• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why DBS blame customer when fraud occurred?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard atms all long queue today.....sinkies checking accounts/withdrawing money :biggrin:

Yes, the queues were so long could have made a living selling 'drinks, drinks, curry puffs, curry puffs". Similar to the 70s at the National Stadium when M'sian state teams visited.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;Vt-k0xr1AzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-k0xr1AzA[/video]

watch 4:43. superb sleight of hand.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hackers take 650++ and DBS take 5. Partners la. Win win situation.

skimming is done by some dishonest traders or employee of the merchant.. so it means customer's fault???

http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/e...fraudulent-withdrawal-physically-3553059.html
Dear forumer,

Just to share with you guys a recent incident. I know my case here may seem similiar to some of thread here but mine was actually a physical withdrawal.

Yesterday evening (1/2/2012) while i was making my payment with DBS Taka Debit Card, the transaction didnt go through, the cashier tried 2 times with debit charge and once with NETs. So my friend pay for me first using his card.

I quickily log in to i-banking mobile and to my horror.
My card statement shows that with 2 withdrawal was made on 1/2/2012 , amounting to over 650++ , including 2 processing fee of $5 each.

I quickily called up DBS and report it. The CSO terminate my card immediately and ask me if i lost my card before etc.. I ask what exactly is this transaction and why werent there able to stop the payment. The reply was it was a withdrawal at ATM machines in Malaysia. Thats why there is $5 processing fee.

i asked if i will be getting back my $ since i found it early, probably less than a day. The CSO says no guarantee and that i might not get back my money since it was already withdrawn. and advice me to make a police report too.

I went to police post and lodge a report.
I haven never lost my card before in my whole life and i have never been to malaysia in my whole life too. So im really shocked why my card details was easily skimmed? and its a withdrawal from ATM some more!! no one have my pin not even my family or gf.

I do make online purchase, so if maybe i have viruses in my com or what i can understand , but no.. its not online purchase. Its a physical withdrawal.. how can it be? the person needs my card and pin to access while the card is with me all along. I find it really hard to believe given singapore's standing in their so called advance technology that prevent skimming and cameras all over. The thought of how the heck did those people install devices on ATM machines without being caught by the CCTV cameras etc???

I hope it was a wrong withdrawal and that my hard earn money will be recover back asap. Right now i totally have no confident in DBS and i dont even feel like using that account anymore at thoughts that my card details is already with some fraud syndicate trying their luck to withdraw money from my account.

This is what was shown on my transaction record.
This image has been resized.Click to view original image

*Be careful of this merchant names, which i believe is the location of the ATM

Police report made.
This image has been resized.Click to view original image

* sensitive info was covered.

The criminal(s) might have access on this forums.. who knows right?
To the criminal: You better own up to get a lighter sentence, not worth doing such stupid thing , you can run.. yes.. for how long.. you decide.. go google it.. cases in 2010 reported.. that fellow get 9 years jail sentence.. carry on your vice if you want to break the record..

Anyone encounter such situation? please share and please be extra careful and aware of your account transaction..

Updates:
1/5 - Received call from DBS compliance dept following up on my case today during lunch time. The Caller asked a series of questions such as did i went malaysia before etc.. whether i made any replacement card before etc... called told me that if its indeed a fraud they will reimburse all the amount and that i would received a call if they are going to reimburse. I think this was before DBS made the official statement.

Places where i used my compromised card, physically, for the past 3 months:
Bras Basah MRT ATM
West Mall - beside M1 shop
Bukit Batok MRT - beside gong cha
Chinatown MRT inside, beside 7-11
Jurong Point Golden Village AXS machine
Boon lay MRT - Left and right side on
Pioneer Mall level 2
Courts at Boon Lay
Dhoby Ghuat MRT ezlink top up machine (purple color one)
Boon lay Interchange EzLink top up machine (purple color one)
Science Park CinTech ATM

