• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what is going thru the minds of ex-WP members now? kicking themselves now?

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
farking stewpig to quit the 2nd most sucessful party on the cusp of their success??? what were they thinking ?

this thread is directed to Goh Meng Seng, James Gomez, Eric Tan, Tan Wui-Hua, Abdul Salim, Lee Wai Leng, Perry Tong Tzee Kwang, Brandon Siow Wei-Min and Chia Tik Lik

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
farking stewpig to quit the 2nd most sucessful party on the cusp of their success??? what were they thinking ?

this thread is directed to Goh Meng Seng, James Gomez, Eric Tan, Tan Wui-Hua, Abdul Salim, Lee Wai Leng, Perry Tong Tzee Kwang, Brandon Siow Wei-Min and Chia Tik Lik

I don't think its fair to lump all these people together. Some in your list won't feel sour grapes at all. JG won't look back because he know he cannot fit into WP, and if he's really after the parliamentary seat he won't choose to be in SDP "B" team.

Eric Tan quit on his own accord out of anger. Whether he will regret it, too soon to say, but given his character, I don't think so. His personality is not the flippant type, albeit quite arrogant. After 10 years, kenna push aside by a young turk (no offence to GG, I feel GG is a rising star), anyone will be drained.

The only person who will really regret is GMS. The king of sour grapes.

Most of your list, they knew even they try to stay on, also no chance. Only GMS will maintain his self denial and keep on attacking his former party.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
In addition to what TFBH has said, I think it is presumptive to assert that they are all "ex-WP members".

Of the 9, 6 have openly cut ties, so we all know. 5 before GE 2011 and 1 after - Eric Tan. Obviously, he is unlikely to regret it because saw the victories, but won't have anything to do with what he also saw as unfair decision and treatment.

Of the 5, 3 went and then left NSP - unlikely to regret since they had no staying power. I agree with TFBH that Gomez would feel happier in SDP, nor do I think CTL found he could fit into WP anyway and even got the chance to lead his own-formed party.

That leaves 3. TWH has an illustrous career and is probably not bothered to officially resign. The other 2, I recall seeing them with Huat and Giam in a photo last year and thought they would return to East Coast, but eventually did not. That fuels speculation that they were dropped but I don't see any reason why WP would do so. Perry later turned out to be the proposer of the MK GRC team - it is no insider info and can be seen in the gazette. So I think the 3 are still members.

At the end, I think none regretted.

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only person who will really regret is GMS. The king of sour grapes.

Agreed. If GMS had swallowed his pride & stopped blabbering on the old Delphi forum, Sylvia Lim would have forgiven him, she had to stop all WP members from participating in online forums due to GMS.

GMS would be enjoying his $15,000 monthly salary if he had soldiered on together with Sylvia Lim to take on Aljunied. Instead, 2 new comers Chen Show Mao & Pritam Singh became shooting stars overnight during the campaign period & continue to do so.

Political fates are very indeed very transient & fragile.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing ...

I just always thot that people who join OPP do it for self interest ... so I ask this bery valid kwestion

By the same token, I always thot that people who are against OPP do it for self interest.... so I just make this bery valid point

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most do no leave on their own accord. They leave because the signal was given or they were told that they were not up to it. By choosing Giam, the message to Eric was that he was not good enough. I am sure the voters would agree. I am sure that LTK and CEC knew full well that he was likely to leave.

Some do not leave despite not being put on the slate because they have no other place to go. They accept their position in life and contribute in other ways.

Politics is not a job or a hobby. People leaving, not part of the slate or the role they play in the party is very much up to the Secretary General or in some cases the power brokers. The individual has little say or power over their own political fate.

As more quality candidates come to the fore, the lesser ones will feel unfairly marginalised. The hardest part is when quality candidates turn on the 11th hour and still get a place in the slate. Its not a pretty sight but its the same world all around where democratic politics is in play.

I know of people in other countries that have worked for over 20 years to replace their mentor in a constituency who is going to retire only to be told that a candidate from elsewhere will come in.

