• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Walter Woon Claims He Was Just Joking

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knowing that he is really in hot soup over his remarks, Walter Woon now claims that he is just "kidding", and was being "facetious" when speaking to the reporter. He added that his remarks on outstaying his welcome is directed more at the people he prosecuted than anything else. I didn't know that Prof Woon is so concern about the people he had put behind bars that it is enough to make him feel miserably for his two years as AG. :rolleyes:

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100424-0000063/I-was-just-kidding,-says-Walter-Woon

I was just kidding, says Walter Woon
05:55 AM Apr 24, 2010

SINGAPORE - Professor Walter Woon, who stepped down as Attorney-General recently, said he "was kidding" when he told The Straits Times (ST) last week that he had "outstayed" his welcome.

"I was kidding. I was being facetious," Prof Woon told The New Paper (TNP) in an interview published on Friday.

According to the newspaper, Prof Woon was responding to a commentary in Today written by Mr P N Balji, the director of Asian Journalism Fellowship. Mr Balji had analysed the comments by Prof Woon during his exit interviews with the media.

In his interview with ST, when asked if he had annoyed "the powers that be", Prof Woon said: "Best to leave before you outstay your welcome, although I think among some people, I've already outstayed my welcome."

Referring to the quote, Prof Woon told TNP: "I was thinking more about the people I prosecuted rather than anything else."

On the public spat he had with Dr Lee Wei Ling, director of the National Neuroscience Institute, over whether ailing C K Tang boss Tang Wee Sung should be shown some kind of mercy for trying to buy a kidney, Prof Wong said the case wasn't meant to be high-profile.

"But considering the person who was making the criticism, you can't jolly well go down and ask somebody (like a spokesman or a senior official) to cross swords with her."

When asked why he didn't stay on until Senior Counsel Sundaresh Menon takes over as Attorney-General (AG) on Oct 1, Prof Woon said: "I wasn't asked. My term was up in April. And nobody said anything about staying. And I never thought about staying on."

According to Prof Woon, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had asked to see him at the Istana earlier this year to talk about the end of his two-year term.

"If he hadn't asked to see me, I would have asked to see him because it was about time to discuss it," Prof Woon told TNP.

It was during the meeting that Prof Woon learned that Mr Menon would be taking over from him as AG.

"It was like okay, fine," Prof Woon said when the paper asked him for his reaction.

S

suicidalpap

Ass Loong probably called him in the middle of the night to warn him on the consequence of revealing the state's secret.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joking? Has the Shitty Times degenerate into a daily joke book? Anyone else wanna contribute jokes?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IMHO the trouble maker is P N Balji & his meaningless commentary in the Today newspaper.

The ex-TNP & ex-Today editor wrote a neither-here-nor-there article trying to anaylse Walter Woon's exit interview & speculating what could be read in between the lines.

Of course, Walter Woon let off some steam & said some mildly unpolitically correct remarks that can be considered 'bitching' about things...

Balji's efforts only serve to put a BIG MAGNIFYING GLASS over his remarks & made life difficult for him.... (of course followed by netizen reaction & Online Citizen analysis of analysis etc )

hence , poor Walter Woon gotta retract, paper over, hmm-emmm a bit.

Let him be ..... poor chap should have been an academic all along instead of harbouring some public service aspirations yet felt it is against his temperament etc etc, too much of which is really corny :confused:

I feel at the end of the day, Walter Woon is simply not as ballsy & self-aware as Dr Arthur Lim .... who is happy in his own skin & living life to the fullest....:cool:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

39_menon.jpg

Senior Counsel Sundaresh Menon makes it .

Expect more landslide victory and migrants for the new invaders

You know .

bod09a.jpg

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a-g title dun hv ... never mind la ... still got prof ...

wait prof title oso dun hv! ... :eek:

lidat cannot la! ... :o

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good reminder to all.
Is this place one where you can speak freely without fear ?