*Those who used yr card at the above mentioned places. please take note*

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is no need to skim a atm card or credit card. Leaked or compromised data on the bank's end, ending up with the fraud syndicate will enable them to be able to replicate a card as well. The media imo, has been told to say that the only way fraudulent withdrawals can be withdrawn is partly the pin being seen by others and sold, this is to save DBS's ass. The pin and other card data which are stored on the magnetic strip is used to match the db which the bank has, and if match then identity is considered verified. That goes to say that bank has all the data which these fraudsters can use to replicate card and can be sold to them by hackers or ppl within the bank who has access. The uphill task is to decrypt these codes given to them as all data would be encrypted. DBS is trying to shift all the blame and not put themselves in a bad light, i believe their data has long been compromised and this case could have been linked to the previous outage as well, just all being kept hush-hush.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SongSong all the way to Jurong. Hahahahaha...

Makan type of song-song will not arrive in Jurong. In the earlier example illustrated, the song-song ended once you exit the National Stadium for the walk to the nearest food centre at Beach Rd.

kt88_2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think their system kana hack Liao, now try to blame certain tech gadgets n camera, not everybody is so stupid to not even notice if any gadgets installed illegally.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
If their cards have been skimmed, it is their fault. They should have been more careful.

exactly. and all of them seem to have had their money withdrawn from overseas ATM. they should have been more careful in even more third-world-lish countries.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are making the best out of a bad situation, system kena hacked and data got stolen, fraudsters got hold and duplicate cards to make unathorized withdrawals (hard to imagine only ONE bank got this fraudulent withdrawals problem and over 200 people got their pins saw by fraudsters and cards skimmed at the same time). After the shit exposed, come out and say will compensate in full. If indeed due to users' fault, DBS wont be so willing to compensate, they are doing all these to divert attention away from the real problem (lack of security) and that would really cause a big loss of confidence.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
exactly. and all of them seem to have had their money withdrawn from overseas ATM. they should have been more careful in even more third-world-lish countries.

Just because the withdrawals were made in 3rd world countries does not mean that the skimming occurred there. The crooks skimmed cards in Singapore, made duplicates and then crossed the border to Malaysia in order to make the withdrawals.

Only an idiot crook or one that has no other options would conduct both the skimming and the withdrawals in the same country.

M

Mdm Tang

The sgp stock mkt just

finished trading day.

DBS Bank down 7 cents

today to close at $11.79 per share.

at dwn 7 cents , millions wiped

out just today from this counter .

M

Mdm Tang

Just because the withdrawals were made in 3rd world countries does not mean that the skimming occurred there. The crooks skimmed cards in Singapore, made duplicates and then crossed the border to Malaysia in order to make the withdrawals.

Only an idiot crook or one that has no other options would conduct both the skimming and the withdrawals in the same country.

agreed . spf will got

a sophosicated one on their plate

this time .

i think the crooks want the CEO

to Go ...

they can chose other banks but

why chose DBS of all banks ?

M

Mdm Tang

Super Crooks !!!

Probably the only Bank in the World to be Robbed

400 times in 1 week :( , why robbed 400 times for S$500k

when you can robbed 1 time for say S$5 M ???

DBS/POSB should beef up ATM security, say customers
By Nurul Syuhaida | Posted: 07 January 2012 1523 hrs

SINGAPORE: Most Singaporeans Channel NewsAsia spoke to said they will continue to use ATMs despite the latest fraud which hit 400 POSB and DBS customers this week.

However, they said they expect the bank to beef up ATM security to prevent a similar incident in the future.

Two ATMs in Bugis Street were compromised over a three-day period in late November last year.

It's believed that customers' card details were stolen and copied onto fake cards, which were then used to withdraw cash amounting to some S$500,000 in Malaysia.

On Friday, DBS said the two machines are back in operation after an islandwide check on its ATMs.

Customers said they are not bothered by the fact that the machines had been compromised.

"It's not an issue of the ATMs, it's the control behind it," said one customer.

Experts have advised bank customers to observe signs of tampering on the ATMs, such as unusual installations or fixtures, before making cash withdrawals.

