• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

When in Netherlands, do as the natives do...

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Netherlands Tells Immigrants to Learn Dutch or Get Out

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/12/netherlands-to-immigrants-learn-dutch-or-fear-deportation/

Netherlands immigration laws require citizens to pass a difficult test demonstrating Dutch language fluency and cultural knowledge.

For some immigrants, this law is reminiscent of the religious and cultural intolerance that they experienced in their native countries. In this video, Riffat Tahir has been trying to learn Dutch for two years because if she does not authorities may force her to return to Pakistan, where she’d be in danger of religious persecution. Tahir wants to learn but fears she may be too old and ill.

The language test itself is not a new restriction, but earlier this year the government made it much harder to pass, reports Radio Netherlands Worldwide. Though the country was previously known for its tolerance, recent immigration laws have made it one of the strictest in Europe.

As a result, anti-Islamic sentiment builds in the country. Parliamentary leader Geert Wilder says in the video that “Islam is actually a fascist ideology, full of hatred, submission and anything else we should fight against.” Immigration laws are said to preserve Dutch culture, but often feed prejudice. Tahir remarks that she’s noticed a rise in segregation, commenting that she often gets stared at in public for wearing her veil.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Netherlands... the immigrants integrate with the locals or fuck off ... in Singapore, the locals must integrate with the immigrants, or get fucked.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
In Netherlands... the immigrants integrate with the locals or fuck off ... in Singapore, the locals must integrate with the immigrants, or get fucked.

When have the chinks in Singapore ever tried to integrate with the Malays and learn the language? :rolleyes:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
When have the chinks in Singapore ever tried to integrate with the Malays and learn the language? :rolleyes:

Well... the chinks were the immigrants... so the time-tested adage still stands true: in Singapore the locals have always been expected to kowtow to the immigrants, otherwise the locals are marginalized.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We used to speak pasar malay until PAP came along. Even LKY stopped speaking Malay at rallies.

Later, we cannot even teach in Chinese.

:oIo:PAP:oIo:

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinks don't integrate. They form Chinatowns. In Peesai, the whole island is Chinatown, don't like, can fuck off to Pulau Ubin.

Cheers!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, Chinese people coming to Southeast Asia have almost always learnt the Malay Language.

Early immigrants who might have come on some of Admiral Zheng He's voyages adopted Malay as their lingua franc and adapted it. We know that language today as Peranakan Malay.

Immigrants who came in the 19th and 20th centuries also picked up Malay and would use it whenever they communicated with people of other races. I remember well my father speaking to Malay, Indian and even white people in Malay.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, Chinese people coming to Southeast Asia have almost always learnt the Malay Language.

Early immigrants who might have come on some of Admiral Zheng He's voyages adopted Malay as their lingua franc and adapted it. We know that language today as Peranakan Malay.

Immigrants who came in the 19th and 20th centuries also picked up Malay and would use it whenever they communicated with people of other races. I remember well my father speaking to Malay, Indian and even white people in Malay.

And then... in Singapore, the Chinese brought in the Speak Mandarin campaign, and marginalized all the other minority races, including the original native Malays... and today a tiny fraction, if any, Chinese are able to speak or understand Malay.

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Almost entirely correct. The SMC did everything you said but was not the work of the entire Chinese population; it was the PAPzis who did it. Also, little did those Chinese people who supported this Speak Mandarin policy realize that it was really:
  1. laying the groundwork for the subsequent influx of people from PRC designed to displace them
  2. linguistic cleansing designed to uproot Chinese people from their real mother tongues.

And then... in Singapore, the Chinese brought in the Speak Mandarin campaign, and marginalized all the other minority races, including the original native Malays... and today a tiny fraction, if any, Chinese are able to speak or understand Malay.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the very least all singapore immigrants should learn how to speak Wendy.

Reply Fook fook fook foook foook....to anything you dont understand.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But are able to sing. National Anthem is melayu.
Cheers!

Do you understand the meaning?

--------
FT want to change Mari Kita
Source: A letter which was written to Straits Times

MONDAY'S article ('Sung with national pride') about the significance of national anthems - or their irrelevance - spurred my thoughts about our National Anthem.

In all honesty, I almost forgot its title when I tried to recall it; assuming it was Mari Kita (Let Us) because these are the first words, before I remembered that it is Majulah Singapura (Onward Singapore).

Sadly, beyond the title, I have no clue what the rest of the anthem means, despite having sung it every single day from primary school to junior college.

My second problem is that the anthem is in Malay.

If the purpose of a national anthem is to forge national identity and rally citizens towards a common vision or goal, why choose a language that four-fifths of Singaporeans today neither speak nor understand?

Should our National Anthem be updated? The view that doing so would open a Pandora's box of unwelcome controversy framed along sensitive racial lines misses the point.

The problem is not that most Singaporeans do not understand Malay, but that we do not understand what our National Anthem means.

More effort must be made in schools to teach the anthem to students. I remember being cursorily taught its meaning in primary school, with its translation tucked away in an obscure page of a social studies text.

If efforts are not made to impress the meaning and significance of the National Anthem, then generations of students will continue to sing Majulah Singapura every morning without understanding its importance or worth.

Since Chinese is the major demographics in Singapore, I believe that it is fair that Singapore cater a national language that suits the general public.

Grace Zhang (Miss)
--------
How to murder Majulah Singapura

I was mightily embarrassed when the young woman sang Singapore’s national anthem Majulah Singapura at the reception to mark the US Independence Day. She was a young Chinese woman, whose name I didn’t quite catch except for her surname Seow. Through her delivery, she showed how communally insular Singaporeans can be.

After the US Charge d’Affairs (the ambassador’s position is currently vacant) proposed a toast to Singapore’s President Nathan, she came out to sing a capella. She got her notes in pitch (though she did a painful variation of one part), but her diction was quite unbecoming. Not that it was slurred or unclear; it was all too clear. One could hear only too well that she had no clue how to pronounce Malay.

Even if one doesn’t speak Malay, after 12 years of school, surely one should be able to pronounce the words in the national anthem correctly? Surely living in Singapore, one should have developed an ear for the sounds of the Malay language?

Or do we live in isolated cocoons of our racial, linguistic, or maybe even religious groups, never mingling with others nor learning a little of each others’ languages?

The refrain of the national anthem is:

Marilah kita bersatu
Dengan semangat yang baru
Semua kita berseru
Majulah Singapura
Majulah Singapura

She murdered the words “dengan”, “semangat” and “Singapura”. For these words, she pronounced the “n” and the “g” separately, thus “den gan”, “semang gat”, and “sing ga pu ra” when “ng” should be a single consonant nasally delivered.

What an ambassador we had in her.
--------
There you go

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's only fair that immigrants make an attempt to assimilate into the host language and culture. I for one would gladly support making all would-be immigrants sit an English test as English is now official working language in Singapore, and the only language to bind all 4 major ethnic groups here. (Malay is the national language but English has supplanted it as the lingua franca.)

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly... immigrants to Australia must score well in the IELTS. Why not Singapore apply a certain standard to immigrants as well.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
all HOT air.

The Netherlands sign the international refugee law, EU freedom of movements, EU human right charter, all will stop them in their own court of law.
Total bollocks.