• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

We are Second-Class Citizens in our Country

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
There is very little hope in sinkieland, when 70% keeps doing in the 30%. I gave up after GE2015, and I applaud those who are still trying.

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies will go the way of the Dodo bird in the next 2 decades

people who vote to be replaced by FTs deserve to go extinct................

TS is a big BLUR-FARK.................Sinkies are 5th class citizens............

1st) any Angmohs
2nd) FTs
3rd) PRs
4th) new citizens

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is very little hope in sinkieland, when 70% keeps doing in the 30%. I gave up after GE2015, and I applaud those who are still trying.

GE2015 results is not the end of the world. Local sinkies must learn to be positive in life and push for a two-party system in our sinkie lifetime while we can :p

WP still has 6 seats to start with ... even winning 1 more new SMC in the next GE will still see as an improvement.

Push for a two-party system if you want to have a better future in Sinkieland :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
GE2015 results is not the end of the world. Local sinkies must learn to be positive in life and push for a two-party system in our sinkie lifetime while we can :p

WP still has 6 seats to start with ... even winning 1 more new SMC in the next GE will still see as an improvement.

Push for a two-party system if you want to have a better future in Sinkieland :smile:

But you are a PAP supporter. FT policy converted you.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Yes, being positive is a good thing. But being realistic is more life sustaining and better for one's sanity.

One more SMC during next GE? If so, how many GEs must sinkies go through in order to get a two party system? We won't be around in 100 years to witness it. So, it's wishful thinking for anything meaningful to happen during our lifetime.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is the regional hq and they need multilingual people who can speak regional languages and understand local culture. And that is why many malaysian chinese are hired in the marketing offices.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure if you got the year wrong. Indians at that time were only allowed into construction and shipbuilding with a very limited quota in other sectors. Only those from the 1st world would get a pass. It was only in late 90s, that it was significantly expanded.

The manufacturing sector was certainly moving to the likes of Malaysia and Thailand during the early 90s. National Semiconductor, Apple, and the disk drive lot etc.

Migration in the early 90s was mainly around the pull dimension. There was hardly a push factor as underemployment and retrenchment were not an issue as the economy recovered since the late 80s.

Singaporeans migrating then were Eurasians, well educated and western inclined Singapore families and those who left because they feared that their children would suffer thru Mandarin classes. The minorities also left because they thought the PAP was becoming sino-centric with Speak Mandarin campaign.

The early 90s were also politically more exciting as the PAP was kneecapped during the GE1991 having lost an unprecedented 4 seats and people actually thought that PAP was declining and a more democratic form of politics will evolve, again no push factors.

The Indian incursion into Singapore companies began in the early 1990s. It started with a trickle but it soon became obvious that once an Indian became a manager he would start filling vacancies from his clan.

At the same time it was pretty obvious that manufacturing in Singapore was doomed. American MNC had already started packing their bags for cheaper locations. I did not want to be the one to switch of the lights and lock the door for good.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
told by an ah neh to another ah neh.... sinkies are easily intimidated. no wonder sinkies' eventual extinction in own country is a foregone conclusion.

In Singapore, Indians at Work Can be Very Intimidating
An expat must adapt to the genteel workplace in Singapore, says Bharat Puri, Cadbury�s global chocolate category director

BY FORBES INDIA
PUBLISHED: Jul 6, 2009

Singapore is an incredibly efficient place. You can feel [it] from the time you land at Changi Airport — you always leave the airport in just 10 minutes flat despite having checked in baggage! It’s amazing how you can get off an Airbus 380, which has 400-plus passengers, retrieve your luggage in a jiffy and be on your way home in that short a time. That’s just one indication of how the system works in Singapore.

When I moved from India to Singapore in early 2006, I soon realised that for expatriates, Singapore is a very easy place to move into. Everything works like clockwork here. For instance, when you move to Singapore, you need an Employment Pass that allows you to work here. My Employment Pass took all of five days to process! Finding accommodation was another pleasant surprise. [If] you see a place and like it, [you] make an offer to the landlord and move in 15 days later.

