• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why did the chicken rice stall in hawker centre refuse to sell me two 白鸡腿?

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
this afternoon I went to the hawker centre near my place to eat lunch alone. then my housemate messaged me to buy and 打包两个白鸡腿 for her.

so I went to the chicken rice stall and asked aunty to 打包两个白鸡腿. she said wait, got to ask her husband who was the chopper inside. he told the wife cannot. can only buy one boiled drumstick and one roast drumstick because i wasn't buying rice together with the drumsticks. i told her then i am not buying and walked away to another stall to dabao.

his shop is full of steamed chickens, got at least 10 to 15 hanging there. why can't he sell me two boiled chicken drumsticks???

puzzling boomer hawker style to me...

can anyone explain why? i am still troubled by this incident...

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
i swear i am never going to patronise this stupid stall ever again. no logic. why one boiled one roasted can but two boiled cannot when he has like 15 chicken hanging there and there wasn't even a queue of people to buy chicken rice from his stall???

Last edited:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smarter chicken rice stall seller should always prepare more boiled steam white chicken than roasted ones. I always kana sorry no more steam one affair and find it puzzling why can't they use their Brain properly when selling things.

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smarter chicken rice stall seller should always prepare more boiled steam white chicken than roasted ones. I always kana sorry no more steam one affair and find it puzzling why can't they use their Brain properly when selling things.
boiled steam white chicken will go bad faster.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in amerika drumsticks and thighs are half the price of breasts and wings by the lb. more party goers are makaning wings and boneless “wings” made of breasts.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
this afternoon I went to the hawker centre near my place to eat lunch alone. then my housemate messaged me to buy and 打包两个白鸡腿 for her.

so I went to the chicken rice stall and asked aunty to 打包两个白鸡腿. she said wait, got to ask her husband who was the chopper inside. he told the wife cannot. can only buy one boiled drumstick and one roast drumstick because i wasn't buying rice together with the drumsticks. i told her then i am not buying and walked away to another stall to dabao.

his shop is full of steamed chickens, got at least 10 to 15 hanging there. why can't he sell me two boiled chicken drumsticks???

It's a standard hawker stall practice for chicken or duck drumsticks for two main purpose.

1) To ensure equitable fairness to all customers. One chicken only has two drumsticks which is quite precious as it's tastier and more costly than other portions hence it's fairer to give only one drumstick to a single customer unless the customer is ordering whole chicken.

2) Timing, consumption (utilization)and economic reasons - usually unless the chicken is already chopped with ready to sell drumsticks placed on the tray, say they have 3 pieces, they perhaps they can two excess drumsticks to you (to maximize utilization).

But if all they have on their tray is one single drumstick, plus a whole lot of chicken meat left, like wings, breast meat, lower halfs etc, then it does not make economic sense (or equitable fairness) for them to chop a drumstick out of a whole new chicken just to sell you a drumstick.

If such request continues unchecked i.e. customers aiming only for drumsticks, the stall owner will eventually be left with many whole chicken hanging on the hooks without drumstick, then next batch of customers can only order rest of the meat without drumsticks, which is not only weird, but wasteful and unfair to others, esp. those who want to order drumstick, half a chicken or lower quarter portion.

Hence based on this logic, the stall owner can only sell you another roasted drumstick the most.

When you become a chicken/duck rice hawker then you will understand these logic and practice.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Because if he sells you two drum sticks, he will have trouble selling the rest of the chicken. Most decent patrons would order half a chicken. How to order half chicken when you selfishly hoarded the drumsticks for yourself?