• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What should I do when my daughter starts to learn how to swear?

cloudy

Alfrescian
Loyal
My daughter gave me a shock today. While having dinner, I asked how was school today, as it was her first day of school, from the one week break. While telling me about this and that, she suddenly called her friend "that bitch"! I was appalled and told her that's bad language and she shouldn't be using such rude words in her communication with anyone.

I have just put her to her room and kiss her goodnight.

Curious, I just did a search on the internet I am wondering at which age should kids learn to "curse". I found this article below. A scientist has in fact advised that we as parents should teach children swear words instead of them picking up from friends and outsiders.

Should I? Any thoughts on this method? What if she start telling everyone my mother taught me to say words like asshole, bastard, son of a bitch etc? It's pretty embarrassing for me isnt it?

I recall I learn to swear in upper secondary. My daughter is just in upper primary. It doesn't seems right for her to be learning all these "adult" words.

At what age did you start swear? I assume that you boys (or rather men now) surely started this much younger than me.

Any thoughts on this?

‍⚕️‍‍‍⚖️‍‍‍‍

Scientist says parents should teach their children swear words and educate them on their meaning

A scientist wants parents to educate their children on swear words at home and the appropriate time to use them, instead of forbidding them.

Appearing on ITV's Good Morning Britain, Dr Emma Byrne, a neuroscientist and author of “Swearing is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language,” revealed that she believes children as young as two should learn swear words and the impact the words can have from their parents - rather than from their peers on the playground.

“I want to equip parents to cope with that moment of shame and embarrassment of my kid swore in a place that was inappropriate,” she said. “Instead of saying ‘we are going to shut this conversation down,’ talking about why that is inappropriate.”

Before the segment, a reporter had interviewed families about their attitudes towards swearing.

In one of the interviews, a father said: “I don’t think it’s good parenting to let your kids swear.”

His young daughter added that she doesn’t use swear words because “they could affect other people’s feelings.”

According to Dr Byrne, the “little girl” was right because “you have to think about people’s feelings.”

Dr Byrne wants children to learning swear words and their meanings at home.

She then said swearing isn’t “directly correlated with being awful to people. There are ways to be really vile without using a swear word,” such as calling someone ugly or stupid - and it depends on children knowing the impact of their words.

"If we don't talk about swearing with our kids and they learn swearing just from their classmates on the playground, they're not going to have a sense of how swearing affects people's feelings," she concluded Anna Williamson, presenter and life coach on GMB, took offence to Dr Byrne’s suggestion that children should be taught or hear bad words at all, especially at home.

“People take offence to it. Swearing is not socially acceptable. There’s a reason we can’t swear on live TV and it’s because it does offend,” Williamson countered.

Not everyone was convinced by Dr Byrne (ITV)

Williamson also said she understands the point about teaching swearing from an “educational” perspective but “it’s about creating those boundaries particularly in our children,” and that she would be mortified if her child swore in public.

Dr Byrne’s advice divided viewers, however, the majority were against her suggestion that children should learn curse words from their parents.

On a Twitter poll following the episode, 72 per cent of respondents said they did not agree that “it’s wrong to stop children from swearing and that we should instead be teaching kids as young as two the meaning of rude words.”

“I don’t think children should be encouraged to swear… we should teach children good manners and the appropriate way to behave,” one person responded.

Another added: “This woman saying that children should be allowed to swear encapsulates why kids are so messed up these days. She’s effectively saying that manners and discipline have no place in the home.”

Others defended Dr Byrne’s point on the basis that parents should try to teach their children everything.

“You should be teaching them the meaning of everything and explaining what is good or bad,” wrote one person.

cloudy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am now wondering where she had learnt the word "bitch" from that dumb blonde woman of his. Certainly it wasn't me. I don't swear in front of my daughter.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My daughter gave me a shock today. While having dinner, I asked how was school today, as it was her first day of school, from the one week break. While telling me about this and that, she suddenly called her friend "that bitch"! I was appalled and told her that's bad language and she shouldn't be using such rude words in her communication with anyone.