But most people Channel NewsAsia spoke to are clueless on what to look out for.

Some customers were not even aware that there are anti-skimming devices installed on the ATMs.

DBS has advised customers to change their PIN frequently, but this idea wasn't well received.

"Change the PIN number? But I'm afraid I can't remember the number," said one customer.

"Everyone has so many numbers to remember, so many passwords to remember. I think it's difficult," said another.

Some suggested that the bank could beef up its ATM security with additional features, such as fingerprint identification.

Others suggested that customers can protect their money by transferring cash from savings accounts into fixed deposit accounts.

Most people said ultimately, it's the bank's responsibility to safeguard customers' money, and they want banks to step up security measures to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

- CNA/cc

M

Mdm Tang

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120109-320636.html

Shanmugam: Concerns over ATM fraud valid

By Reico Wong
my paper
Monday, Jan 09, 2012
Consumers' concerns over the fraudulent DBS and POSB ATM withdrawals last week are "legitimate" and "valid", said Foreign Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam yesterday morning.

He added that the banks will have to take active steps to rebuild customers' trust. "I think the banks will have to assure the customers that it is safe and what steps they have to take to keep it safe."

The Monetary Authority of Singapore has to work with the banks on this as well, Mr Shanmugan told Shin Min Daily News on the sidelines of a consti- tuency event in Yishun.

About 400 customers have been affected in the ATM fraud, with about $500,000 stolen from their accounts.

The local bank has said that it will fully compensate affected customer within 24 hours.

While investigations are under way, DBS said last Friday evening that increasing evidence pointed to the unauthorised with- drawals as being part of a card-skimming operation.

At a separate event yesterday afternoon, Mr Shanmugam reminded Singaporeans that they can make useful contribu- tions to society, no matter how modest their financial circumstances.

He was guest of honour at a fund-raising event for the underprivileged elderly, organised by Singapore Power with Riders Aid, a community group made up of 1,000 motorcycle enthusiasts in Singapore.

To spread the festive cheer to them, eight seniors from voluntary welfare organisation Swami Home Help Service also had the opportunity to go for a spin on some of the biggest motorcycles on the road, including Harley Davidsons and Honda Goldwings.

M

Mdm Tang

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/atm-fraud-hits-dbs-again-145650408.html

ATM fraud hits DBS again, S$23,000 stolen
By kaifong | SingaporeScene – 8 hours

DBS was riddled yet again with a second round of fraudulent withdrawals. (AP file photo)
DBS has been hit by another round of unauthorised ATM withdrawals with S$23,000 stolen from 17 accounts last Sunday night.

All affected customers were fully compensated within 24 hours.

In a statement released on Thursday, DBS said it received calls from a handful of customers who were alerted to unauthorised ATM withdrawals in Singapore after receiving real-time SMS alerts from the bank.

The bank added that the incident was not a result of any new skimming activity but a residual effect of the same card skimming operation that took place at the end of last year.

No other unauthorised withdrawals have been made over the past few days, DBS confirmed, before adding that it is currently working closely with the authorities on the investigation.

After identifying another group of customers who were potentially at risk, the bank deactivated their cards and took immediate steps to replace them. These customers were informed on the same day and new ATM and debit cards have since been issued to them.

On Monday, Yahoo! Singapore reported that several DBS customers were left shocked and stranded without cash after the bank deactivated their ATM and debit cards without prior notice.

However, it is unknown at press time if the bank's move was part of its security measures in relation to the recent occurrences of unauthorised withdrawals.

All DBS and POSB customers are encouraged to ensure that the bank has records of their current mobile phone contact details in order to facilitate the receipt of real-time SMS alerts, or other forms of customer communications.

Customers can also choose to lower their daily ATM cash withdrawal limit at any branch and the bank strongly encourages its customers to refresh their PINs on a frequent basis for added protection.

Related articles:

DBS chief apologises for ATM fraud incident

DBS moves to implement security measures