• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Which is your preferred gps

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it better to use a dedicated gps or mobile phone apps like google map waze etc ?
I only know mobilephone gps will need to utilise data whereas gps device doesn't need. Also what apps does all these gps device uses ? Which one is most accurate form of navigation ?

Any advice is appreciated.

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Google maps. Even tells you speed camera ahead.
I tried tested a little of google map and waze but was not driving so it was not a good test at all. Google map is quiet whereas waze is interactive. Overall is google map accurate in calculating the shortest source and destination ?

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also heard that mobilephone gps are subjected to few factors for the reception whereas dedicated gps device use direct satellite so it is more stable. Can anyone confirm this is true ?

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also heard that mobilephone gps are subjected to few factors for the reception whereas dedicated gps device use direct satellite so it is more stable. Can anyone confirm this is true ?
Waze is the best bec the routes and routing are more accurate than maps. Nobody uses dedicated GPS like Garmin nowadays, they can't compete with internet based phone apps which has sharing capabilities of traffic, user inputs, advertisements, etc. The phone apps like maps and Waze need both GPS and mobile data connectivity to function - so that the sharing of info and global positioning can be achieved.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't tell the difference between mobile phone GPS reception and Garmin GPS reception. Both are the same. I think the phone GPS reception tends to spoil faster bec it heats up more with all the other apps. Whereas a Garmin GPS only has 1 function and no apps.

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waze is the best bec the routes and routing are more accurate than maps. Nobody uses dedicated GPS like Garmin nowadays, they can't compete with internet based phone apps which has sharing capabilities of traffic, user inputs, advertisements, etc. The phone apps like maps and Waze need both GPS and mobile data connectivity to function - so that the sharing of info and global positioning can be achieved.
Thanks for the tips. I'm feeling excited finally collecting my dream car soon and contemplating whether to buy a gps or a cheap phone and I have never used a gps before :geek: Sg roads have changed dramatically over the last 20 years when i first started driving. :speechless:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's for driving, my friends swear by Garmin.

However, if you're a newbie driver, getting lost is part of the fun. And the learning experience.

Relying too much on the GPS device is like relying too much on the calculator for simple calculations.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You better be sure that the internet connection is good and stable. :wink:

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it's for driving, my friends swear by Garmin.

However, if you're a newbie driver, getting lost is part of the fun. And the learning experience.

Relying too much on the GPS device is like relying too much on the calculator for simple calculations.
really ? any idea does garmin has lanes preamp function ?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal

KNN my uncle kena before from newbie not fun if you want to go zouk to see party animals and the newbie drive you to zoo to see real animals KNN

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I tried tested a little of google map and waze but was not driving so it was not a good test at all. Google map is quiet whereas waze is interactive. Overall is google map accurate in calculating the shortest source and destination ?
Yes. Look you are driving. Why do you want an Interactive GPS while you are driving? That's distracted driving!

Google maps just tells you what you need. Even says there is congestion on highway ahead. Detour to save 6 min. Accept?

Excellent. Plus you already have a smartphone presumably and download of the app is free.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Maybe for sinkies the best GPS is the one that is going to be in every single car from the lamborghinis and porsches to the proton.

The ERP GPS! Lol! Suckers!