Curious, I just did a search on the internet I am wondering at which age should kids learn to "curse". I found this article below. A scientist has in fact advised that we as parents should teach children swear words instead of them picking up from friends and outsiders.

Should I? Any thoughts on this method? What if she start telling everyone my mother taught me to say words like asshole, bastard, son of a bitch etc? It's pretty embarrassing for me isnt it?

I recall I learn to swear in upper secondary. My daughter is just in upper primary. It doesn't seems right for her to be learning all these "adult" words.

At what age did you start swear? I assume that you boys (or rather men now) surely started this much younger than me.

Any thoughts on this?

‍⚕‍‍‍⚖‍‍‍‍

Scientist says parents should teach their children swear words and educate them on their meaning

A scientist wants parents to educate their children on swear words at home and the appropriate time to use them, instead of forbidding them.

Appearing on ITV's Good Morning Britain, Dr Emma Byrne, a neuroscientist and author of “Swearing is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language,” revealed that she believes children as young as two should learn swear words and the impact the words can have from their parents - rather than from their peers on the playground.

“I want to equip parents to cope with that moment of shame and embarrassment of my kid swore in a place that was inappropriate,” she said. “Instead of saying ‘we are going to shut this conversation down,’ talking about why that is inappropriate.”

Before the segment, a reporter had interviewed families about their attitudes towards swearing.

In one of the interviews, a father said: “I don’t think it’s good parenting to let your kids swear.”

His young daughter added that she doesn’t use swear words because “they could affect other people’s feelings.”

According to Dr Byrne, the “little girl” was right because “you have to think about people’s feelings.”

She then said swearing isn’t “directly correlated with being awful to people. There are ways to be really vile without using a swear word,” such as calling someone ugly or stupid - and it depends on children knowing the impact of their words.

"If we don't talk about swearing with our kids and they learn swearing just from their classmates on the playground, they're not going to have a sense of how swearing affects people's feelings," she concluded Anna Williamson, presenter and life coach on GMB, took offence to Dr Byrne’s suggestion that children should be taught or hear bad words at all, especially at home.

“People take offence to it. Swearing is not socially acceptable. There’s a reason we can’t swear on live TV and it’s because it does offend,” Williamson countered.

Williamson also said she understands the point about teaching swearing from an “educational” perspective but “it’s about creating those boundaries particularly in our children,” and that she would be mortified if her child swore in public.

Dr Byrne’s advice divided viewers, however, the majority were against her suggestion that children should learn curse words from their parents.

On a Twitter poll following the episode, 72 per cent of respondents said they did not agree that “it’s wrong to stop children from swearing and that we should instead be teaching kids as young as two the meaning of rude words.”

“I don’t think children should be encouraged to swear… we should teach children good manners and the appropriate way to behave,” one person responded.

Another added: “This woman saying that children should be allowed to swear encapsulates why kids are so messed up these days. She’s effectively saying that manners and discipline have no place in the home.”

Others defended Dr Byrne’s point on the basis that parents should try to teach their children everything.

“You should be teaching them the meaning of everything and explaining what is good or bad,” wrote one person.
KNN my uncle think best is let your daughter be a Christian if you do not want her to swear KNN

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Swearing is beautiful, the key is knowing when to be civil and when to swear.

Last thing you want to do is tell your kid thou shalt not do this, or thou shalt not do that. The rebellious nature will take over.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Any thoughts on this?

‍⚕‍‍‍⚖‍‍‍‍

swear words are a part of everyday life. No biggie, just accept it. The younger they swear, they faster they'll get sick of it. And learn more advanced swear words and construct sentences. Life is a process of constant self improvement and learning.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I already know how to say CCB, LC and FU in Pri 1.

I was taught those in Pri 3. A classmate taught me. We even exchanged notes compiling all the phrases and dirty jokes. :biggrin:

We also discussed strategies on how to beat the bosses in video games.