Until 2006, if you had money for deposit, you equal partner with the party. No anymore. Too many offers. Good parties can pick and choose. Even Gomez found that he was no longer suitable.

Self interest also comes into play. Quite a mix.

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most do no leave on their own accord. They leave because the signal was given or they were told that they were not up to it.

are you sure ???? Goh Meng Seng, James Gomez, Chia Tik Lik, Tan Wui-Hua were in the core leadership ... Chia Tik Lik was suppose to be best thing to happen to opp since sliced bread, these 4 choose to leave almost immediately after 06 ..... James Gomez was asst sec gen, a post since left vacant.... was he not good enough?

they were given the core leadership pos and they choose to leave straight after GE2006 ... show they are in it for self interest isnt it???

Abdul Salim, Lee Wai Leng left once they were kick out of CEC right?? again show they were after power right....?

as for Perry Tong Tzee Kwang, Brandon Siow Wei-Min, I have no ideas? I just put their name there to make up numbers

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
are you sure ???? Goh Meng Seng, James Gomez, Chia Tik Lik, Tan Wui-Hua were in the core leadership ... Chia Tik Lik was suppose to be best thing to happen to opp since sliced bread, these 4 choose to leave almost immediately after 06 ..... James Gomez was asst sec gen, a post since left vacant.... was he not good enough?

they were given the core leadership pos and they choose to leave straight after GE2006 ... show they are in it for self interest isnt it???

Abdul Salim, Lee Wai Leng left once they were kick out of CEC right?? again show they were after power right....?

as for Perry Tong Tzee Kwang, Brandon Siow Wei-Min, I have no ideas? I just put their name there to make up numbers
WAH, I IMPRESSED.
you seem to have more than a passing interest, your array of Opp activist names shows your awareness...

keep it up, brocoli :cool: useful thread...

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

In party politics the chief does not go around saying "you're fired" unless you committed a very serious offence. He just excludes you from meetings, committees, and other responsibilities, to let you know that you're not up to the mark and no longer appreciated around the premises. Suddenly you find you're not in the loop, not told about things, not given proper directions, etc. That's the subtle way.

Another approach is, let say you're running a team of 5 men, but you are expected to do with X amount of resources, and everything must be vetted by committee first. Another team of 4 men has 2X amount of resources, and they have more leeway than you in terms of vetting. After a while, you get the idea, right?

In the case of GMS, he was sidelined by LTK well before he quitted. The internet thing about CEC members not using real names in forums is just an excuse. It was the only politically correct thing he could have told the media.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
brocoli, self awareness is crucial in life and politics, especially in ypap. hohohoho...

People are expected to prove themselves, but wave after wave of sai gangs is surely a sign that one has hit the glass ceiling. Either move on or adjust expectations and accept your place in the world. Sad but true, applicable everywhere, not just in politics.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technically speaking, our usual political correspondents have it right. But in Singapore, no party (other than PAP) can field a full slate of candidates. Therefore, the situations portrayed are not that exact when it comes to the oppos.

Contrariwise, these depicted situations reflect the PAP's situations rather accurately.

In the opposition, unless for the really bizarre, many people can be candidates. It depends on whether they are candidates in a "normal" place, or a more "favourable" place with a tenure of vice chairman or CEC member or youthwing president within the 5 years thrown in.

Some people can live with (1). After all if I win I become MP, doesn't matter if I hold any posts.

Some thrive on (2) and would go to a smaller party that gives 2 even if it reduces my chance of winning. I get to charter the entire direction and strategy as well. For that matter, as a leader of a smaller party if I become one, my winning chances are equal to a secondary team in a more popular party, so why not.

I would think Brocoli is right - if GMS, CTL, Gomez stayed with WP, they would be candidates in 2016, other factors aside. There is no reason why not since WP is still far from 87 candidates target. And why did WP from 2006 to 2011 only add 3 more to the slate, if it weren't partly due to turnover.

In opposition politics, there is everything to lose and nothing to gain. Leaving shouldn't be seen as peculiar or necessarily being disfavoured.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would think Brocoli is right - if GMS, CTL, Gomez stayed with WP, they would be candidates in 2016, other factors aside. There is no reason why not since WP is still far from 87 candidates target. And why did WP from 2006 to 2011 only add 3 more to the slate, if it weren't partly due to turnover.

