• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is the rates for CNY Ang Baos?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends On How Rich You Are

For me, it goes like this.

Parents and parents in law: $500 each person
Grandparents: $200 each person

Nieces and nephews: $20 each.

Others: $10 each.

Depending on how rich or how 'how lian' you are. $400 to 800 for parents ?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Depends On How Rich You Are

I dunno what is the 'hung cheng' now......for me i pao my angpaos in $10 per packet......
For those other kids i duuno one......$10. For those closer ones its $20 (2 packets). For the top tier machiam nieces and nephews.......its $40 (4 packets).
My own children parents and in laws.....pao separately.

Just for disucssion sake........the smallest and biggest CNY angpaos i have received from outsiders since i was a kid.......40cents (when i was 3-4 years old) to $1000 (from an ex-boss).

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You have a good boss. My boss gave nothing. Not even $10 for good luck :(

that was almost 10 years ago already.......it was his standard amount to me every year then.....but still remembered till this day.
even at my father in-law funeral....his pek kim was also 1K.....as with my son's wedding angpao.....

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Give an amount you are comfortable with. No need to compare with others. Why give oneself extra stress and pressure during this time of the year?

Ever since my retirement, relatives always asked uncle doing what. I always smile and tell them I am jobless! Maybe this year I will tell them the truth - that I am a professional gambler.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Give an amount you are comfortable with. No need to compare with others. Why give oneself extra stress and pressure during this time of the year?

Ever since my retirement, relatives always asked uncle doing what. I always smile and tell them I am jobless! Maybe this year I will tell them the truth - that I am a professional gambler.

Or consider telling them that you are learning to be a cards magician.

I tell others that I do nothing, go to the gym after breakfast, read the newspapers and surf the internet before and after lunch.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Or consider telling them that you are learning to be a cards magician.

I tell others that I do nothing, go to the gym after breakfast, read the newspapers and surf the internet before and after lunch.

My provision shop owner always very curious about my background. I think he isn't aware I was mata mata before. Always asked me why don't see me in the day and why I only surface at night. And see my returning home in the early hours of the morning when he open shop. Just 2 weeks back, he asked if I was involved in 'phian mng'.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
giving angpows do not generate economy and creative ideas. This is one of the downfalls of Chinese economy.

Buy right local creative Chinese style gifts for the occassion.

Can buy paper Merz, joss sticks, use legal real money to buy dead man fake paper to burn, cant buy gift meh?

Go buy 1 samsung phone for them and teach them to upgrade their lifestyle ....text SMS and go internet to read Sammyboy.

For me, it goes like this.

Parents and parents in law: $500 each person
Grandparents: $200 each person

Nieces and nephews: $20 each.

Others: $10 each.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My provision shop owner always very curious about my background. I think he isn't aware I was mata mata before. Always asked me why don't see me in the day and why I only surface at night. And see my returning home in the early hours of the morning when he open shop. Just 2 weeks back, he asked if I was involved in 'phian mng'.

What is "pjian mng"?

May be you could simply tell him that you work the midnight shift as a security guard?