Even Dependent Passes, [which] I needed for my wife and children, are usually very easy to get. But mine ran into a problem. My marriage was conducted according to Hindu customs, so I did not have a marriage certificate — and the authorities do not issue a Dependent Pass without one. I had to go back to India to get an official marriage certificate made.

For an Indian, it is extremely easy to move to Singapore because close to 10 percent of the population here is of Indian origin. And now thanks to banks and financial companies that have regional headquarters in Singapore, there is a substantial expatriate population of Indians here. In fact, there are so many Indians here that Bollywood movies are released here on the same day as in India. You get Indian food easily — even chaat.

But you do miss the hustle bustle and chaos of a large city like Bombay or New York, where there is a lot more happening culturally. For me, Singapore is like coming back to a cocoon because I travel so much. Each city has a character — and Singapore’s character is all about being efficient and well run.

A Melting Pot
The work environment here and in multinational companies especially, is extremely multi-cultural. Cadbury in Singapore is very diverse. It’s about adjusting to several different cultures. When I came here, I had a Mexican, a Japanese, an Indian and an Australian in my team, apart from native Singaporeans.

The fascinating thing is seeing the differences in culture across countries and seeing how work gets done across all of them. So if I have to launch a new chocolate and discuss this with an Australian, the discussion will be very direct and clear. Hierarchy is not a big deal in this context.

The Japanese, on the other hand, will be incredibly polite and will respect hierarchy. There will be no loud voices when you are holding a discussion with a Japanese. So that helps you build an understanding of how the Japanese system works. I have noticed one trait in both the Japanese and Chinese: There is no disagreement in public and a person shouldn’t lose face. So they normally don’t contradict others.

Singapore has a more Western influence in that sense. Singaporeans tend to be very diligent, hardworking and process-oriented. The difference between large emerging markets and Singapore is that a Singaporean doesn’t have to fight for a train seat or a bus seat. So the level of aggression in them is much less. They often get disconcerted due to the aggression in Indians. During meetings, Indians tend to debate passionately. But the next day it’s all back to normal. A Singaporean colleague saw this and got very disconcerted. She thought that the Indians would start hitting each other! I used to be very strident with my point of view in meetings. And then I realised no one spoke after I did — I now speak much more softly!

Red Carpet
Doing business is very easy in Singapore. They have such an evolved system in place. The Economic Development Board (EDB) of Singapore is extremely proactive. They hold regular sessions with us on our plans. They also help us identify the next set of opportunities and we tell them about the constraints we face. We usually meet them once in six months. But if need be, we meet them more often as well.

A few years ago, Cadbury moved its regional headquarters to Singapore and then we established a science and technology centre here to conduct research and development for gum and candy for Asia-Pacific markets. The EDB stepped in to understand what we needed. They helped us work through the modalities. Setting this up was more like having a partnership with the government — in India or most other countries we would have done it on our own.
Singapore is very clear about where [its] strengths lie — hence, the stress on the financial services industry, high-technology and biotech, and the whole shift towards the knowledge economy. You just need to see the development happening in the new technology parks to believe this.

(As told to Neelima Mahajan-Bansal)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am not sure if you got the year wrong. Indians at that time were only allowed into construction and shipbuilding with a very limited quota in other sectors. Only those from the 1st world would get a pass. It was only in late 90s, that it was significantly expanded.

The manufacturing sector was certainly moving to the likes of Malaysia and Thailand during the early 90s. National Semiconductor, Apple, and the disk drive lot etc.

Migration in the early 90s was mainly around the pull dimension. There was hardly a push factor as underemployment and retrenchment were not an issue as the economy recovered since the late 80s.

Singaporeans migrating then were Eurasians, well educated and western inclined Singapore families and those who left because they feared that their children would suffer thru Mandarin classes. The minorities also left because they thought the PAP was becoming sino-centric with Speak Mandarin campaign.