In opposition politics, there is everything to lose and nothing to gain. Leaving shouldn't be seen as peculiar or necessarily being disfavoured.

I seriously have a lot to thank for, thank goodness GMS, CTL or JG didn't become my MPs. I would have voted PAP just not to let these clowns try again in this GE.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
brocoli, self awareness is crucial in life and politics, especially in ypap. hohohoho...

People are expected to prove themselves, but wave after wave of sai gangs is surely a sign that one has hit the glass ceiling. Either move on or adjust expectations and accept your place in the world. Sad but true, applicable everywhere, not just in politics.

I am not sure what you mean by glass ceiling ..... or sai gang ????

Then, Second assistant secretary-general James Gomez, 41, choose to fly to Sweden straight after elections....and give up his CEC post
Mr Tan Wui-Hua also choose give up his WP Youth Wing president post...
Chia Ti Lik retained his post of assistant organising secretary in the 1st CEC election after GE
Goh Meng Seng was also a CEC member...

the 1st 3 was on paper much more qualified than many of the current WP candidates....

Chia Ti Lik was a yandao kia .... more yandao than gerald ... and already a lawyer while Pritam was only a law student....
James Gomez was already a PhD compare with Yaw ....

opp is all about sai gangs .... ... look at Yaw... he seem to enjoy sai gangs like washing toilets for residents...
Lee LiLian look like she can do a lot of sai gangs too....

the difference is the quitter decide to stop doing sai gangs

in terms of credentials... they dun lose out to latest batch of WP candidates... the only difference is they choose to quit after laying down the foundation ...

of course WP members can correct me.. i am only a observer

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
bump for goh meng seng...

Pariah of singapore political scene, reduce to hawking his ware on TOC, a platform that Gerald and andrew dun even give a fuck about

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Actually, this list is not exhaustive. One prime suspect missing is Melvin Tan, who left but went back into WP again. Most probably he regretted leaving in the first place thus, just walked back again. Tony Tan also left WP but he performed relatively well as a new candidate, though he could have done even better if he had made the right choice of constituency to fight.

For me, it was great experience and I wouldn't have the good opportunity to get to do all the things I enjoy doing. Some people would have regretted not to have the opportunity to join WP to stand as candidates and some even thought that they could have gained more if they stood under WP. Frankly speaking, there isn't "if" in politics.

Some have felt that Nicole might have won if she stood under WP banner but that is greatly mistaken. Nicole's media talent would have buried if she stood under WP, just like Angela in Yishun. She will not be given the full opportunity for media exposures as she had enjoyed in NSP and definitely, she will not be who she is right now. It is really naive to make such suggestions.

Goh Meng Seng

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, this list is not exhaustive. One prime suspect missing is Melvin Tan, who left but went back into WP again. Most probably he regretted leaving in the first place thus, just walked back again. Tony Tan also left WP but he performed relatively well as a new candidate, though he could have done even better if he had made the right choice of constituency to fight.

For me, it was great experience and I wouldn't have the good opportunity to get to do all the things I enjoy doing. Some people would have regretted not to have the opportunity to join WP to stand as candidates and some even thought that they could have gained more if they stood under WP. Frankly speaking, there isn't "if" in politics.

Some have felt that Nicole might have won if she stood under WP banner but that is greatly mistaken. Nicole's media talent would have buried if she stood under WP, just like Angela in Yishun. She will not be given the full opportunity for media exposures as she had enjoyed in NSP and definitely, she will not be who she is right now. It is really naive to make such suggestions.

Goh Meng Seng

good post, I think you write good post when you arent squabbling with these faceless idiots......

what is the main reason people left??? please exclude yourself and chia ti lik, is it groupthink ??

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
good post, I think you write good post when you arent squabbling with these faceless idiots......

what is the main reason people left??? please exclude yourself and chia ti lik, is it groupthink ??

why kuku idol copy my thread???