• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Are $200k Per Year FAP MPees Skipping Parleement Sessions?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]DISAPPOINTED AT MPS NOT ATTENDING PARLIAMENT SITTING[/h]

<!-- /.block -->
<style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>
Post date:
14 Jul 2014 - 8:14pm

<ins style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

I WAS disappointed to read that there were too few members in a recent Parliament sitting to pass two Bills (“Eugene Tan keeps an eagle eye on quorum numbers”; last Tuesday).
A few questions came to my mind.
First, MPs voted in by the people are the voice of the people in the House. But how are they going to be the people’s voice if they do not attend the debate on certain Bills to be passed?
Does the House keep a record of how often a member is absent from such proceedings?
Second, why did the sessions proceed in the first place if the House did not already have the required number of elected MPs present as specified under the Constitution?
Third, what are the common reasons for MPs’ absence from such proceedings? Are these members holding too many appointments outside the House?
Lastly, if there are so many members absent from such proceedings, how good and effective is the debate in the House?
It may be better to delay a vote on a Bill until there is a quorum. If not, it may give the impression that the proceeding does not carry weight as a decision might have been made before a vote.
Leong Kok Seng
* Letter appeared in ST Forum (14 Jul)

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]DISAPPOINTED AT MPS NOT ATTENDING PARLIAMENT SITTING[/h]

<!-- /.block -->
<style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>
Post date:
14 Jul 2014 - 8:14pm

<ins style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

I WAS disappointed to read that there were too few members in a recent Parliament sitting to pass two Bills (“Eugene Tan keeps an eagle eye on quorum numbers”; last Tuesday).
A few questions came to my mind.
First, MPs voted in by the people are the voice of the people in the House. But how are they going to be the people’s voice if they do not attend the debate on certain Bills to be passed?
Does the House keep a record of how often a member is absent from such proceedings?
Second, why did the sessions proceed in the first place if the House did not already have the required number of elected MPs present as specified under the Constitution?
Third, what are the common reasons for MPs’ absence from such proceedings? Are these members holding too many appointments outside the House?
Lastly, if there are so many members absent from such proceedings, how good and effective is the debate in the House?
It may be better to delay a vote on a Bill until there is a quorum. If not, it may give the impression that the proceeding does not carry weight as a decision might have been made before a vote.
Leong Kok Seng
* Letter appeared in ST Forum (14 Jul)

I often wonder how doctors and lawyers and other busy people can find time to attend prepare and attend parliamentary sessions. Can you or I ? In fact they will find it difficult, hence the frequent absences. It is a wonder that their minds are fully engaged even when they do attend. They make this "sacrifice" not solely because of their interest in representing people but because the high profile is good for business. I am talking in general, there are several noteworthy exceptions.

Singaporeans are not well served. I am surprised the Speaker and Deputy Speaker do not understand the meaning of a quorum, and they are paid fantastic amounts for the job. Standards are slipping in Singapore and these are the telling signs. PAP MPs are losing respect. Instead of pulling up their socks they are seeking to drag down opposition MPs. This is a really bad move.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a part time job for them. They have more pressing issues to attend to e.g. golfing, fine dining, director board meeting. :wink:

It makes little sense to attend anyway. The PAP is going to do whatever it pleases and steamroll through any legislation it likes. :cool:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For events such as this, you can be assured of full attendance and absolute punctuality. 4pm sharp means 4pm sharp, probably means everyone is already on standby at 3.45pm. :biggrin:

mci0003.jpg

Who did you vote for? :rolleyes:

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
...Singaporeans are not well served. I am surprised the Speaker and Deputy Speaker do not understand the meaning of a quorum, and they are paid fantastic amounts for the job. Standards are slipping in Singapore and these are the telling signs. PAP MPs are losing respect. Instead of pulling up their socks they are seeking to drag down opposition MPs. This is a really bad move.

Compared to the MPs in other countries, like Taiwan, the papee MPs are totally useless. One woman papee MP is known to have told sinkies to fuck off if unhappy. In Taiwan, the MPs fought with one another physically in Parliament to push the agenda for their supporters. Why? One MP put it this way: "If I don't fight for my supporters, I get voted out the next election."

See the difference? In Taiwan, MP works for the people. In sinkapoo, the MP sees the people as "nothing".

In sinkapoo, because of GRC, the papee MPs take it in their stride, no need to worry, can ponteng and still will get elected automatically to go for another 5 year term. Democracy? You got to be kidding unless GRC is demolished and sinkies get to vote their MPs on free will.

Last edited:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
For events such as this, you can be assured of full attendance and absolute punctuality. 4pm sharp means 4pm sharp, probably means everyone is already on standby at 3.45pm.

For the diehard sycophants, they might be there by 8am, skipping all the parliamentary sessions and debates just to prepares for events such as that one above.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ponteng and still get paid. Where in the world can you get this kind of lobang?

Where is the check and balance...?

PM should be the caretaker and give the members a bashing for performing miserably...

Imagine being paid $200,000 a year and the absent rate is so high...

PAP BOLEH....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where is the check and balance...?

PM should be the caretaker and give the members a bashing for performing miserably...

Imagine being paid $200,000 a year and the absent rate is so high...

PAP BOLEH....

What is the speaker of parliament for?? .....off also I bet...!! hmmm!! It is a bill to restrict the oppositions you can bet that, it will be 100% attendance plus the old fart in attendance too....:rolleyes:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Are $200k Per Year FAP MPees Skipping Parleement Sessions?

*groan* problem with Sam is that he has too many people here who think $200k a year is chin choi lui. <style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I often wonder how doctors and lawyers and other busy people can find time to attend prepare and attend parliamentary sessions. Can you or I ? In fact they will find it difficult, hence the frequent absences. It is a wonder that their minds are fully engaged even when they do attend. They make this "sacrifice" not solely because of their interest in representing people but because the high profile is good for business. I am talking in general, there are several noteworthy exceptions.

Singaporeans are not well served. I am surprised the Speaker and Deputy Speaker do not understand the meaning of a quorum, and they are paid fantastic amounts for the job. Standards are slipping in Singapore and these are the telling signs. PAP MPs are losing respect. Instead of pulling up their socks they are seeking to drag down opposition MPs. This is a really bad move.

Do a reverse ERP for these buggers!
Work out average allowance paid per sitting & deduct that amount every time they din turn up
LKY will get a few dollars as MP..............

Is is really absurd that such MPs are so shameless to take such allowance!!

jw5

Loyal
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahaha................................. ROTFL ............................ You made my day........................ :biggrin:

Why does he keep on taking the payment.......? Isn't he supposed to be a principled man???

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
*groan* problem with Sam is that he has too many people here who think $200k a year is chin choi lui. <style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>

It's not about the amount of money, but rather the value received from paying that money.

LKY is overpaid and overrated.

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
For events such as this, you can be assured of full attendance and absolute punctuality. 4pm sharp means 4pm sharp, probably means everyone is already on standby at 3.45pm. :biggrin:

mci0003.jpg

Who did you vote for? :rolleyes:

Look at Marlboro Tan so happpyyy!