The early 90s were also politically more exciting as the PAP was kneecapped during the GE1991 having lost an unprecedented 4 seats and people actually thought that PAP was declining and a more democratic form of politics will evolve, again no push factors.
I worked in manufacturing. EDB gave the green light to hire from India because of the difficulty in getting local technical staff. Even in the early days we found significant fraud amongst the applicants. We'd hire someone who supposedly had a diploma in engineering and then found that he could not even do simple calculations.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, being positive is a good thing. But being realistic is more life sustaining and better for one's sanity.

One more SMC during next GE? If so, how many GEs must sinkies go through in order to get a two party system? We won't be around in 100 years to witness it. So, it's wishful thinking for anything meaningful to happen during our lifetime.

It is also good to be realistic but not too realistic if not everything become stagnant in our life.

Between Jan 1997 to May 2011, the oppositions had only 2 seats and people alway think that it’s impossible for an opposition party to win a GRC. But it was the people who voted WP into winning one GRC :smile:

No wonder employers prefer to hire FT not because FT are cheaper than sinkies. Employers will not want to hire sinkies with the above defeatist mindset.

That the reason why many sinkies are still unemployed and roaming around on the streets :(

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
wp-1461453298146.jpeg

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
I worked in manufacturing. EDB gave the green light to hire from India because of the difficulty in getting local technical staff. Even in the early days we found significant fraud amongst the applicants. We'd hire someone who supposedly had a diploma in engineering and then found that he could not even do simple calculations.

if you were in flextronics, i believe we rubbed shoulders

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did not realise that even with the small cohort admitted in those days, that their qualifications were questionable.

It was also the same with the whites to this day. When Nick Leeson was arrested, people were shocked that he did not have enough O levels to even qualify as a teller in the UK but was given a employment pass. He initially could even get a pass into Singapore and had to work for their Jakarta Office.

Its sad that the system is so bad.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will gjve you an early IT story, big jnternational company here hired AH neh expert more than half microsoft certs are fake. There never was any reason to even 20 years ago

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Flextronics was a customer and a pretty nasty one too. :smile:
flextronics was originally a sillycon valley company and went pubic in 1981. in 1990 it was acquired in a leverage buyout, became private and moved its hq to sg. between 1990 and 1993 as a private company and based in sg it hired early batches of ah nehs from india to cut cost. you can say it was an early sg based company that opened the flood gates to ah nehs from india. american vc's which funded flextronics, one of them sequoia capital, and turned it pubic again in 1994 learned from this and used the "best practice" to hire cheap labor (lower cost to be more exact) from india for all their other ventures in sillycon valley. before y2k became a byword in the valley, hordes of ah neh tech workers were already swarming the u.s. (all thanks to sg for the best practice). by 1998-99, it was panic button and all companies hired bunch of ah nehs to rehash software and plug the y2k gap. at that time skill was not a factor, much of the work were just data correction and re-entry. and these nehs would stay and bloat their resumes sky high as though they were saviors of the american economy. we all know by end of 2000 y2k was a false and unnecessary alarm. the surge in nehs emigrating to the u.s. and sillycon valley in particular was in the 2nd half of the 90s. now we know sg was not only a factor but a progenitor in this.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
flextronics was originally a sillycon valley company and went pubic in 1981. in 1990 it was acquired in a leverage buyout, became private and moved its hq to sg. between 1990 and 1993 as a private company and based in sg it hired early batches of ah nehs from india to cut cost. you can say it was an early sg based company that opened the flood gates to ah nehs from india. american vc's which funded flextronics, one of them sequoia capital, and turned it pubic again in 1994 learned from this and used the "best practice" to hire cheap labor (lower cost to be more exact) from india for all their other ventures in sillycon valley. before y2k became a byword in the valley, hordes of ah neh tech workers were already swarming the u.s. (all thanks to sg for the best practice). by 1998-99, it was panic button and all companies hired bunch of ah nehs to rehash software and plug the y2k gap. at that time skill was not a factor, much of the work were just data correction and re-entry. and these nehs would stay and bloat their resumes sky high as though they were saviors of the american economy. we all know by end of 2000 y2k was a false and unnecessary alarm. the surge in nehs emigrating to the u.s. and sillycon valley in particular was in the 2nd half of the 90s. now we know sg was not only a factor but a progenitor in this.
PIONEER!!!!