• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

who serve the best teochew la pia (cake)?

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just checked with my mother and she said the traditional moon cake used to be sold at Thye Li, but now closed down liao....This year CNY, sister got it at a shop somewhere in Lorong Ah Soo... will find out and let you know. But, no guarantee the la pia quality is what you want...Cheers.

Thye Lee is located at Blk 108, Lorong Ah Soo and they are still in business.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
update:
the hua li at chin swee road clsoe down liao.
last yr 8th month last sale
they say younger generation not keen to take over the long hour business.
thye mo chan is air conditon,i dont like modern one
heng huh.
still got 1 traditional 1 at hong lim.
traditonal la pia.
anyone into authentic teochew restaurant?

Chui Wah Lim Teochew Restaurant at Keng Lee Rd operated by Jumbo was good and I had dined there about six times.

I stopped patronising Chui Wah Lim a year ago when they replaced their original local Teochew chefs with PRC ones.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chui Wah Lim Teochew Restaurant at Keng Lee Rd operated by Jumbo was good and I had dined there about six times.

I stopped patronising Chui Wah Lim a year ago when they replaced their original local Teochew chefs with PRC ones.

The last time we dined there they served us bad braised duck and pomfret fish.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal

last time ban seng near the clark key river...visited by lots of mps.
since then their chef change, they fold business

red star at chin swee,i not sure still operating

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Joe,

La piah is pork-lard-bun and it's artery clogging, so please don't eat it too often.

Ok thank you. So this big piah is called la-piah? I thought its a giant tau-sar-piah. Will have a quarter for breakfast tomorrow morning with kopi-O.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Had it about 6 months ago. Imo, not that great.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ah Orh Seafood Restaurant at Jln Bt Merah serves great Teochew makan. There is another at Bendemeer. Just can't recall the name now. Located below HDB block near Whampoa South.

Ah Orh is in block 115 Jln Bt Merah (si-kah-teng) is good. A Teochew restaurant I used to frequent is Huat Kee (74 Amoy Street) 100% authentic but a little expensive. The other very good teochew restaurant is Teochew City in Centrepoint, love their cold flower crab.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Orh is in block 115 Jln Bt Merah (si-kah-teng) is good. A Teochew restaurant I used to frequent is Huat Kee (74 Amoy Street) 100% authentic but a little expensive. The other very good teochew restaurant is Teochew City in Centrepoint, love their cold flower crab.

Ok, now I recall the name of the other Teochew restaurant - Liang Kee. Used to entertain foreign guests at Huat Kee in the past but never there on my own with friends or family. Been a long time since I makaned at Teochew City.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok, now I recall the name of the other Teochew restaurant - Liang Kee. Used to entertain foreign guests at Huat Kee in the past but never there on my own with friends or family. Been a long time since I makaned at Teochew City.

Years ago when I just started to visit Huat Kee saw an old man with his kakis there for lunch because I know boss he told me its oldfart's dad who makan there almost every week.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
What happened to this restaurant? I used to go there and a number of family members were involved so one would have thought some one in the family would take over in a different location. Recently they invited their regulars for dinner.

There was a traditional Teochew restaurant, Mong Hing at Keypoint, Beach Road. Used to have reunion dinners there every year. Unfortunately, this year 2013 will be their last year of business as the complex is to be redeveloped by May....another lost traditional food source...

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liang Kee and Ah Orh 'boi-sai' liao.

Last year I hosted a lunch for 11 at Liang Kee at Bendemeer and the foods were nowhere near to their Ellenborough Market/Tew Chew St days.

All my khakis rekon Ah Orh's standard has dropped and he's overcharging.

Last edited:

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Had it about 6 months ago. Imo, not that great.

The founder of Chui Huay Lim Teochew Restaurant started off as a cook at our Chui Huay Lim Club at Keng Lee Rd where he prepared lunch and dinner daily for us members.

After his two decades of service to the club, he appealed to the club's committee to allow him to use the Chui Huay Lim's name for his restaurant opening at Mosque St in the late 80's.

The son was looking after the restaurant when Jumbo bought over.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't this La Pia very sweet? I thought they are a different version of mooncake - teochew style. I came across a shop near Khatib Camp. Was at the malay coffee shop eating and saw one of the shop houses selling all the traditional sweetie staff and they have a "small factory" behind the shop.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
waa.with kopi o. you really understand la pia and kopi o synergy

Where I am can hardly find a good cup of coffee as in the "gor-za" kopitiam style so the closest is this I buy from Singapore

After cutting the piah I realised that the inside is a little different from tau-sar-piah, this piah's filling is rather dry and loose but it smells real good like lardy

Taste wise is is salty and sweet and I guess it's plentiful of saseme seeds make a great difference.

Cheer guys have a good day ahead

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liang Kee and Ah Orh 'boi-sai' liao. ..nowhere near to their Ellenborough Market/Tew Chew St days. All my khakis rekon Ah Orh's standard has dropped and he's overcharging.
Ah so, even my mom wasn't impresses with LK (you even made to sit on 5 foot way outside restaurant proper). Ah Orh's kitchen/fridge display brought back memories of Ellenborough's great days. Sambal hay-poh was an institution, even for non-teochews.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal

just dine at huat kee last fortnight.food is decent good.
order 4 piece of black sea cubcumber(meaning 4 plates).each $25 for the size of a 80cent tao sai pai