• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Are Some Hawkers Stalls Signboards and Menu totally in Mandarin?

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle has noticed recently that some hawker stalls have menu totally in Mandarin and even their signboards contain no English at all.

I thought it is compulsory for English plus any other language to be used?

Uncle noticed also the gross recent increase in food prices all round and the extra charge of 20 cents each for containers. They even charge this when using plastics sheets instead of containers!

Also some stalls have conveniently removed their pricings on their boards.

Which govt agency is in charge of the hawkers centres?

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle has noticed recently that some hawker stalls have menu totally in Mandarin and even their signboards contain no English at all.

Uncle noticed also the gross recent increase in food prices all round and the extra charge of 20 cents each for containers. They even charge this when using plastics sheets instead of containers!

NEA ...

You can complian to them. As for the signs, i dont really care as long as the food is good and you can be sure that when you have old timer locals cooking the food, there is usually some standard.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to tulan. Just dun eat there loh.

What it means is that they have enough customers, they do not need to do your business, see this type of face
image.php
and your precious cents.

This is Chinapore.
532709_340263146036398_1481004643_n.jpg

(Chief Exec, Singapore SAR, China)

Last edited:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is more than enough good food in the country. No need to be fed-up with those few.

What it means is that they have enough customers, they do not need to do your business, see this type of face
image.php
and your precious cents.

This is Chinapore.
532709_340263146036398_1481004643_n.jpg

(Chief Exec, Singapore SAR, China)

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Too bad most Hawkers tend to be Chinese Helicopter than they only knows Chinese characters!

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too bad most Hawkers tend to be Chinese Helicopter than they only knows Chinese characters!

Uncle believes that there is a law regarding the use of Engligh for signboards and pricings.

That is why I brought it up. We must think of our minority racial population too. There are also Chinese like Uncle who does not read Mandarin. The NEA are not doing their job.:smile:

BTW my ancestors came here 150 years ago!:smile:

akunei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle believes that there is a law regarding the use of Engligh for signboards and pricings.

That is why I brought it up. We must think of our minority racial population too. There are also Chinese like Uncle who does not read Mandarin. The NEA are not doing their job.:smile:

Err....just checking...do u know how to write your chinese name? How about numbers 1 to 10....

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if the stall owner was another race say indian and only had his signboard in indian language for eg nobody would raise the issue and even if the issue was raised ppl would say he was just being fussy. Notice how only chinese hawkers are targetted.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There used to be bro, but this began first appearing in the late 1990s. There was a restaurant in Clarke Quay that only had Chinese words and signboard. I too was surprised.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

20cent for container really over price. The cost less than 5 cent.
Dont want to pay then eat there. The stall need to wash some more and clean table. Even more trouble some.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are really belong to a very unique minority who cannot read or write your own mother tougue.I think not many people in this World whom at the same time can speak good English cannot speak their own native mother tongue! I hope you keep this to yourselves lest you are a "xxxxx" to your own clanmen !

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no rule that a food stall signboard or menu must be in English. Chinese is one of the four official languages.

I don't understand people who insist on small matter like this. Life must be very dull to make a person nitpick over things like that.

If it is a road sign, public transport or some public facility, sure.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no rule that a food stall signboard or menu must be in English. Chinese is one of the four official languages.

I don't understand people who insist on small matter like this. Life must be very dull to make a person nitpick over things like that.

If it is a road sign, public transport or some public facility, sure.

Actually you are only partially correct. The ppl only make a fuss only when it's in CHINESE. you understand? Now if there was some indian stall advertsing their food in indian language or malay language or pinoy language all of a sudden these ppl wouldn't take offence. You can take a bet with me on this. Straight up double standard. Only Chinese stalls need to display english words while stores of other races are allowed to post in their respective languages and not english.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cox they sell Chinese food lah.... Malay also put malay words what....

Serious ah bro? Malay stall put malay words? Isn't english the main lingua franca in sg? Why don't the malay stalls put english words? Oh yes cos only chinese stalls have to put english while it's fine for malay stalls to only have malay language solely on their signboards. Pure discrimination.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no rule to include English on sign boards. All Chinese signboards have been around since before we were born.

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have never met a hawker who spoke english whenever i visit singapore.

i speak to them in english, they reply in chinese, and i don't understand them.

my partner is of german descent and when she is with me, they speak to us in bs...none of us understand WTF they are saying.

i dont understand why they hate the chinese when they are 100% chinese themselves.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng replied: nea, hdb n moh lah.:biggrin:
nea for licence n hygiene.
hdb for stall rental
moh for health of hawkers

most english ed people dun go to hawker centers mah mostly for ahmm n ahpek.:biggrin:
however, food is more important than signboards when u r hungry - sight, smell, taste, touch, hearing n common sense - all 6 senses of food.:wink: