• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Is NEW About Your NEW EZ-Link Card?

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, I must warn readers the term ‘Big Fucks’ is going to be used a lot here. I find it a more economical and better expression for ‘So what? Been done before, and better’.

Today my cash card died out on me. Today being a Sunday saved me a fine if I had gone through the few ERP gantries on a working day. I thought the reader in my car had malfunctioned so I made a slight detour to the nearest Vicom center but it was closed. OK, can’t begrudge anyone resting on a Sunday. Then I went to the nearest MRT station to get the new EZ-Link card, having remembered that it can be used for a whole array of new functions, including ERP deductions.

The tanned service person informed me, with a sunny smile, that the New EZ-Link card is not on sale at her booth, and that it can’t be used in the vehicle in-unit until later in the year, and no, they don’t sell the new card, only replaces lost cards and tops up values. You buy the new card at the other booth, which will be in operation later on today and no, she doesn't know the exact time, she smiled brightly. Here, have a brochure as she handed me a nicely designed flyer headlining ‘WHAT’S NEW ABOUT YOUR NEW ADULT ez-link card?’ Sigh.

The first highlight of the brochure reads NO TRAVEL DEPOSIT. Big fuck! Previously there was a deposit of $2 which is refundable. Now you must have a minimum of $3. How is that different? And how does that become a selling point? FYI, the Hong Kong Octopus Card lets you spend in excess to HK$35 (S$6.82).

Second highlight – CAN BE USED IN THE NEXT GENERATION IN-VEHICLE UNIT. Big fuck! Hello, the Cash Card from Nets has this feature from years ago and this feature becomes available only in the 2nd quarter? I shake my head.

Third highlight - $500.00 MINIMUM STORED VALUE. And you can insure its loss for 15 cents a day too. Big fuck! I fail to see how are they going to reimburse customers who pay cash for it? ‘Hello, I lost my card with $499 in it, when can you reimburse me hah?’ Oh, the 15 cts also insure against misuse of your credit cards too. Does this mean topping up online is susceptible to fraud? Someone, oh please, advise me how this works.

But, really, the increased stored value $500 would be a lot more welcomed in China. The Jiaotong cards are used widely greasing palms. No trace, nothing (I don't what the stored value limit of the Jiaotong Card). In whistle-clean Singapore, well, we are supposedly well-paid enough not to succumb to such petty temptations, the elites, anyway.

Imagine, if only a million citizens (PRs included in this category) store $500 each, that’s a staggering half billion smackeroos. Guess who is going to earn serious interest on that, not you peasants, that's for sure. Goddam, these LTA people are good!

I quickly scan through the brochure for any groundbreaking revelations seeing as how the 2 ‘NEW’s in <What’s NEW about your NEW adult ez-link card> were in 48pt font Ferrari red, but found only a reference to the new Singapore Standard for Contactless ePurse Applications (CEPAS).

111.jpg

Is this another first for Singapore? I decided to do a little researching. On the IDA website it says CEPAS is developed in-house (see below).

cepas.jpg

Note the words ‘develop’ and ‘world’s first’. Wah! Great job! Another Singapore first! Damm, my chest swelled with pride.

Then, I Wiki Octopus Card and this turns up:

octopus.jpg

Hmmm… the technology has been around since 1993. The MTR did not develop the technology ‘in-house’, Wiki goes on to clarify. The system was developed by an Australian-based company ERG Group based on the technology called FeliCa which was developed by Sony. Ah, it all becomes clear now.

You know, there has never been shame in adopting an idea. Really. It’s been done for as long as man has been around. You adopt something that is useful, and you improve on it. But adopting something and calling it your own? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Worse, adopting something and coming up with a lousier version? Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk!

Why do I say lousier? Make your own judgement.

compare.jpg

About the heading on the brochure, if you read it in a different tone, you’ll get what they are really, really trying to say.

‘What’s (the fucks is) NEW about your NEW adult ez-link card????!!’

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
the most stupid of all is....you need to have at least a certain amount of money in the card....gone are the days where ur old card allows u to have negative sum...if u do not have enuf fund in the card...card cannot be used.....KNS

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Be warned...the new EZlink card still cannot be updated using the MRT stations machines, though some have been upgraded. You can not top up or use the new EZlink card at 7-11 etc...their systems have not been updated.

Wonder, what did they do, between the time, the announced the new card & the issuance date?...sleeping, I guess!!

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be warned...the new EZlink card still cannot be updated using the MRT stations machines, though some have been upgraded. You can not top up or use the new EZlink card at 7-11 etc...their systems have not been updated.

Wonder, what did they do, between the time, the announced the new card & the issuance date?...sleeping, I guess!!

These are minor hiccups and will be resolved in time.

I just can't but wonder how much unnecessary funds was poured into the 'research and development'. How many FT's were kept in employment 'developing' this new wonder card?

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was in Shanghai recently and guess what? They use cash card for taxis, buses and other purchases! And here... My God...

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was in Shanghai recently and guess what? They use cash card for taxis, buses and other purchases! And here... My God...

Such cards, although probably not the contactless ones, are already used in Beijing in 2000 when I was stationed there, for taxis, convenience stores etc.

Now if you take an existing technology, remove some functions (as against improving on it in this case), give it a fancy acronym, and you claim it your own, that smells mightily like plagiarism to me.

As Russell Peters said in his sketch, 'Be a man, do the right thing'. Funny guy, him.

Acknowledge the ownership and give due credit. And pay the royalties, if any is due. It's cheaper than reinventing the wheel.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's A fucking TRACKING DEVICE. That is what is NEW!

They can trace you via satellite, mobile phone cells, Wi-Fi....

Akin to planting that small chip in the new card under your skin.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
So next time when you are having lunch or tea with opposition people, they will know who you are.

When a crime is committed in a certain area, they will know who has been in that 50 feet radius.

So as far as I am concerned, "Just Leave Home Without It" or confuse the whole system by swapping your card with a friend than continue swapping it around a few more times.

But if you end up with your own card at the end of all the swaps, you better go buy 4D. No lah, take down the number of your original card and make sure the swapping down the raod is not yours being returned to original owner.

gts82

This new CEPAS-compliant card is a sham... The old Sony cards allow me to hold out longer until I can re-value the card. Because of my extreme financial limitations, I do not even have enough money to last even a week. They say new CEPAS card is more versatile. The old Sony cards can also be used for retail. QBLink could have upgraded their contactless payment to handle deposits (read: to allow the transcation to eat into the deposit). This is just like the time EZ-link needlessly replaced the green single-trip tickets with the Standard Tickets (complete with the refundable $1 deposit - unnecessary and expensive - I really am THAT cash-strapped). EZ-link and QBLink are definitely out to get me. I want to sue them. I must sue them for at least a 12-figure sum until they are shut down and their staff become emotionally broken.