• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What has Chee Soon Juan acheieved

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not like LKY but I have great respect for his machiavellian strategies although I must say that he appears to have been below par for sometime now by apparently making some bad calls eg. going after James Gomez in GE2006 and unnecessarily taking the stand in his recent libel damages hearing against Dr Chee when I don't think he needed to and once again provided Dr Chee with unnecessary free publicity.

As for libel laws and LKY's use of them, I suggest you go read the forward in one of JBJ's books (sorry I can't at the moment recall which one, I think it was the "Hatchet" book) where a late distinguished libel english silk practitioner, who once acted for JBJ, indirectly provided a succinct explanation on the libel law regime in Singapore, which he opined was probably right and correct legally. So all is fair in love and war and politics is a very dirty serious game since time immemorial.

You want to raise "legitimate questions" can, just make sure you cross the Ts and dot the Is with a fine legal toothcomb before doing so. Always keep in mind the depth and width of the 'sting' of libel:wink:

Like LKY, you are in favour of using the courts to silence opposition politicians who raise legitimate questions.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on present PAP controlled electoral system Dr Chee stands no chance, but if this system is reformed and transformed then he stands a good chance. I think that in a nutshell that is what Dr Chee claims or something along those lines. For instance see Hugo's article. There appear to be alot of 'nuggets' in there.:p
Could you elaborate a bit more?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Society does not exist in a vacuum and like you yourself said in an earlier post, "change is the only constant". Dr Chee may well be a catalyst of sorts, but I don't think he is the only catalyst or for that matter the key vital catalyst.

Chee is the catalyst that make all these happens. Without someone being the driving force, you think things will move by themselves?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
And therein lies the critical fundamental difference between Anwar and Dr Chee. Anwar is a proven shrewd canny cunning political operator. Dr Chee clearly lacks such skills or political gravitas for that matter. Like I keep telling you, Dr Chee appears to be quite a good activist but I think that is about it.

Oh you might have forgotten that Anwar was a former minister in the govt and the huge injustices he suffered has to a large extent helped his political comeback.

Chee chose to go to jail as a matter of principle. Popularity moves up and down. It applies to PAP as much as to SDP.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well then I think Dr Chee and SDP shall remain an abysmal failure as a politician and political party regardless of the political landscape in Singapore.

Chee and SDP have done much to push the political boundaries. How much further he can push remains to be seen. It is still too early to draw your conclusion.

SDP and other political parties such as WP, SPP, NSP all didn't achieve much success at the ballot box. This is mainly due to the lopsided electoral contest which SDP has been trying to change.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
You want to raise "legitimate questions" can, just make sure you cross the Ts and dot the Is with a fine legal toothcomb before doing so. Always keep in mind the depth and width of the 'sting' of libel:wink:

Libel laws should not be abused and used to protect the state and its officials from public opinion or criticism.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Society does not exist in a vacuum and like you yourself said in an earlier post, "change is the only constant". Dr Chee may well be a catalyst of sorts, but I don't think he is the only catalyst or for that matter the key vital catalyst.

Chee provides the much needed leadership and direction. You need someone to crystallise and Chee is that guy.

My personal opinion is that Chee is the main actor all this while.

Last edited:

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
And therein lies the critical fundamental difference between Anwar and Dr Chee. Anwar is a proven shrewd canny cunning political operator. Dr Chee clearly lacks such skills or political gravitas for that matter. Like I keep telling you, Dr Chee appears to be quite a good activist but I think that is about it.

We shall see ....

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee appears to be a change agent, however he appears to be but just one of the change agents/factors in the mix.

Chee provides the much needed leadership and direction. You need someone to crystallise and Chee is that guy.

My personal opinion is that Chee is the main actor all this while.