• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

When People don't compare objectively and just spew nonsense..

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whenever I read or hear people make comparisons.. and do it "blindly" or intentionally blurring the facts, i get real frustrated and even angry.

I once read that old man said he didn't understand why the new generation wanted "work-life balance", and even went on to say that during his time, it was unheard of.

Of course he didn't hear of it in years past!! Ridiculous to even suggest that 20 to 30 years ago, that such a notion weighed heavily on every SG citizen's mind.. or even anyone around the world.

Let's face it, we are now so connected via the internet.. our mobile phones.. so much so that we can't say we didn't receive any messages.. or got the emails or the updates.. it is quite possible now to just hide at home and tell your family members to tell callers that you are not at home.

20 to 30 years ago, when mobile phones were not cheap.. not so easily obtainable.. having one not only meant you got money (or sponsor).. but also that you could be reached.. albeit maybe not 24 hours a day. Back then.. mobile phones didn't come with wi-fi or internet capabilities.. nor did they display pictures.. pagers were more the rage.. and internet was not as what it is today.

How can you compare.. if you don't take into account all of the above I just stated.. and just say out loud, 'i don't understand why people nowadays say they want work-life balance.. when back when we were working.. we just worked.." or blah blah blah.

NONSENSE!! Those who don't do a proper comparison with facts of yester-years with today's actual world, are hiding and glossing over the facts and presenting a totally WRONG picture.

And.. it is the same as comparing Singapore with any other country.. without taking into account the various differences in natural resources, population mix, geographical outlay and the history of the nation. It just doesn't give anyone the correct picture, if you just say, "SG can achieve Swiss standard of living..." and go on to say that to do so, we need to follow in the way Swisstzerland does business and the laws and whatever.

What does Swisstzerland that SG does not? Natural resources, a more homogenous population than SG (not so many different races I believe) and quite a long history in building a nation.. therefore.. one can safely assume they made some mistakes along the way.

sSo.. now.. whenever I hear or read some pappy tokcok, giving blind comparisons of whatever.. I just shake my head and hope not all SG people are dumb enuf to believe that person.

Seriuosly... SG people have got to think with their brain and really look at the facts.. and not just take things as what people tell them. Being ignorant should only be a thing of your younger days.. when you didn't know where to obtain information, and how to differentiate facts from "fairy tales". To continue to not find out the facts only shows one to be lazy.. not ignorant any more.

SadPlumpGal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with my mum that the younger generations, including mine, are soft.

She is not very highly educated but managed to put me through university.

Singapore has no natural resources and therefore we cannot slacken.

We must always be one step ahead of our competitors.

Too much work-life balance talk will lead to a lot of problems.

But one thing has remained unchanged over the generations: there will always be low-life fox spirits casting their charms on weak men and destroying families.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brother DuYunQi a good one and looking from another angle,LKY was telling the world that "HE IS OUT OF DATE!"
On the other hand,Singapore citizens are actually not dumb but simply blinded for too long by you know who?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even with all the ways to contact a person today a person can still be uncontactable.

Like the m1 outage today. If you use your phone to also connect to the internet and you don't have numbers from other providers or internet access from other providers well that's it. Nobody can contact you.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even with all the ways to contact a person today a person can still be uncontactable.

Like the m1 outage today. If you use your phone to also connect to the internet and you don't have numbers from other providers or internet access from other providers well that's it. Nobody can contact you.

carry 3 phones from 3 different service providers. one 3g and two 4g. 4g is prone to failure. need a 3g only backup. if inadequate, get a fourth: satellite phone. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I once read that old man said he didn't understand why the new generation wanted "work-life balance", and even went on to say that during his time, it was unheard of.

"Work-life balance" is a personal choice regarding how you want to live your life. It has nothing to do with government policy.

I was contactable 24/7 from 1982 onwards via one of these.

pager-beeper.jpg

It didn't stop me from choosing my own balance between leisure and productive pursuits.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Work-life balance" is a personal choice regarding how you want to live your life. It has nothing to do with government policy.

work-life balance is the perk sold by Western MNCs to recruit the best talent possible. our local talents will simply flock to MNCs if you ask them to slave locally from 0900-2100.

all thanks to one world.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yeah, keep working hard Boxer. The PAP regime loves obedient workers who put their nose to the grindstone. :rolleyes:

One day you may achieve karoshi nirvana. Just go ask May Leong. :cool:

SlickJon

Alfrescian
Loyal
must work harder if not others will come and steal our lunch so cannot even think of work life balance mah

jw5

Loyal
Whenever I read or hear people make comparisons.. and do it "blindly" or intentionally blurring the facts, i get real frustrated and even angry.

One thing I learnt over the years is not to listen to this old goat or take anything he says too seriously or earnestly.
Some of the things he says borders on the absurd and ridiculous.
Yet there are those who go weak at the knees whenever he opens his mouth. :rolleyes:

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I was contactable 24/7 from 1982 onwards via one of these.

It didn't stop me from choosing my own balance between leisure and productive pursuits.

... I am confused... can you point out exactly WHERE in my post did I state that work-life balance WAS a government policy??

Gee.. u better go get your eyes checked.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with my mum that the younger generations, including mine, are soft.

She is not very highly educated but managed to put me through university.

Too much work-life balance talk will lead to a lot of problems.

But one thing has remained unchanged over the generations: there will always be low-life fox spirits casting their charms on weak men and destroying families.

I already mentioned that SG is lacking in natural resources.. so why bring that up again?

On some level I agree that we need to stay ahead of competitors.. and on this note.. WHY BRING OUR COMPETITORS INTO OUR MIDST TO ALLOW THEM TO LEARN FROM US?

Hiring the FXXking foreigners is like letting the wolf into your home/farm/room... allowing them to have easy access to whatever they can lay their hands on. Plus.. they can learn from how things are done here.. and then tell others that they are "SG trained" and go from here to other places.

Why allow that to happen and make SG ppl lose their competitiveness?!! Is that staying ahead of the competition?!!

I fear that you are another one of those who just take in what the pappies say and you then regurgitate out blindly.

If that's the case, then I understand why you chose the "SAD" as the first word in your nick in this forum.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only reason why ppl compare blindly and overlook facts, (I feel) is because they want to coerce.. persuade... hypnotize.. con.. convince others into what they are saying/selling/preaching/etc.

I see no other reason(s) other than the above.. but if others in this forum has a valid point, I'm willing to listen/hear/read/etc/

To me, if you don't tell the whole story.. then the story loses the impact as the moral of the story would have been lost.

A great speaker would list out the differences, the similarities.. and then do an objective comparison, so that very few can argue that the points made are biased and without facts to back them up. And without facts to back up your argument/talk/speech/presentation/etc.. you might as well be telling tall-tales and fiction or even science fiction, for those who are clear in their thoughts, will see through.

The others who may be clouded or blinded.. may eventually see the truth.. and then get even more upset that what was presented to them.. was not the exact truth. And then.. there will be the ones.. who are forever lost.. whether they choose to be.. or they are too lazy to bother.. or.. the gods help them.. they really lack the intelligence to distinguish fact from fiction.. truth from half-truths and lies..

Whatever it is.. now when I hear ppl make stupid comparisons, i have that urge to shout out, "do a proper comparison.. don't just say in my time.. your time is when coffee or tea is just 50cents, and tv was only in black and white?"

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
why bother with fools? old people made lots of money. flats were dirt cheap. they do not see our problems. and they do not have the mental capacity to understand modern day life either. the next generation is what i'm worried about. 50 yr loan for hdb anyone?