• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if..... current Opp candidates join force have ability to form government?

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope it does not happen until the old man pass away. He is totally medieval in his thinking. Expect purges ala cultural revolution in China. Then in 2015, they get 99% of the vote cus the rest have become fish food.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem with the opposition is they can't agree on anything. Heck they can't even agree with themselves. It's far more likely a strong opposition has to emerge then them forming a coalition

they can't agree on anything when it is against their own interests.

I'm sure that they can instantly agree everything and form the next govt if they have enough seats. they now share common interests.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
What if luckily PAP is been voted out this election, Can current opposition candidate have the ability to form a government?

WP agrees with the form and substance of the PAP govt as they have demonstrated time and time again. So it is very likely in the event they form the majority in a new govt, the rule of the island will be similar to PAP.

There is something else Sylvia Lim said that smacks double-talk (besides the YSL affair) and needs to be questioned. SL said the opposition (collectively) should try and win 30 seats at least to block constitutional amendment and deny PAP the 2/3 PAP majority.

Let us assume, this goal is achieved coming elections with the opposition winning 30 seats in total with say the WP, winning 12-15 seats of the 30. Plausible, after all, WP is Ah Beng's favorite political party.

In the event, the PAP would want to pass a constitutional amendment, that opposition MPs oppose, what are the odds that PAP and WP would work out a deal (horse trading) with WP voting with the PAP to push the constitution through?

Ex WP member, Vincent Sear, has already stated in the 3-in-1 forum when challenged, should the PAP not have the majority in parliament, the WP will most likely form a coalition with PAP against the other opposition parties.

Isn't it then possible to wonder likewise, if the opposition collectively deny PAP the 2/3 majority; WP for all the pre-election talk, might just vote with the PAP ranks to break down that 2/3 majority?

-

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are politicians wannabe

Once they get power, they will not talk like they are servants to you anymore

Get real

There is no difference between PAP and opposition members

I'm sure that they can instantly agree everything and form the next govt if they have enough seats. they now share common interests.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Get real

For a flavour of how the some of the Worker's Party members comprising Melvin, Marcus, Andrew, GMS and Jacys behaved right after the 2006 elections, here are 4 threads for the benefit of those who would like to make an informed decision.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sammyboymod/messages?msg=116139.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/sammyboymod/messages?msg=124570.23
http://forums.delphiforums.com/sammyboymod/messages?msg=121668.30
http://forums.delphiforums.com/sammyboymod/messages?msg=123585.203

You just need to create an account to log in to the old forum. Takes less than 5 min.
-

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yes, I agree.

right now, we need as many elected oppositions mp as possible to reduce pap overwhelming dominance of parliament for our own interests. one shouldn't harbor any illusions about political parties or politicians in general - pap, wp or anyone else.
when they need your vote, they are your servants. after elections, they treat you like dogs.

btw, are you voting for PAP or WP in Upper Serangoon Ave.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, I agree.

right now, we need as many elected oppositions mp as possible to reduce pap overwhelming dominance of parliament for our own interests. one shouldn't harbor any illusions about political parties or politicians in general - pap, wp or anyone else.
when they need your vote, they are your servants. after elections, they treat you like dogs.

This is where yet another contradiction arises. If politicians regardless of stripe are self serving, how would it serve the people's interest in voting more opposition MPs? Clearly WP as evidenced by their numerous speeches, over the years, not just recent ones, have shown to be more in alignment with the PAP then with other opposition parties. They even seem to prefer to vote for PAP candidates over SDP ones.

Wouldn't it then be plausible that WP might join forces with PAP, to push through any amendments blocked by other opposition members for their own interests and political gain to neutralizing whatever number advantage the opposition collectively may have, rather than to serve the people's interest first?

-

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, I agree.

I'm no longer have voting rights

From what I heard, lots of Singaporeans in California aren't voting
as the closest balloting center is in DC

Don't trust politicians too much
They can't give you a job or a free house

What you need in this globalized world are strong technical skills or specialized training or strong alma-mater brand-name
Once you have any of these, you won't suffer no matter where you go.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Therein lies the other problem with the coalition. They do not really believe in each other's policy, the only agree with it because the other guy is going against it even if it is a wrong one.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is where yet another contradiction arises. If politicians regardless of stripe are self serving, how would it serve the people's interest in voting more opposition MPs? Clearly WP as evidenced by their numerous speeches, over the years, not just recent ones, have shown to be more in alignment with the PAP then with other opposition parties. They even seem to prefer to vote for PAP candidates over SDP ones.

Wouldn't it then be plausible that WP might join forces with PAP, to push through any amendments blocked by other opposition members for their own interests and political gain to neutralizing whatever number advantage the opposition collectively may have, rather than to serve the people's interest first?

-

look at it from another POV.

WP might join forces or go against PAP for their political interests and vote against unpopular PAP bills to score political points among Singaporeans.

e.g. PAP lacking 2/3 parliament majority decide to amend the GRC law to 10 seats GRC. WP can ally with PAP to break down 2/3 majority but they probably chose to vote with rest of oppositions against the amendment because 10 seats GRC is to their disadvantage as well.

ktc5972

Alfrescian
Loyal
:eek::eek::eek: omg :eek::eek::eek:

you mean the youngest lee is going to be our future PM?

If Madam Tin can be the future Education Minister in 10 years, why not? But I think, the young lee's cup of tea is not politics but something else..... right now the PAP is telling you & me that they will appointed Tom/Dick/Tin of their choice & your just have to cast your votes if not.............

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

-

I shall support WP joining forces with PAP to block SDP proposals like abolishing death penalty or legalizing unnatural sex.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at it from another POV.

WP might join forces or go against PAP for their political interests and vote against unpopular PAP bills to score political points among Singaporeans.

e.g. PAP lacking 2/3 parliament majority decide to amend the GRC law to 10 seats GRC. WP can ally with PAP to break down 2/3 majority but they probably chose to vote with rest of oppositions against the amendment because 10 seats GRC is to their disadvantage as well.

For that to happen WP's political interest will have to align with the people's interest. Apart from blocking amendments to election bill for their own benefit, I do not see where else such common interest will arise. Even then with the likes of unprincipled kosher politicians in the mold of Yaw Shin Leong and even SL and LTK for that matter, it will be very easy for the PAP to co-opt 1 or 2 of the WP members into their ranks and break the 2/3 majority.

The WP has no clear vision or sound principles to stand on. This is the crux of the problem and as such their ranks can be easily broken down by carrots and horse-trading.

-

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
I shall support WP joining forces with PAP to block SDP proposals like abolishing death penalty or legalizing unnatural sex.

Good. Now apart from losing the support of new citizens and minorities, WP can now add the LGBT community to the list of people who will not vote for them.

By the way, do read the WP manifesto, they are for abolishing the mandatory death penalty; followed by first SDP and RP in that order. Perhaps WP intends to change its spots after denting PAP's 2/3 majority and rescind on their election promises?

-

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, do read the WP manifesto, they are for abolishing the mandatory death penalty; followed by first SDP and RP in that order. Perhaps WP intends to change its spots after denting PAP's 2/3 majority and rescind on their election promises?-

I need to correct myself here. WP does not support the death penalty be it mandatory or not. This is what WP spokesman, Mr. Singh, had to say at the unveiling of the WP manifesto :-

When replying to a question from TheOnlineCitizen on whether the party supported the death penalty, Mr. Singh said the social barometer as far as Singaporeans are concerned is not leaning towards the removal of the death penalty.

So what does the WP really believe in and stand for?

How does one know if elected, they will deliver what they say they would, if they base their ideology not on sound principles but on whatever happens to be the political mood of the day?

-

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
So what does the WP really believe in and stand for?
-

If you accept the fact that in a democratic system, the job of the govt is to implement and administer the wishes of the electorate, then what the WP is saying is absolutely acceptable. Simply put, it's saying that it will gauge support for the death penalty and formulate policy accordingly.

If a ANY political party simply shoves its policies down the throats of the electorate regardless of what the people want, then what's the difference between that party and the incumbents?:rolleyes:

For matters such as the death party, the best way of deciding should the WP be in the driving seat would be to conduct a nation wide referendum on the issue.

ktc5972

Alfrescian
Loyal

May I ask why your support for WP joining forces with PAP is just based on to just block merely the proposals of abolishing death penalty or legalizing unnatural sex.

First of all they are merely proposals so it is still a very long way before it can be passed as a bill by the parliament. It is just at its infancy stage.
Abolishing the death penalty is not all a bad proposal. Take a minute to think about first, why they are not right for a well educated & liberal society like us. The way humans in the past always used fear on another human with pain & death to acquire their land. Wars were fought to kill the occupiers to conquer lands by the strongest tribe. We are a civil & complex society now. There are laws to protect the people & entity. It is contradicting for the same law that protects the life of a person has also the right to take it from him. If you are a religious (not all religion) person, such an authority should be only Gods’, they believe only God can gives a life & takes it. The law is not above or equal to God. The law is a tool for man-kind. Such a tool is operated by men, so in essence it is the men taking another man’s life. The issue here is not at all on the severity of the crime committed. A murder is one such crime & it seems only fair that a person who commits murder shall be given the “death” penalty. In my books, when a society has reached a status like Singapore’s it should have compassion & allow the person who committed the crime to die a natural death with regret & remorse, that is the most severe punishment for a person in a lifetime. To think about it, death frees a man from such a punishment of lifelong. Nobody is above the law & no law should be there to take a person’s life. Singapore can financially afford life-term sentences (the most severe punishment). If a prisoner shows no remorse than make his life in prison miserable until he feels remorseful.

I strongly do not believe in corporal punishments for anybody, not to mention children. The schools have adopted it in Singapore but the law have they. In countries like France, it is a crime to beat ones’ own children. I think corporal punishments are not be used against children in schools because of Singaporean, Mentality. The teacher has no right to hit a child because it is their (the parents) right & to safe “face”. Laws should be there to protect a child even from biological parents’ corporal punishments. A “broken” child is hard to be healed & will view the society at a different angle.
Now, laws on “unnatural sex”, please, come to the point. If such a law is really passed, I guess today quite a number of married-men will be in the jail should their wives comes clean. You know what I am driving my point at. Marriage of same-sex, is passed in UK & some US states & EU. Ask yourself why? Talking from a sales point of view? When there is a Demand for a product, surely the product will sell & manufacturers will capitalise on the Market. The country has an obligation to treat everyone equally so there shouldn’t be any discriminating policy. If a policy failed to be applicable to a particular sector of people than it is not a fair policy, it is biased. Allowing this group of people to get married is one such matter & it will bring Singapore towards a true Democratic path. Being Gay is an individual’s choice, even the parents have to respect this choice & not lose their children. It is a bitter pill for the parent to swallow but in the long term, it only strengths the relationship with their child. If the government can help the gay community by treating them equally, it will certainly help them overcome a lot of matters which they find it hard right now.

Try to have an open-mind & just only think. Only thinking from the perspective of the subject will allow your thoughts to run wild & liberate you capacity.

Last edited: