd better put on my bullet-proof vest and get into my bomb shelter before saying this. In North America, Europe and Australia, nobody does that except pimps, hookers, charity solicitors and religious evangelists. Perhaps touting is an Asian culture, not restricted to Chinese. For that, I apologize. But if you refer back to my TS post again, me and my Singaporean Chinese friends were irritated by the PRC Chinese hawker touts. I also apologize for the title typed to quick missing something but there's no function to edit and correct it.

Look who even cares about what happens in other countries? Why don't you just migrate to those countries over there then. Then you can act like a superior white man. :rolleyes:

At least you admit it was your fault and want to recant your words. Still you acted rather hastily by grouping all chinese as touts all cos a few prc touts were irritating you.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
give the PRC hawker touts enough time here and they'll be slapped with numerous fines by the NEA. then the touting will stop.

try walking past the malay satay stalls at East Coast. i'll give you a $100 if none of the hawkers manning the satay stalls approach you.

Touting is simply an act of desperation by the hawkers. its just like advertising. if business is good, the boss wouldn't even have time to think of advertising/touting. so if they tout, it probably means business is bad...

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes there isn't a function to edit and correct it, but there is a function to double check and send it - Your brain.

Your recent shots at just about anything have been half cocked and as a result you get half assesed results defending what you say left right up down centre. Why don't you just clarify whether you have a thing against Chinese (PRC or not) or you don't. Be honest whether you are racist, you can be or you are not its not too hard. Staying in the grey zone won't get you painted white or black at the end of the day.

Try loading a .38 revolver with a 0.5 round and fire it off, lets see what kind of results you will get. This is what you are doing right now

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. I know better now and be on guard against this scam.

I was told by my friend who continues to tout at Newton that for them, they have arrangements made with the stallholder. The latter sells them whatever is ordered at normal price and the touts will up the price to the customers. Still quite lucrative for these touts but biz not as good as the past when Japs kena chooped head. Nowadays, some Japs go direct to the stall and look at the menu before ordering.

In the 1990s touts were involved in the sale of copy watches along Orchard Rd - Lucky Plaza and Orchard Plaza.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are touts of all races... Cheena, Ah nehs and malays.

But your Question... " Why do many Chinese Hawkers still tout"?
My reply would be, The Chinese population is the majority and so is businesses..So that is why you see it as alot.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wiki, I do understand that this forum is a mini-mirror image of Singapore, with Chinese in majority. For example, there're many mocking (yes, straightforth mocking without any cause except race) Indians and Malays here, that's alright and even heavily supported. Once I or anyone mention any not so nice about Chinese, the defenses go up and counter attacks come down hard. I'm an atheist who's against all religions. When I criticize Christian practises, it's alright. When I criticize Toaist or Buddhist practises, the defenses go up and counter attacks come down hard. I'm used to it and will live with it. :biggrin:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wiki, I do understand that this forum is a mini-mirror image of Singapore, with Chinese in majority. For example, there're many mocking (yes, straightforth mocking without any cause except race) Indians and Malays here, that's alright and even heavily supported. Once I or anyone mention any not so nice about Chinese, the defenses go up and counter attacks come down hard. I'm an atheist who's against all religions. When I criticize Christian practises, it's alright. When I criticize Toaist or Buddhist practises, the defenses go up and counter attacks come down hard. I'm used to it and will live with it. :biggrin:

You live with what you write and defend then, who am i to reprogramme your DNA anyways. Then again, there is no need to go all out against the world and its heathen religious practices. I am a buddhist btw

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You live with what you write and defend then, who am i to reprogramme your DNA anyways. Then again, there is no need to go all out against the world and its heathen religious practices. I am a buddhist btw

I have nothing against what anyone do at home, at temple, at church or at mosque. Notice my complaint about religious practice is always when it takes place in public space shared by all with or without any religion. If it happens to be Chinese, I'd have say to Chinese. I'm not against Chinese. I'm just against the inconsiderate practice.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone will stand up and defend himself or his community when it is insulted.. If Sg or this Forum had a majority of Indians/malays then the chinese will get a good one and there will be heavy racism towards the Chinese.. End of the day..Majority win in being the loudest... But is the Majority right? Not. Its just mob mentality.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just ignore touts. Ive never given in to them. Usually places that have good food dont need touts.

100% agree.
Those touting mean business no good. Why no good >> must be foods not to consumer taste. Most Ah Tiong foodstall really cannot make it. If those have the talent and skill no need come to Sinkie to set up stall.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
whats wrong with hawker touting ? banks held road show and touts legally on the street , christains tout legally on the street looking for victim to preach , telco company tout on the street for their so call package , charaity groups tout for donation on the street ......ect .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
dont be fool by the goverement ...theres always different law and rules for different class of people in singapore ..

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal

LOL form this I can say u have not travelled much. In US try NY and SF nearly every cafe I walk pass touts as for Euro try Italy and Greece and as for Aust yup thats the only country that I have not encountered touting.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
whats wrong with hawker touting ? banks held road show and touts legally on the street , christains tout legally on the street looking for victim to preach , telco company tout on the street for their so call package , charaity groups tout for donation on the street ......ect .

Yes, banks, insurance companies, Christians, phone companies are the worst. Even Buddhists are now getting into act.

When I was working in a bank, I was once asked to head the marketing unit for credit card roadshows. I declined. That soured my working relationship with my boss and I eventually resigned. Not just roadshows and street touting, but also over-the-counter teller touting. Once the teller sees someone has a balance of above $10k, she starts pushing investment products as instructed, if not she starts pushing insurance products as instructed.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, banks, insurance companies, Christians, phone companies are the worst. Even Buddhists are now getting into act.

When I was working in a bank, I was once asked to head the marketing unit for credit card roadshows. I declined. That soured my working relationship with my boss and I eventually resigned. Not just roadshows and street touting, but also over-the-counter teller touting. Once the teller sees someone has a balance of above $10k, she starts pushing investment products as instructed, if not she starts pushing insurance products as instructed.

Insurance and bank are the worst. They using telemarketing to tout. Every week sure have phone called for apply credit card/advance money from bank/insurance/fund..................knn. I really want to sue them. Is out of control.
Some bank I dont even have account but they manage to get my name and number.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Insurance and bank are the worst. They using telemarketing to tout. Every week sure have phone called for apply credit card/advance money from bank/insurance/fund..................knn. I really want to sue them. Is out of control.
Some bank I dont even have account but they manage to get my name and number.

Yes, it should be outlawed. The teller should use the balance information she has to tout and push other products to you. Telemarketing should be outlawed outright. The bank shouldn't use the contact information it has to harass you pushing other products to you. Brochures on racks and by mail are alright enough.