Even a law professor,former ambassador and former AG is put into this uncomfortable position. What about the man in the street like you and me.

For how long do we want our children to grow up in this climate of fear.?
Can a society like that thrive?

Balancemind

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is just tasting the same bitter medicine that he dishes out to the 3 citizens who wore the famous kangaroo tee shirt and for that he prosecuted them for contempt until all of them have to spent time in Queenstown Rest House. You reap what your sow and that is what he is now in. A garang AG is now only a wimp and have to withdraw his remark. What a joke. A far cry from our former Solicitor General Francis Seow who has the gut not only to uphold the law and when challenged by the Executive fought to the end. That is what we called 'garang'. He clearly lacks that quality.

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
i read up alternatiivenews that the judge who let off the 3 sdp for marching down orchard is going to end his job soon enough too.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Balji needs content for his newspapers and his shows, so he keeps stirring shit and people too free jump to so many conclusions

Why don't they publish the fact that Balji flew and live first class with TT Durai during the NKF saga

This is public information revealed in the auditor's report but all the media ignored it

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The way I look at it, even a learned professor, former ambassador and now ex-AG also cannot say something on his mind or express himself freely without having to correct himself! How pathetic!Obviously, he's practising self-censorship!:(

jw5

Loyal
A good reminder to all.
Is this place one where you can speak freely without fear ?

Even a law professor,former ambassador and former AG is put into this uncomfortable position. What about the man in the street like you and me.

For how long do we want our children to grow up in this climate of fear.?
Can a society like that thrive?
Obviously, we can't speak freely without fear.
But I think this case is more an issue of people being able to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong, and having the conviction to do what they really think is right.
There are some people who fundamentally believe in what the pap do and believe in the system that has been created, but they also believe that they should continue to do what they think is right. And in SG, you have to do what is right, because if you do what is wrong, the consequences will be severe.
But they don't realize that when they do what they think is right, they still have to keep an eye and ear out for signs of disapproval and make adjustments wherever and whenever necessary, in order to survive or thrive in the system.
Otherwise, don't be in the system.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously, we can't speak freely without fear.
But I think this case is more an issue of people being able to distinguish between what is right and what is wrong, and having the conviction to do what they really think is right.
There are some people who fundamentally believe in what the pap do and believe in the system that has been created, but they also believe that they should continue to do what they think is right. And in SG, you have to do what is right, because if you do what is wrong, the consequences will be severe.
But they don't realize that when they do what they think is right, they still have to keep an eye and ear out for signs of disapproval and make adjustments wherever and whenever necessary, in order to survive or thrive in the system.
Otherwise, don't be in the system.
Those are silly people who kena conned by MM LKY,ex-president Ong a most prominent one.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The way I look at it, even a learned professor, former ambassador and now ex-AG also cannot say something on his mind or express himself freely without having to correct himself! How pathetic!Obviously, he's practising self-censorship!:(

End of the day, it is not anything except being politically correct. WW's intellect level too high to be in that category. He had to leave.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't walter woon the guy who used to be an mp; and who was one of the few who spoke out against raising minster pay, only to be slammed by lky.
And then when it came to a vote in parliament; he abstained from the vote.
I think he is the kind that doesn't dare take anything too far, even if he feels its the right thing to do.
This lack of conviction was probably the reason why he didn't progress far in politics; change his mind too easily or in face of criticism.
Lky cannot stand this type of person; no matter how smart.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't walter woon the guy who used to be an mp; and who was one of the few who spoke out against raising minster pay, only to be slammed by lky.
And then when it came to a vote in parliament; he abstained from the vote.
I think he is the kind that doesn't dare take anything too far, even if he feels its the right thing to do.
This lack of conviction was probably the reason why he didn't progress far in politics; change his mind too easily or in face of criticism.
Lky cannot stand this type of person; no matter how smart.
You Chao Sinkie
At least he got balls to voice it out

Do you dare to talk in public and object to PAP policies?

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo: