• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What does choLesteroL LeveL 338 means ?..

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. I think it's a combination of the Lipitor and your changes in life-style - diet and exercise. The drop is rather dramatic. I don't think exercise alone can bring the Total Cholesterol to that level. What about your High Density and Low Density levels. I am sure the High Density go up and the Low Density must have gone down??? Thank you for sharing.

Hi kopiuncle, HDL now 42 and LDL now 64.

Dont remember what were the previous scores but I think the good cholesterol was still good previously (maybe because I eat a lot of salmon and fish) but my bad cholesterol was not good, so the old ratio was also high.

Anyway, the current scores were definitely a big improvement and was a surprise to myself as well.

I think finding a sport that one likes is a big must as otherwise it is difficult to sustain.
Eating sensibly is easier, as one gets older (and wiser?), I noticed that myself and people around me tend to choose a healthier diet and smaller portions, with the occasional indulgences.

Hopefully can be "wean"ed off Lipitor... and still have a good number below 200.

Max

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro I'm no medical expert but I really think that 338 that you obtained should be reduced..

Watch your diet.. Really important to watch what you eat daily.. Take good care of yourself..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many thanks to aLL the brothers here for your concerns..reaLLy appreciate it..but at the same time some of your repLies' reaLLy make me feeL Liked i am going to have a fareweLL party tomorrow ! !..:eek::biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many thanks to aLL the brothers here for your concerns..reaLLy appreciate it..but at the same time some of your repLies' reaLLy make me feeL Liked i am going to have a fareweLL party tomorrow ! !..:eek::biggrin:

Please don't feel so despair. My Total Cholesterol ,my bad cholesterol and my triglyerides were very high and my good cholesterol was very low. After taking some medications, and totally modify my diet and do some exercises, my blood profile returned to normal.

It's good that we are aware of our cholesterol level. Early intervention is good. Life style modification helps - not only your cholesterol but also your blood pressure and also reduce your weight. Don't worry too much.Seek early treatment and do something to reduce the blood cholesterol.Take care.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just received my medicaL report today, aLL ok; except for this 338 number..to which my physician
suggested to put me on fenofibrates..shouLd i ?..:confused:
As i come from a famiLy with history of high choLesteroL readings, shouLd i be wary too much then..
:cool:
Are you not feeling well? If nothing wrong, go see doctor for fxxk? And worry yourself with these numbers. Just make sure you have sufficient medical insurance can liaoz.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Becoming vegetarian can help fight high cholesterol
by JOHN SCHUMANN, MD on March 5th, 2010in PHYSICIAN
I made a New Year’s resolution to become a vegetarian. Or a mostly vegetarian.

I’ve been thinking about it for a long time, but with young children who love meat and don’t have the broadest palates, I think it’s important to feed them protein any way I can get it in them.

Having passed 40, I’ve finally realized that I can no longer eat what I want with impunity. Further, as a doctor, I believe in practicing what I preach, and my legs could no longer straddle the gap between action and rhetoric.

That, and I hit 192 lbs. on the gym scale.

I calculated my own BMI at 26, edging toward 27. I was officially overweight, just like two-thirds of Americans.

I have a sweet tooth. I’ve been known to polish off a whole plate of cookies, a la Ziggy, just so they won’t be there tempting me.

Another rude awakening was my cholesterol. Total 254, LDL 177 (!).

I was in disbelief. When I thought about how I would treat a patient with my numbers, I’d reach right for a prescription pad and start a statin drug (like simvastatin [Zocor] or atorvastatin [Lipitor]).

But like a lot of doctors, I’ve long felt impervious to the maladies that I treat.

No more.

Over the holidays I read a New Yorker profile of John Mackey, founder & CEO of Whole Foods, in which he mentioned a book called “The Engine 2 Diet,” by a Texas firefighter and former pro triathlete named Rip Esselstyn.

Since I grew up in the same Cleveland suburb as Esselstyn’s family, I was intrigued enough to buy the book.

For the last four weeks, I changed my eating habits accordingly:

1. No meat (surprising: no fish or poultry, either. Strictly vegetarian. ”Nothing with a face or a mother.” Eggs are out, too. Esselstyn does permit tapering down the meat habit, allowing small portions of chicken or fish the first couple of weeks to acclimate. I went cold tofu, though.).

2. No dairy (even yogurt, which I frequently tout to patients as a healthy food).

3. All the fruit and vegetables I want.

4. No oils (this surprised me, given all the attention to olive oil and things like flax seed oil that are high in unsaturated fats).

5. No refined grains (whole grain is ok, high in fiber!)

6. Sweets: only acceptables are fruits (“nature’s candy”), a little bit of sorbet, and a small amount of Dark (>70% cocoa) chocolate (avoid milk!).

The book promises much to those that follow its contents: more vigor, lower weight, lower cholesterol, and by inference (and looking at the exercise photographs near the middle) greater accomplishment and happiness.

Esselstyn is bursting with optimism that his diet can prevent (and even reverse) heart disease. He bases his ideas on the work of luminaries like Dean Ornish at UCSF, who has shown in the medical literature that extremely low fat diets (less than 12% of total calories from fat) improve symptoms, longevity (reducing heart attacks) and cause coronary plaques to actually regress. Esselstyn’s own father, a longtime Cleveland Clinic surgeon, published his own similarly themed book, “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.”

Esselstyn says that his data shows that total and LDL cholesterol can be significantly lowered, with a weight loss in the range of ten pounds in four weeks.

Staying on the diet requires planning. I needed to change the way I shop for groceries, and scour nutrition labels more carefully than I ever used to. By planning ahead, you have a small nutritious snack (e.g. a handful of healthy nuts) at the ready so that you don’t resort to junk food or quick, easy thought-free eating.

How’d I do?

After exactly four weeks of following the Engine 2 diet (with only a bit of cheating–a splash of non-fat milk in my coffee, occasional cheese on a whole wheat sandwich, a cupcake for my sister-in-law’s birthday), I was astonished:

I’ve dropped ten pounds. I feel remarkably different: More energetic. I sleep better. I have few dips in energy throughout the day. Aside from one day each of the first two weeks (where to satisfy my sweet tooth I overindulged in peanut butter or almond butter), I find I’m no longer craving any of the junkier things that I used to. I feel much more in control of my eating–both what I eat and the quantity. I’m reminded how as a culture we habitually overeat. We could all get by on so much less.

Here’s the stunner: Remember my total cholesterol of 254, LDL 177? After four weeks, the new numbers are total cholesterol 160, LDL 103. I think I’m going to keep this up.

John Schumann is an internal medicine physician at the University of Chicago who blogs at GlassHospital .

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/03/vegetarian-high-cholesterol.html

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
oh yes, did i say that having a cholesterol level not exceeding 150 will ensure a life without heart attack.

but if you are a sinkie, pls raise it to 500 and drop dead immediately.

Last edited:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just received my medicaL report today, aLL ok; except for this 338 number..to which my physician
As i come from a famiLy with history of high choLesteroL readings, shouLd i be wary too much then..

At the look of it, very bad. But still depend on your LDL and HDL ratio.

Either you go for the quick fix by taking statin or go on a high fiber diet plus aerobic exercise to raise your HDL level.

Statin can raise the liver ALT level drastically and cause liver failure in the long run which is a more serious problem. It affects about 10% of the people who took statin. For them, they have no choice but to make a lifestyle change.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
After 8 months of taking lipitor, have to stop because my liver ALT raises to 220 ( normal range 7-56), but my total cholesterol was good (150) even after eating all the garbage food.

Now can only resort to high fiber diet 2 out of 3 meals a day.

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
oh yes, did i say that having a cholesterol level not exceeding 150 will ensure a life without heart attack.

but if you are a sinkie, pls raise it to 500 and drop dead immediately.

you are so unkind and so cruel in your comments. i hope your cholesterol is good. wonderful post. FUCK YOU!!!

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
levels if drop below 200, then you're a walking heart attack waiting to happen............................

cholesterol is needed to repair body tissues, especially to keep arteries supple.....................don't fall for the statin drug scam that will rob you of your money and life !

Why is it so? First time I heard of this.

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal

Means you are getting a stroke soon. Go to NNI, recently heard the service there damn tok goong

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi kopiuncle, HDL now 42 and LDL now 64.

Dont remember what were the previous scores but I think the good cholesterol was still good previously (maybe because I eat a lot of salmon and fish) but my bad cholesterol was not good, so the old ratio was also high.

Anyway, the current scores were definitely a big improvement and was a surprise to myself as well.

I think finding a sport that one likes is a big must as otherwise it is difficult to sustain.
Eating sensibly is easier, as one gets older (and wiser?), I noticed that myself and people around me tend to choose a healthier diet and smaller portions, with the occasional indulgences.

Hopefully can be "wean"ed off Lipitor... and still have a good number below 200.

Max

Uncle Kopi!
Your LDL less than 100???
Sure or not.
Prepare for funeral!

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hypercholesterolemia.gif

More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol#Hypercholesterolemia

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After 8 months of taking lipitor, have to stop because my liver ALT raises to 220 ( normal range 7-56), but my total cholesterol was good (150) even after eating all the garbage food.

Now can only resort to high fiber diet 2 out of 3 meals a day.

If the healing is not done in a natural way, the problem will go to another organ. Hope it will not go to ur dick, later cannot stand.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If the healing is not done in a natural way, the problem will go to another organ. Hope it will not go to ur dick, later cannot stand.
You are actuaLLy quite right bro..i abstained from taking aLLopurinoL on a permanent basis even though i am
aLways gout-prone, aLL because i just cant bear to watch my didi not abLe to do anything; except peeing..:smile: