• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why 50 million homes in China are empty

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey, Chinese here.
It's So true about the gender imbalance, housing price and savings.
I live in Changsha, capital city of Hunan province, which is located in the mid-area of China. I earn around 65000-70000 RMB, which is around 11000 USD every year. It's definitely not a lot of money, but I can ensure you I surpassed at least 50% of the people in my city when it comes to the salary. (I work in cross-border E-commerce industy :-) )
Being a man / male in China is not easy at all, since the housing issue will drive you mad.
I have to save 75-80% of my salary for buying a house here. Of course my salary is not enough, so I got some support from my family. My parents and I will pay both 15% of the price in a couple of months to afford the first apartment for me. (30% at first, the rest 70% will be paid in loans monthly, which would cost around 40% of my salary in future, yes monthly.) The apartment is around 110 square meters big.

You guys might say, screw it! Why the hell should I live under such a huge pressure!! Well, you just don't have the choice. When it comes to marriage, house is definitely the super No.1 condition. No house, no girl, no marriage. Sometimes I just don't understand why the hell that girls in China loves the house so so so so much nowadays. Anyways, there's reason of girls want "the feeling of safety" / the bad renting system here / The special Hukou policy.

All right, if ever I could have a choice. I want a daughter. No, definitely not a son. So my child will face less pressure in future.

But hey, let's look at the bright side. Anyway, it just takes around 20-25 years to pay the loans. And, my salary might also increase.. right? :-) Since... Hmmm . I've been studying English and Japanese until today and I can do some translation part-time jobs. (I just LOVE video games so much, Sony and Microsoft, games are pushing me to study languages everyday!!!)