• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is wrong with this picture?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Recent news reports make no sense to me at all, unless you factor in the FTs. First, you have a report that the Govt. will open 45 new childcare centres this year. Wow, 45 is a lot, I thought. Than there is an article on overcrowding in Changi Hospital. So overcrowded that patients have to housed in tents while waiting for beds. But how can this be? The population of Singaporeans is stubornly at deficit or 0% growth rate. But you would think that we are having a baby boon with all these new childcare centres being build. At the same time, we have the overcrowding in the hospitals, with the same poulation when there never was a problem before in regards to overcrowding. This overcrowding is the result of a sudden large increase in demand for medical services, inconsistent with a zero growth population. The common denominator is of course, FTs. You have about 3 million singaporeans which would have been comfortable with the existing childcare and hospital facilties. But when you add in 2 million more, the facilities become inadequate. So, what is the point of letting in 2 million FTs? The PAP claims it makes singapore more competitive by lowering wages and what not. But than it costs the govt. more money to provide childcare and hospital services for these type of people. In the end, is it wash? And if is, than why bother importing these FTs?

Changi General Hospital started housing patients waiting for beds in this large air-conditioned tent this week. The 800-bed CGH, along with Tan Tock Seng and Khoo Teck Puat hospitals, has resorted to sending patients to Alexandra, one of the few public hospitals here with spare beds. Health Minister Gan Kim Yong said last night that he was aware of the problem - hence, the push to add 1,900 more acute hospital beds and 2,600 community hospital beds by 2020.

By Priscilla Goy

Some 45 new childcare centres are expected to be built this year islandwide, said Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing on Thursday.

The Government is paying particular attention to Punggol and Sengkang where there are many young families and there is a high demand for childcare services. In Punggol, where there are 30 centres, some 17 centres will be built by end-2017. In neighbouring Sengkang, which has 73 centres, another 19 are expected to be built by end-2017.

Mr Chan said the Government is "on track" in meeting its target of 20,000 more places by 2017, or enough places for one in two children. To increase accessibility of childcare services, he said some centres have been built in existing facilities which are underutilised or integrated with new facilities.

Mr Chan was speaking to reporters at the sidelines of a visit to a PAP Community Foundation Sparkletots centre, located at a multi-storey carpark in Punggol. He later officiated the opening of an NTUC My First Skool centre at Braddell Heights Community Hub in Serangoon, which was formerly a bus interchange.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The govt makes money on every little building or construction project it undertakes: new flats, new hospitals, new schools, new land sales for developers to build condos or malls, HDB flat upgrading, hawker centre upgrading etc. Also, govt expenditure = part of GDP.

Zero population growth is when fertility rate balances out mortality rate. It tells nothing about immigration.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Medical insurance policy could be a cause of shortage of hospital beds. Insurance policy will not pay for scan or scope if the insured is not warded. To circumvent this issue, many get themselves warded just to do a scan or scope or some tests so that they can claim. Doctor and hospital earn more and the ones who suffered are those in real need of being warded and those would didn't go for such medical examinations but still have to bear the increase in insurance premiums caused by such "abuse" of the system.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe this to be the case. I have hospital coverage which only covers if I am hospitalized. Outpatient costs are borne out of my own pocket. So the way around this is to get warded, no matter how trivial the issue might be - that's the advice by the insurance agent.

Cheers!

Medical insurance policy could be a cause of shortage of hospital beds. Insurance policy will not pay for scan or scope if the insured is not warded. To circumvent this issue, many get themselves warded .....

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I believe this to be the case. I have hospital coverage which only covers if I am hospitalized. Outpatient costs are borne out of my own pocket. So the way around this is to get warded, no matter how trivial the issue might be - that's the advice by the insurance agent.

Cheers!

The system is pretty fucked up than. If u have to be hospitalised for even trivial matters, there is not enough hospitals you can build to house every patient.